1000th post!

This is a discussion on 1000th post! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone, For my 1000th post, I thought I'd share a little about the last 2 weeks. I traveled to Israel to attend my daughter's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: 1000th post!

VIP Member

1000th post!

Hi everyone,

For my 1000th post, I thought I'd share a little about the last 2 weeks. I traveled to Israel to attend my daughter's wedding. It was the first time back there since we returned to the US in 2011. Needless to say, I was unarmed during the entire period. While I survived, it was definitely not a comfortable feeling to be without my EDC for almost 11 days. I did take my Leatherman Charge (packed in my checked luggage), so while I was in Israel, I at least had a knife on me the whole time. Again, nothing happened, but that's not how I want to live my life.

I am so proud to be an American (I don't care if that sounds cliched!) and to live in the great state of Texas. While we can't open carry (yet) and there are still way too many places we can't carry, I am glad that my right to carry a gun has (mostly) not be infringed. It's gotten to the point, where I am seriously considering not flying anywhere and certainly not going anywhere where I can't carry.

I am also very grateful for DC and all the wonderful people on the forum. I've learned so much from a great bunch of people. I may not agree with some of you some of the time, but I will defend all of you all of the time to express your opinions. There is a deep well of collective knowledge and experience here and I enjoy spending time reading posts, responding, and sharing my own thoughts with the gang.

Thank you all for helping me reach this milestone and here's looking to the next 1000 posts and beyond!

Regards,

Ben
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

(Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on your daughters wedding. I wish them all the luck in the world. As for your 1000th post, about time bro....
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    Ben , A very nice post ...........I am happy for your family . You are so right this is a great country , but alot of work needs to go into preserving our families futures. Many more post for us all .
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    Gun Safety is Life Safety
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine

Mavel tov to your daughter and her new husband. Welcome home!
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

VIP Member
    Congratulations to your daughter and her new husband! Glad to hear that you had a safe trip and made it back in one piece.

Are there any pictures you could post of the area? Are you up to posting about any of the sights and differences you observed?

My aunt, uncle, and cousins went to Israel about a year or so ago and had to leave early because of tensions where they were. I'm still waiting for that e-mail/mail with their photos..
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member
    Great post...thanks for sharing...way cool that your daughter's wedding was in Israel! I'm with you...we do live in a great country with all it's flaws and short-comings...it is so worthy to be defended. I/we need to continue to teach the next generation about what we have, why we have it, and how we can keep it that way.

As for your thoughts on not flying or traveling to places where you can't carry...I'm going to differ with you on that. Life is way too short to have CC determine where I might go and what I might do. I'm too big of a Cubs fan not to go to the prison state of IL and the Windy City not to catch a game at Wrigley ever again. I have some of my very best friends who live in So Cal and though I can't carry there...I can't imagine making that drive with limited vacation time...gotta fly on that one. But that's my 2 cents. You gotta do what you gotta do.
    Last edited by srings; June 28th, 2013 at 12:22 AM.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

VIP Member
    Congrats on your daughters wedding and your 100th post.

I've been to Israel about 5 times, all back in 73 (Operation Nickel Grass). We were not allowed off the Tel Aviv tarmac and we had armed guards around the aircraft the whole time. What I saw on arrival and departure it's a beautiful country. Wish I could have spent some time there sight seeing.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Congrats on your daughters wedding. I wish them all the luck in the world. As for your 1000th post, about time bro....
    Thanks, Harryball. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how people get to 17,000 + posts. I was slow from the gate but I'm picking up steam!
    Harryball likes this.
    Ben

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Mazel Tov from me as well. It is a great Brucha for you and your family. I wish them all the best.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Str8upguy View Post
    Mavel tov to your daughter and her new husband. Welcome home!
    Thanks, Str8upguy. It's great to be back.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Congratulations to your daughter and her new husband! Glad to hear that you had a safe trip and made it back in one piece.

Are there any pictures you could post of the area? Are you up to posting about any of the sights and differences you observed?

My aunt, uncle, and cousins went to Israel about a year or so ago and had to leave early because of tensions where they were. I'm still waiting for that e-mail/mail with their photos..
    We lived in Israel for 5 years (including during the 2nd war in Lebanon) and never felt in danger. The media exaggerates the violence. I'll post some pictures soon.

Quote Originally Posted by srings View Post
    Great post...thanks for sharing...way cool that your daughter's wedding was in Israel! I'm with you...we do live in a great country with all it's flaws and short-comings...it is so worthy to be defended. I/we need to continue to teach the next generation about what we have, why we have it, and how we can keep it that way.

As for your thoughts on not flying or traveling to places where you can't carry...I'm going to differ with you on that. Life is way too short to CC determine where I might go and what I might do. I'm too big of a Cubs fan not to go to the prison state of IL and the Windy City not to catch a game at Wrigley ever again. I have some of my very best friends who live in So Cal and though I can't carry there...I can't imagine making that drive with limited vacation time...gotta fly on that one. But that's my 2 cents. You gotta do what you gotta do.
    I see your point, srings. I was exaggerating, but my point is that I feel much more comfortable carrying than not and prefer to have the choice of whether I carry or not.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Congrats on your daughters wedding and your 100th post.

I've been to Israel about 5 times, all back in 73 (Operation Nickel Grass). We were not allowed off the Tel Aviv tarmac and we had armed guards around the aircraft the whole time. What I saw on arrival and departure it's a beautiful country. Wish I could have spent some time there sight seeing.
    It's even more beautiful now, and as modern as the US. The trains have free wifi, the history is amazing, the beaches are great, and the food is incredible. Too bad you couldn't enjoy your 'stay' in Israel. You should try and visit!

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    Mazel Tov from me as well. It is a great Brucha for you and your family. I wish them all the best.
    Thank you for your wishes, lionround!
    Ben

Congratulations to your daughter and new son-in-law. Glad you had a good (though sometimes uncomfortable) trip. And I agree with you, we live in the greatest Country on earth, and I thank the Good Man above that I was born an American.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

It's nice to hear someone who knows how life is outside the US point out how well we really do have it here.

Best wishes to the new Bride and Groom.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Congrats to your family.

Keep working on the TX OC.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Good post! Congrats on the wedding!
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Just another Mazel Tov to you!!!!!
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links