Springfield Armory Customer Service..Stupid ? or Hiding something?

This is a discussion on Springfield Armory Customer Service..Stupid ? or Hiding something? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was looking at the Xds .45 as my immediate next purchase until I saw some problems with the mags seating incorrectly in the weapon causing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Springfield Armory Customer Service..Stupid ? or Hiding something?

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar

Springfield Armory Customer Service..Stupid ? or Hiding something?

Was looking at the Xds .45 as my immediate next purchase until I saw some problems with the mags seating incorrectly in the weapon causing problems and the recoil spring guide rod being chewed up after a small amount of rounds put through the weapon.

I wanted to know if these problems had been addressed by Springfield Armory so I shot them an email with the problem vids showing what the problems were and asking if they had been addressed and corrected before I purchased their weapon.

Vids included here.....You can see this is an operational problem with the gun in the case of the recoil spring guide rod, and a problem with the mag seating. The mag seating incorrectly is while sitting at a table and not firing the weapon.

This was their response to the vids.

<ShannonB@springfield-armory.com>
    3:07 PM (18 hours ago)

to me
    Don,

99% of the “issues” people were having with the XDS.45 was not due to any malfunctions of the firearm itself but more on an issue with proper grip. You have to be able to grip it with authority and maintain control in between fires. “Limp-wristing” it will cause feeding, firing and ejection issues.
    I would recommend to anyone who is looking to buy this pistol to either be properly trained or educated on it, it’s not a pistol for everyone.

Thank you for choosing Springfield!
    Shannon B.
    Customer Service Rep.
    1-800-680-6866
    Springfield Armory
    Email: shannonb@springfield-armory.com

Now if they are calling these problems "Limp Wrist" problems they are either very stupid or they are hiding the fact that they have some problems with this weapon. I was very disappointed with their lack of honesty.

Vids in Question:

Mag problem 1.

Xds problem - YouTube

Mag problem 2.

Springfield XDS .45 magazine fix - YouTube

Recoil spring guide rod problem.

Springfield: XDS Problems - YouTube
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

2. Remove Ads

Have had no problems with mine, once I stopped "riding the slide" when clambering a round.

Recoil spring rod does show wear though.
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Little over 2yrs and not one problem have put a little over 600rds thru mine. Sorry to hear about your exchange with SA, there shipping dept sent 40cal mag instead of 45 18mos ago called them and was ask if had a 40 said yes they said keep mags and will send new ones and they put in 2 extras for free.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    Little over 2yrs and not one problem have put a little over 600rds thru mine. Sorry to hear about your exchange with SA, there shipping dept sent 40cal mag instead of 45 18mos ago called them and was ask if had a 40 said yes they said keep mags and will send new ones and they put in 2 extras for free.
    Good to hear your's has experienced no problems..I guess others not so lucky...great news on the freebies........
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Quite often, the problem does not lie with the tech, but with the design engineers. I used to work for a company where the techs were given instructions from the engineering department on how to respond to complaints and they were not allowed to deviate. A friend of mine ran the tech dept and he told me we had a problem one time that the engineers would not admit to, 1 year later the product was recalled.

I'm just saying, don't automatically blame the techs. What they are allowed to say reflects directly on the company, so they have to be very PC about how they respond.

The person to transmit your issues to, is the VP, or Director of Sales. Get around the the Marketing Department or Customer Disservice Dept, they all think their product is the greatest.

You can probably tell I spent 30 years on the Product Service side of business.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Quite often, the problem does not lie with the tech, but with the design engineers. I used to work for a company where the techs were given instructions from the engineering department on how to respond to complaints and they were not allowed to deviate. A friend of mine ran the tech dept and he told me we had a problem one time that the engineers would not admit to, 1 year later the product was recalled.

I'm just saying, don't automatically blame the techs. What they are allowed to say reflects directly on the company, so they have to be very PC about how they respond.

The person to transmit your issues to, is the VP, or Director of Sales. Get around the the Marketing Department or Customer Disservice Dept, they all think their product is the greatest.

You can probably tell I spent 30 years on the Product Service side of business.
    Could not agree more.....My response to Shannon ....

I appreciate the fact that you took the time to respond to my serious questions about the XDs .45.

I just had hoped I would get a serious response from Springfield.

If you watch the video's I included, these problems have absolutely nothing to do with how you hold the weapon. A mag that does not seat correctly and a mag release switch that will not operate due to incorrect seating of a mag while sitting at a table and not firing the weapon is not a "Limp Wristing" problem as you indicated.

Also, the fact that the recoil spring is being chewed up while firing also is not limp wristing.

I realize that someone else gave you this response to give me so I don't blame you at all.
    I really had hoped for an honest response about the mag seating problems shown in the video.

