Anyone have the Sheriff's department screw up your application?

This is a discussion on Anyone have the Sheriff's department screw up your application? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got off the phone with the state police. My wife and I turned in our applications the first of March and she received her ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Anyone have the Sheriff's department screw up your application?

Just got off the phone with the state police. My wife and I turned in our applications the first of March and she received her flash pack last week. Knowing they often process at different times I waited till today to call. The people at the state police were very helpful and promptly found out what went wrong. Turns out they had to return my forms to the Sheriff's office because they forgot a signature. With the additional snail mail time I'm still awaiting one more background check :( They said I should hear something in a couple of weeks. Having bought three holsters in the past two months I'm just sitting here frustrated. Has something similar happened to any of you out there?

Guess we in FL are lucky pretty straight forward pretty fast

Not like that, but I almost got denied by mistake.

Apparently there's someone out there with a name similar to mine and a close birth date. When the PD ran my background check, that's the record they pulled up. Only because I had a connected family member was it caught before the denial came in. All of my 'new' firearms purchases have been since my permit was issued, and I always put my SSN on the NICS form because of it.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Yep, I had been waiting for my permit for 3 months and when I called the CHL department in Austin, they told me that they had to reprint my license because they had put the wrong address on it. It took them an extra 3 weeks to get it to me.

Also, back in 2007, my company got a big contract to build AFB housing and I had to apply for a badge. I was denied for a week because someone in Maryland (I have never been there) with my name and birthdate was wanted for felony animal cruelty charges and he was on the run.
    Ya, the guys came up with some pretty colorful jokes when they heard that one.
    All is good though.

Posted using Tapatalk.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Guess we in FL are lucky pretty straight forward pretty fast
    Not necessarily...my wife and I both sent out packets in back in March. I got my permit in the mail in the middle of May. She still hasn't gotten hers. I had her call yesterday as it was day 91 or 92. They told her that "something came up in her background check that needed further investigation" funny since she just got her Colorado permit back in December with no issues.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Other than obtaining fingerprints, the local sheriffs or PDs have nothing to do with carry licenses in FL.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

When I received my license for the first time, I can't remember how long it took, but I later noticed that they screwed up the address numbers on the actual license. So just a heads up, when you do end up receiving it, make sure that you read every detail to ensure that it's all correct.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

First permit in Az they couldn't get clear prints so when I went back in finger printed myself week later got permit

VIP Member
    I had a funny mistake in VA when I applied for my first permit. I had to take my DD214 in so they could see my military pistol qual to fulfill my training requirement.

This was a good while before the CC boom really kicked in and the deputy was mean, grumpy and old. He was giving me the cold shoulder and working very slow on my application until he read my DD214. He then straightened up, got real friendly and started moving twice as fast as he was before. I wondered why his demeanor had changed but I kept my mouth shut and let him work.

As I was leaving his curiosity finally got the better of him and he asked me what I had done in the Navy to receive the Bronze Star. I told him I didn't receive the Bronze Star and he said it was on my DD214. I whipped my paperwork back out and he pointed to my awards section. I had been awarded the SW Asia service ribbon with Bronze Star Cluster for having deployed there twice. : )
    AZJD1968 and mprp like this.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member
    I sent my brothers and my app. out to FL. a few weeks ago . They sent his back saying it was incomplete and the fingerprint card is wrong . It was done at a DMV type location . They say the police have to do them and that they were not stamped and they were stamped on the back from who did them . Now i'm thinking mine is coming back.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Other than obtaining fingerprints, the local sheriffs or PDs have nothing to do with carry licenses in FL.
    True...it's the dept of agriculture. My point was that while her background check ran through fine in CO there is a holdup due to her background check in FL. FL was a pain in the butt when it came to her DL too as her birth certificate has a different last name than her maiden name was. Even though her documentation was good enough to get a passport and a CO Drivers License but they still gave her the runaround when she went in to get her FL Drivers License.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Considering the number of application's processed by any state that has the sheriff's departments do it you have to expect mistakes and oversights will be made, but my impression that percentage is very very low. Some states don't have the digital finger print scanners and have to use ink on card. This can cause delays and bad prints to be taken.

All in all I think most do an outstanding job.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

VIP Member
    Can anyone tell me if Virginia sends you a receipt they received your forms for CCP ( non-res )
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

I've never heard of this even in some of the smaller counties and I'm certain Fayette SO does enough there is no "excuse" for this (maybe a new deputy or someone made an honest mistake I suppose?)

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My wife filed all necessary paperwork and electronically finger printed at a regional Dept. of Agriculture office and got her CWFL in 23 days last year. The office personnel were very accommodating and guided her through the application process.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links