When seconds count, the Police are only minutes away.

This is a discussion on When seconds count, the Police are only minutes away. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We've all heard that saying before, but this recent news story sweeping the gun forms really drives that point home. Check out this blog post ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: When seconds count, the Police are only minutes away.

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar

We've all heard that saying before, but this recent news story sweeping the gun forms really drives that point home.

Check out this blog post and please share your thoughts here. I'm curious what everyone's take is on the event.

When seconds count the police are minutes away | The Bang Switch
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

VIP Member
    I've used the phrase many times to explain why a person would need/want to carry a gun. That and "I carry a gun because a policeman is too heavy." They're humorous but truthful. The police will be the first to tell you that they are not here to protect us from all dangers. Most of the time, they can only respond to a crime that's already happened. Our lives and the lives of our loved ones are our personal responsibility.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    The police will be the first to tell you that they are not here to protect us from all dangers. Most of the time, they can only respond to a crime that's already happened. Our lives and the lives of our loved ones are our personal responsibility.
    This^^^^^^^^
    Police rarely stop a crime, simply through the nature of the sytem, where you have to call after a crime has been committed for them to respond. I have never thought it otherwise. Once a crime is in progress it is almost always up to the victims to put an end to it. through self protection, my door remains locked at all times, and I have a gun on me at all times as well. I have no problems being responsible for my own safety, but all the BG will see is bright flash....
    Anubis, BenGoodLuck and Ghost1958 like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

The mass shootings have done more to turn me off of police than anything. One shooting in particular; The West Va Tech shooting.

That was the last straw for me. The footage showed LE hiding behind dumpsters while the shooter carried on killing as many as he could. How victims are treated AFTERWARDS also ticks me off. They come out, under the muzzles of every gun in sight, hands held high, etc.

I understand the reason for the latter; to make sure "hostage takers" or bad guys are not mixed in with them. But to see the guys who hid behind dumpsters DOING NOTHING to help, then yell orders while training their weapons on the people THAT THEY DID NOT HELP, tears it.

The phrase "Cops only show up to draw chalk outlines", resonates with me.

Btw, Im glad cops are out there. They do lots of other good things, but in a mass shooting situation, they have been pretty worthless.
    006.9V2.1 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I have heard another line, don't know how true, that the average number of rounds used to take out a bad guy by LE is 13 while the average for a person with a license is 3 rounds. It is not uncommon to read where LEO's fire hundreds of rounds to take out an unarmed bad guy. The NY Empire State Bldg incident comes to mind, more civilians were hit by by stray LEO's bullets/fragments than the number of hits they made on the bad guy. I guess the saying "spray and pray" holds true. I don't believe one innocent by standers life is worth the immediate take down of a bad guy. In a military combat situation if civilians are injured/ killed there is a through investigation. If it is found that policy/ procedure was not followed someone will pay dearly and it will not be a paid short vacation and then back to duty.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

YOU are your own First Responder.
    BenGoodLuck and KLR2007 like this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

VIP Member
    It's one more example to show my wife and some other family members (who are pro-2nd Amendment but don't want a gun) the importance of owning a firearm and being trained how to use it. But like has been said before...you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. That's true here. I'm thankful my wife is all in favor of me owning guns, but she's not there yet. We'll continue to talk, I'll continue to listen and ask questions/listen, I'll continue to set a good example, and maybe one day in the near future she'll make that decision for herself. I can't force it on her. Until then, I'll continue to pray and trust God to protect her (and my family) and do my part if the need (and I hope it never does) arrives to defend us against evil.
    Last edited by srings; June 28th, 2013 at 12:21 AM.
    DJC7 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Definitely up there with the truest words ever spoken. Though I live "near" the beach, I'm out far enough in the sticks with the corn fields, pastures, and dirt roads. If I don't do my part, they'll most likely be investigating my death by the time they arrive.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I respect our deputies I've worked with some in other agencies. At least one I had the privilege of training. If afforded the opportunity I'm sure they would defend me or others from attack. It's a big county and some times there are only two deputies on for the whole thing. If a home invasion were to occur at my house it's up to me to deal with it. The deputies will deal with the aftermath.

While it is true, that the police are minutes away I have come to realize that being a cop is a thankless job. It seems everyone is on there backs for something or another.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

They're not coming..................save yourself.

Actually called 911 in Newark NJ 2 different occasions and was told they had no one to come.........

1- Robbery of our business in progress.
    2- Bad car crash, man went through the windshield.
    StormRhydr likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    While it is true, that the police are minutes away I have come to realize that being a cop is a thankless job. It seems everyone is on there backs for something or another.
    Harryball , I don't think like that i am thankful for the police . I think the main point here is that we need to be able to handle things till the good guys (girls ) arrive . If it takes 10 minutes we may not have 10 minutes.
    And Thank You for the work you do .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Shared the op-ed with everyone...
    The three most important components of stopping power are: bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.
    -Evan Marshall

Lead Moderator
    Truthfully , with budget cuts and such local PD response here is much longer in many cases. Multiple layers of security can help you prepare in case the worse happens .
    Aceoky likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Be sure to read the "this article" link in the blog. A good read on the aftermath of British gun control. It's exactly the direction this country is trying to go.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links