It is obvious I am not going to get an honest answer and that will indeed be factored into my decision to purchase and support Springfield on this new weapon platform.

All you had to do was be honest, and you would have had a Springfield customer for life, but with this response and other peoples responses from Springfield customer service, I will probably stay in the Glock family for my .45 caliber needs.

Thanks again for your time.

Glock won me over when they introduced the Gen4 models with recoil spring problems in a few models. They owned up and admitted and corrected the problem..I think Springfield either had a problem in the beginning or still has an occasional manufacturing problem and they just aren't going to admit it.

So I can't really justify purchasing a new model that may or may not have issues....If it does have issues my understanding is that Springfield is long on accepting the problem and longer on any correction.

Just my humble opinion.

Hmm... maybe I should send some pictures of "kaboomed" Glocks to their customer service and ask if "the problem has been corrected"...
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Hmm... maybe I should send some pictures of "kaboomed" Glocks to their customer service and ask if "the problem has been corrected"...
    Yes indeed you should....I sure would......

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Yes indeed you should....I sure would......
    I would if I had any myself. Just saying you can find evidence on the internet to make any gun look like a pile, if you're inclined to try. I don't see any evidence that Springfield CS is either stupid OR hiding something. Maybe they just didn't watch the videos.

The magazine issue may well be real, but is it common, or only when seen through the 100x lens of internet complaining? And the guide rod thing is a non-issue. Some visible wear is a predictable result of breaking in, as the rep told him. His actual problem of the slide not going into battery may well have been poor lubrication.

And I don't think I'd go so far as to say Glock "owned up and admitted" anything:

"GLOCK Inc. announces that it is voluntarily exchanging the recoil spring assembly (RSA) on its new Gen4 pistols shipped since August, 2009, to ensure each pistol’s performance meets the company’s demanding standards. With several variations of the RSA in the market today, GLOCK’s goal with this voluntary exchange is to standardize the RSA to gain the best possible performance in each pistol.

GLOCK’s product development team has modified various elements of the RSA. The new RSA compensates for all design modifications made to the Gen4 and allows the pistols to function up to GLOCK’s rigid quality standards and reliability goals."

Not to rag on Glock, which no doubt makes fine weapons, but I think you're giving them too much credit.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    I would if I had any myself. Just saying you can find evidence on the internet to make any gun look like a pile, if you're inclined to try. I don't see any evidence that Springfield CS is either stupid OR hiding something. Maybe they just didn't watch the videos.

The magazine issue may well be real, but is it common, or only when seen through the 100x lens of internet complaining? And the guide rod thing is a non-issue. Some visible wear is a predictable result of breaking in, as the rep told him. His actual problem of the slide not going into battery may well have been poor lubrication.

And I don't think I'd go so far as to say Glock "owned up and admitted" anything:

"GLOCK Inc. announces that it is voluntarily exchanging the recoil spring assembly (RSA) on its new Gen4 pistols shipped since August, 2009, to ensure each pistol’s performance meets the company’s demanding standards. With several variations of the RSA in the market today, GLOCK’s goal with this voluntary exchange is to standardize the RSA to gain the best possible performance in each pistol.

GLOCK’s product development team has modified various elements of the RSA. The new RSA compensates for all design modifications made to the Gen4 and allows the pistols to function up to GLOCK’s rigid quality standards and reliability goals."

Not to rag on Glock, which no doubt makes fine weapons, but I think you're giving them too much credit.
    Thanks for the comment...I accept it in the manner given..your honest opinion...with one exception...The recoil guide rod....here is mine from a Glock-26 with well over 1,500 rounds at the range..this is what I call visible wear...not the guide rod in the XDs video..that was failure.....

1recoil.jpg

I have two of the XDS, one blue and one Bi-tone. ( Yes I know it was a shameful expense to get two) I have had no problems with either of them. Both have over 500 round through them
    and no problems or undue wear. But I have not called or talked to anyone at Springfield CS.

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Thanks for the comment...I accept it in the manner given..your honest opinion...with one exception...The recoil guide rod....here is mine from a Glock-26 with well over 1,500 rounds at the range..this is what I call visible wear...not the guide rod in the XDs video..that was failure.....

1recoil.jpg
    Maybe... To me they look about the same, and if I had to guess I'd figure they both looked like that from about 200 rounds upwards. But, it wasn't a great video, maybe I missed something.

A lot of the "gun malfunctions" that I have seen on YouTube appear to be "human malfunctions". I saw one "YouTube expert" claim that the gun he had didn't shoot straight even when he aimed dead center the gun was consistently shooting low left. Pretty sure the "expert" was really just a guy with a camera who wasn't very well trained.

My XDS has been flawless and I have over 2000 rounds through it. I trust it so much that I carry quite often.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    I'm curious as to how you've had a gun for over 2 years that hasn't even been on the market for that length of time...
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links