AZ permit renewal wait time?

This is a discussion on AZ permit renewal wait time? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone actually had a permit renewed recently here in AZ? If so, how long did it take? I'm going on 2+ months now and the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: AZ permit renewal wait time?

AZ permit renewal wait time?

Anyone actually had a permit renewed recently here in AZ? If so, how long did it take? I'm going on 2+ months now and the last status I got when I emailed DPS was that it was "still in the background check process". Last time I renewed it years ago, I lived back east and had it back in hand in 10 days from the time I dropped it in the mail. Super fast as those weren't business days. 10 days total. This time is ridiculous, especially since my current permit is expired. Yeah, I know I "mostly" don't need it...but I do...

2. Remove Ads

Renewed mine just last summer; I think it took about 6 weeks at the time. About the time I was getting nervous, it showed up.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I got my permit issued for the first time in AZ in 12 days, mailbox to mailbox, back in November. I did provide a photocopy of another state's current permit but I would imagine they still ran the background checks and all.

The major problem in AZ right now is backlog. If your renewal was received before your permit expired you will have no problem once it comes up in the rotation. The Staff at State has been reduced and they are taking a bit longer at times!
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

Quote Originally Posted by jmiked View Post
    The major problem in AZ right now is backlog. If your renewal was received before your permit expired you will have no problem once it comes up in the rotation. The Staff at State has been reduced and they are taking a bit longer at times!
    Yeah, but this is ridiculous. It's well into July and they got it in the mail at the end of April. I verified it.

My last renewal took a bit over four months. I had the luck of coming up right after the staff cuts.
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

Quote Originally Posted by jmiked View Post
    My last renewal took a bit over four months. I had the luck of coming up right after the staff cuts.
    I will definitely have to remember this next time in five years. I've been putting off a new firearm purchase because my current permit is expired and I'll have to go through the background check, which is no big deal, but I think it costs extra. Not needed with a current permit.

Renew a Concealed Weapons Permit - Arizona Department of Public Safety

From the AZ DPS web site: "The Concealed Weapons Permit Unit has a maximum of 75 days to complete the renewal process or to request additional information from the applicant."

What's missing, of course, it the "what if."

Have you called them to check status? A call is going to get more attention than an email.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Got mine last Sept. 2wks

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Renew a Concealed Weapons Permit - Arizona Department of Public Safety

From the AZ DPS web site: "The Concealed Weapons Permit Unit has a maximum of 75 days to complete the renewal process or to request additional information from the applicant."

What's missing, of course, it the "what if."

Have you called them to check status? A call is going to get more attention than an email.
    I did call, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    Got mine last Sept. 2wks
    Well, you made the cutoff before "last year's events". "Last year's events" (i.e. Newtown) was the exact excuse I was given for the delay when I called, which I did in addition to emailing. The lady I spoke with couldn't answer my question regarding the fact that we don't even need a permit to legally carry concealed, so it shouldn't have had that much of an effect. My guess is that my application is being held up at the federal level with the FBI background check, so I'm waiting on the rest of the entire country's applicants who were in line before me.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I did both. And, in addition to a call, an email is good from the standpoint that there's a record of the conversation, unlike a phone call. With their response, I have "proof" they got my application well in advance of the date where I'm no longer able to apply for a renewal and would have to start the PITA and much more expensive process (charges for full background check, fingerprints, classes, ammo, etc) all over again from scratch.

Mine's coming up for renewal soon; no packet yet.

Quote Originally Posted by scratchy wilson View Post
    Mine's coming up for renewal soon; no packet yet.
    If your address hasn't changed, they should automatically send you a renewal packet around 90 days prior to it expiring. Mine came right at about 90 days prior. Got it the first week of March and my permit expired June 2nd.

Got my renewal permit in the mail today. Finally! I called (again) last week and the lady said she'd flag my packet and move it to the front of the line. Guess it worked...
    Aceoky likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links