Help Choosing a Holster

Help Choosing a Holster

This is a discussion on Help Choosing a Holster within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is my first post here, even though I've been reading for a while and gained a lot of valuable information. I'm 44, and have ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ndpuckhead
  • 1 Post By geoexchange
  • 1 Post By Steve S

Thread: Help Choosing a Holster

Help Choosing a Holster

This is my first post here, even though I've been reading for a while and gained a lot of valuable information.

I'm 44, and have been carrying concealed for over 20 years. I am an NRA Instructor and Coach in various disciplines, and have lots of little things hanging on my wall to show how perfeshonal I am :-).

My question is this: Can anyone guide me in the right direction for a concealed carry holster for summer use? I've been trying for over 20 years to find the right combination of gun/holster and still haven't hit it. I've spent tons of money, bought high quality and low - Crossbreed, Galco, etc. I have the normal big box of holsters that don't work....

Here are my conditions and situation:

I usually wear wrangler jeans, boots, and a t-shirt unless I'm in front of a customer. Then it's tucked in dress shirt, jeans, and boots.
    I prefer a .45 ACP in 1911 or Glock 36. Recently started carrying an LCP for comfort and concealability in a Fobus paddle.
    I am driving in my pickup a LOT. Like around 50-60k miles per year minimum for work.
    I am sitting at my desk when I'm not in my truck.
    I own a small farm and am very active outside - tractors, cows, horses, fences, ATV's etc.
    I am in the public a lot - teaching classes, etc.
    I am 230 pounds, 6' tall (but losing weight). I would be considered a big guy by most.
    I live and work around states that require concealment.

Here is what hasn't worked:

IWB - too uncomfortable while driving
    OWB - comfortable when driving, very hard to conceal with jeans and t-shirt with the .45's. Sweat contact, no "real" retention, especially while working outside.
    Ankle - I wear boots 99% of the time.
    "Clips" - no protection to trigger, and skin/sweat contact to firearm. (which is why I switched out my beloved 1911's for a Glock)
    Shoulder Harness - Too hard to conceal under t-shirt.
    Front/Appendix carry - I can't sit down comfortably.
    Pocket Holsters (LCP) - don't fit well in wranglers front pocket. Have not tried back pocket, but sitting/driving may be a problem.
    Paddle Holsters - too hard to move around while seated in truck to be comfortable all day.

Here is what "kind of" works:

Blackhawk Serpa: Rides high around my spare tire which I like. Retention while bouncing around the pasture is nice. Hangs too far away from my body - belt or paddle and makes it hard to conceal.
    Belt Slide Holsters: Even with a good gun belt, my fat roll pushes them out, but they are great for in the truck or seated.

Are there any other options out there to fit my needs? Again, my primary need to conceal (in order) is Glock 36, 1911, LCP.
    I really don't want to wear a shirt over my t-shirt, it's just too hot while working outside.

(In the fall/spring/winter I wear a bigger sweatshirt or shirt over a t-shirt, and carry with a belt slide)

Am I just searching for the Holy Grail? Am I being a whiny little snivelling pansy boy? Trust me, if I could, it would be my Super Redhawk open carry for everyday carry!!

Thanks!

1911 is just a big gun to conceal, but for your G36 and LCP give a Remora holster a try. They are $25 without any customization and I have one for every gun I carry regularly. I carry a Glock 19 or 23, or S&W M&P 40c IWB with one and I appendix or pocket carry a Ruger LCR as well in a Remora holster.

I also like any and all Comp-Tac holsters.

About the only sytle you haven't mentioned was a bra holster, but I'm assuming that's out of the question?
    protek likes this.
    M&P Shield 9mm for EDC
    Ruger P90 for the nightstand

IWB works really well for me with a G36 in almost any attire, and is comfortable driving with the gun at 4:30, but access is not as fast as I want it to be. I know you said IWB hasn't worked, but you didn't say what position it was at. Just something to think about, and worth trying. I've driven 4 hours straight with my gun at 4:30, and I promise you that my empty wallet is more uncomfortable than my gun.
    Something witty

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Try a SmartCarry yet? 30 day free trial, if it doesn't work no big deal - Full size 1911 is what the inventor of it carries.

Welcome to the forum!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I'll look into the smart carry, and I'll try the 4:30 position. A bra is out of the question - I am losing weight and it would be too hard to be fitted for my shrinking man cans.

Thanks for all the replies. Keep them coming if you can...
    chief8991 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by geoexchange View Post
    I'll look into the smart carry, and I'll try the 4:30 position. A bra is out of the question - I am losing weight and it would be too hard to be fitted for my shrinking man cans.

Thanks for all the replies. Keep them coming if you can...
    The only negatives for me on 4:30 is that I have to reach behind me to draw (also a positive), and access is not fast as I would like it when driving. It is so much more comfortable than 3:00 because the holster was putting so much pressure on my hip. I felt like I was wearing pants two sizes too small. And 4:30 conceals pretty well, except for crouching, even if bending at the knees.
    Something witty

I used to wear my clothes too tight. I now have went with looser shirts and pants, and am a lot more comfortable, and much easier to conceal.

I think with the weight loss appendix position might become more comfortable. I use a Remora at 12:30 and the lack of a clip allows me to shift it up a bit for sitting or driving. Full sweat shield and the reinforced top option will give you good protection and reholstering capability. I realize everyone is different, but it's working well for me (6'1", 200lbs) and my XDm 45 compact.
    "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king."

OP, the only thing I can think of to suggest is maybe a belly band. You've tried just about everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by OldandInTheWay View Post
    I think with the weight loss appendix position might become more comfortable. I use a Remora at 12:30 and the lack of a clip allows me to shift it up a bit for sitting or driving. Full sweat shield and the reinforced top option will give you good protection and reholstering capability. I realize everyone is different, but it's working well for me (6'1", 200lbs) and my XDm 45 compact.
    I love your avatar Gort. Remember, "Klaatu barada nikto".
    farsidefan1 likes this.

Sponsored Links