Great Advocate of CCW - background checks daily ?

This is a discussion on Great Advocate of CCW - background checks daily ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was in Canada last week and heard a great interview with a guy who spoke so well of all the reasons to allow people ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HotGuns

Thread: Great Advocate of CCW - background checks daily ?

Great Advocate of CCW - background checks daily ?

I was in Canada last week and heard a great interview with a guy who spoke so well of all the reasons to allow people to carry - given proper checks. Among many reasons, the one that struck me the most was when he said to the interviewer (who was totally against CCW), "When was the last time you had a security check on your background ?", "You could have been arrested last week, last month or last year - I had a background check on me yesterday, and the day before that and the day before that !"

He said they run checks on all permit holders and if they are arrested, the system picks them up and their license is revoked. It really turned the interviewer into a believer that CCW holders are in large part more upstanding citizens than the general public !

Is this the same process in the US ? Or is it that if you are arrested, your CCW is automatically revoked ? Pending the outcome of the charge ?

2. Remove Ads

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I wonder if they do the same background cks on someone,if a person misplaces their CCP,and has to get a replacement?
    Back in Feb.,i lost mine bike riding..I got my replacement in just over a couple of weeks.I couldn't get it renewed,because SLED,told me,you could only renew 90 days before expiration date,and mine doesn't expire until this Nov.
    Im just curious to see,if,the one i get renewed,comes back as soon as my replacement did.
    I renewed it, for the first time, back in 09,but,i can't remember,how long it took.

TRX
    I don't know of any state that does that sort of thing, but it would be up to each individual state, or in some cases, the counties within some states. There's no Federal Concealed Carry law or license.

In Arkansas, you just notify the State Police of a lost license and pay a replacement license fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Yjt0189 View Post
    I was in Canada last week and heard ... "I had a background check on me yesterday, and the day before that and the day before that !"

Is this the same process in the US ? Or is it that if you are arrested, your CCW is automatically revoked ?
    I am sure it would be child's play for the state or counties to be running such frequent scans against the group of CHL holders, that is if the arrest/charges records are so easily accessed in such automated fashion across all states by any one state or county. But I'd bet that's the catch: that individual states' CHL records aren't so easily accessible to every other state or county elsewhere.

Uncertain whether this is done at all, anywhere, in the USA. Am presuming not, given the basic presumption of innocence unless and until a person pops up on the radar of law enforcement due to some reason (a charge of a crime, an arrest, or whatever). But I don't know for certain.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    I was in Canada last week and heard a great interview with a guy who spoke so well of all the reasons to allow people to carry - given proper checks. Among many reasons, the one that struck me the most was when he said to the interviewer (who was totally against CCW), "When was the last time you had a security check on your background ?", "You could have been arrested last week, last month or last year - I had a background check on me yesterday, and the day before that and the day before that !"
    Wrong. You are checked at the time of application then and only then. Sounds good but it just aint so. No agency has the time or the inclination to keep continually checking on people. Its a waste of time.

He said they run checks on all permit holders and if they are arrested, the system picks them up and their license is revoked. It really turned the interviewer into a believer that CCW holders are in large part more upstanding citizens than the general public !

Sounds to me that he is going to believe whatever he wants to believe.

Is this the same process in the US ? Or is it that if you are arrested, your CCW is automatically revoked ? Pending the outcome of the charge ?
    In most cases, not all.

If you are arrested for a parking ticket, probably not.
    If you are arrested for any violent crime, probably so.
    A lot of that depends on where you are at.
    QKShooter likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links