A true story of a self defense

This is a discussion on A true story of a self defense within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Matt, who writes for my blog, was involved in a self defense shooting a few years ago. The anniversary of the event is approaching and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: A true story of a self defense

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar

Matt, who writes for my blog, was involved in a self defense shooting a few years ago. The anniversary of the event is approaching and he wanted to share his experience with us. I'm glad he did. I think there are some lessons in his story for many of us, even though Matt is a Sheriff and this took place while he was working.

My Life Changer | The Bang Switch

I know sharing such stories can be hard at times for some folks, so I appreciate that Matt was willing to share his story.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Read it. Several good points. One that stands out to me is the drawing of that mental line in the sand. It says "I am in control of this situation. I will allow it to go this far and no further."
    blitzburgh and USM1976 like this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Senior Moderator
    Nice read, I found it USEFUL that he set a mental line on how close he would let an armed man approach.
    southernwi likes this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Great read!

Good read. Thanks for posting.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Very good read and a lot to think about.

Hopefully my years of video gaming will pay off if I'm every in a shootout (hope that never happens!)
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Thanks for posting that, very enlightening.

Interesting point about video games too.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Kudos to Matt for sharing his story. He heavily reinforces having the right tool for the job, and practice! practice! practice! you will never be 100% ready if/when your time comes to be involved in a life or death situation defense related or otherwise...but 50% ready is much better than 0% ready!

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Incredible story. Thank you to those LEOs out there that despite the possibility of being put in situations such as this or even worse, charge themselves with protecting and serving the public.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Wow, a truly harrowing story of suicide by cop. It all could have gone down differently if Matt had shown up minutes later when the whacko had setup his ambush.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Well written and well done, thanks for sharing.

Senior Moderator
    Another reason why I advocate using 10.5"' or 11.5" SBR's for patrol. There are just too many advantages to it and the normal ranges encountered, they do just fine.
    DefConGun likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    It is a good read and very well done. Thank you for sharing this real-life encounter.

You never know what is going to face you each day when you get out of bed. Each day is a gift.

He's also not the only one that advocates video game playing as a way to sharpen mental skills. There's another post or two on this forum that talks about as much. I've been saying for some time now the greatest weapon is the mind. Video games can present scenarios and cognitive exercises that you wouldn't normally get with other kinds of training. That's not to say we can neglect the physical training but never take the mental for granted.

I hope others can benefit (as I'm sure they already have) from his encounter.

Very good story to share. A tragic story, but the officers did what they had to do.

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    Thanks for posting that, very enlightening.

Interesting point about video games too.
    I've wondered myself about the effect games may have. As the author says, obviously they don't train physical skills, but mental preparedness? Maybe. I was once involved in a "road rage" incident where some guy got angry at me, passed me and tried to get in front of my car to block me in, apparently. Without thinking I swerved around him through the narrow space left behind him and sped away. My brother was with me at the time, and later remarked that he was impressed with my driving. Was it my Grand Theft Auto instinct kicking in, seeing the escape route and going for it? I tend to believe it was.
    GeorgiaDawg likes this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

Intense and educational. Thanks for posting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links