MA Non resident permit ???

This is a discussion on MA Non resident permit ??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It looks like I will be taking a job based in the Boston area. I will be working from home (I.e., remaining a Florida resident), ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MA Non resident permit ???

It looks like I will be taking a job based in the Boston area. I will be working from home (I.e., remaining a Florida resident), but will have to be in Boston fairly often. I am a Florida CWP holder and I know MA does not honor other states permits. I tried reading handgun laws.com but I am still unclear on obtaining a non resident permit and if that permit actually allows CC.
    Does anyone have any knowledge of non resident permits in MA? I will keep looking, but I know there is a weath of information here so any help is appreciated.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

Try USACARRY.COM, you have a valid reason, we travel to Ma all the time, next year I will apply there.
    I think non-resident permits have to be renewed every year gets a bit expensive.

Good Luck

I'm in CT and I don't find it to be worth it to get a MA permit. For non-residents you have to go to the State Police to be interviewed every year before they will grant a permit. The permit is then only good for 1 year and it's $150.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    I'm in CT and I don't find it to be worth it to get a MA permit. For non-residents you have to go to the State Police to be interviewed every year before they will grant a permit. The permit is then only good for 1 year and it's $150.
    WOW!! It's much worse than I thought!!

I am halfway through, you have to take a safety class that is approved by MA, then pay the$100, and have a live interview. You also have to justify why you need a CCL. They also have a large magazine restriction,10 rounds.

Here's a link to the official gov site on the laws:
    https://malegislature.gov/Laws/Gener...40/Section131g https://malegislature.gov/Laws/Gener...40/Section131g

And what you need to do here:
    http://goal.org/masslawpages/nonresapply.html

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

I will gladly pay $150 a year to be able to carry. I would prefer they honored my FL permit, but if it takes a hundred fifty bucks and an interview I will do it rather than be there unarmed. I will be spending days or weeks at a time there and not only feel the need to carry, but I also want to be armed in my hotel or apartment. It sucks but you gotta do what you gotta do. I go there now several times a year but I don't know my way around well enough to no where is safe and where is not.

Quote Originally Posted by shiney1966 View Post
    I am halfway through, you have to take a safety class that is approved by MA, then pay the$100, and have a live interview. You also have to justify why you need a CCL. They also have a large magazine restriction,10 rounds.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/Gener...40/Section131g https://malegislature.gov/Laws/Gener...40/Section131g

How To Apply For A Non Resident MA Firearms License

Thanks. Do you know off hand if they accept any course outside of MA? I will do what I have to, but if I can take a course at home that will be accepted it would be easier. That might be in the info you posted, I have not yet read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Badbullgator View Post
    I will gladly pay $150 a year to be able to carry. I would prefer they honored my FL permit, but if it takes a hundred fifty bucks and an interview I will do it rather than be there unarmed. I will be spending days or weeks at a time there and not only feel the need to carry, but I also want to be armed in my hotel or apartment. It sucks but you gotta do what you gotta do. I go there now several times a year but I don't know my way around well enough to no where is safe and where is not.
    - Best of luck with the process. It sounds like you're there for an extended time, so it's probably worth it for you. I'm in MA a few times a year and it's just not worth the hassle for me.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

- Best of luck with the process. It sounds like you're there for an extended time, so it's probably worth it for you. I'm in MA a few times a year and it's just not worth the hassle for me.
    Yes. Right now I am there and a few other places that I can't carry (Chicago, NY, CA) only for a day or two at a time. I still feel naked, but I can make a few days at a time. This is going o be much more often.
    Isn't sad that the places in go that I feel I most need to carry in are no goes? Chicago is a crap hole (I actually like the city but it is dangerous even in the "nice"sections). NYC and NJ, hell I would rather be unarmed in Afghanistan.

Pro
    The MA non-res requires an interview in Chelsea, MA with the Firearms Record Bureau (might be operating under a different name these days). As was stated it is only valid 1 year.

Your biggest issue will be getting an "unrestricted" LTC which is what you need for concealed carry. Lately, word is they've been issuing mostly "target & hunting" or "sporting" restrictions. These restrictions don't allow for concealed carry. If you can show "need", ie carrying large cash deposits, etc you should be able to get the LTC-A No Restrictions. If not, you may end up with a carry permit that allows possession in MA, but not concealed carry. The unrestricted permits are far easier to get as a resident IF you live in the right city/town, and those are valid for 6 years. I've never had a permit with restrictions in 18+ years. That said, I've been careful of which towns I've moved into. The local Chief of Police determines what restrictions, if any are put on your LTC.
    Minimum government, maximum freedom.

NRA - Member
    GOAL - Member
    Comm2A Supporter

Kinda funny how the Puritans founded the Plymouth Colony but didn't want any 'outsiders' (besides other Puritans) joining them. 400 years later, it seems the same is true with regard to CCWs.

[One of my great-greats showed up in Plymouth shortly after the colony was settled, but as he was a Quaker he was viewed as a troublemaker and was invited to leave!]
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Pro View Post
    The MA non-res requires an interview in Chelsea, MA with the Firearms Record Bureau (might be operating under a different name these days). As was stated it is only valid 1 year.

Your biggest issue will be getting an "unrestricted" LTC which is what you need for concealed carry. Lately, word is they've been issuing mostly "target & hunting" or "sporting" restrictions. These restrictions don't allow for concealed carry. If you can show "need", ie carrying large cash deposits, etc you should be able to get the LTC-A No Restrictions. If not, you may end up with a carry permit that allows possession in MA, but not concealed carry. The unrestricted permits are far easier to get as a resident IF you live in the right city/town, and those are valid for 6 years. I've never had a permit with restrictions in 18+ years. That said, I've been careful of which towns I've moved into. The local Chief of Police determines what restrictions, if any are put on your LTC.
    I believe I would qualify for unrestricted as I carry, or am perceived to carry drugs (legally) and therefore a target for robbery. I say perceived because what I carry would be of no value in getting high, however, I know people that do what I do that have been robbed because people think they carry narcotics.

Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by shiney1966 View Post

http://goal.org/masslawpages/nonresapply.html

You can carry Pre-ban large cap mags if you have an LTC-A with No Restrictions. Pre-ban is pre Sept. 1994. I forget the exact date.

NRA - Member
    GOAL - Member
    Comm2A Supporter

Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Badbullgator View Post
    I believe I would qualify for unrestricted as I carry, or am perceived to carry drugs (legally) and therefore a target for robbery. I say perceived because what I carry would be of no value in getting high, however, I know people that do what I do that have been robbed because people think they carry narcotics.
    Might work, worth a shot.

NRA - Member
    GOAL - Member
    Comm2A Supporter

If you have to go to work in MA anyway, it can't hurt to apply. No worse off than not applying. Be aware that it's been taking residents up to 6 months to get a permit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links