Nonresident CCL in Oregon

This is a discussion on Nonresident CCL in Oregon within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a Washington resident and the way I understand it, I'm able to get a Oregon non-resident CCL (since there is no reciprocity). As a ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stoveman

Thread: Nonresident CCL in Oregon

Nonresident CCL in Oregon

I'm a Washington resident and the way I understand it, I'm able to get a Oregon non-resident CCL (since there is no reciprocity). As a non-resident however, I have to show a "legitimate reason."

My primary reason is that I camp down there a lot and would like to be able to carry for self-defense in the parks. Does anyone have any experience if this is a sufficient reason to satisfy the requirement?

Also, any recommended Counties that are more friendly to non-resident permits? I've heard Grant county is one of the best, but that Linn is good as well. Linn would be much easier to access.

2. Remove Ads

I called a whole bunch of counties and they all told me NO. I work in Oregon a lot driving all over the state at all hours of the day and night, in and out of convenience and retail stores. Told Grant county sheriff's office this, set an appointment and showed up. Had it in my mailbox 15 days later. I would just go down to John Day/Canyon City and do it. Good luck!

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My son and I got ours in Sherman County. 11 days after we applied it was in my mail box! They are great 2A people and will accept your reason as you stated in your post. Julie helped me word mine and told me "if you can pass the background check you will get your permit". We had applied in Morrow county after a phone call that said " no problem, come on down". 30 days later a got a call from the sheriff saying " he had problems with it and needed to check it out". After another 30 days he said he couldn't do it and I told him I should get my money back due to the first phone conversation with his staff. Two weeks later I got a check from the "sheriff's account. Skip all the drama and call Sherman county and set up a time. We had a great time there visiting with Julie and looking around the old courthouse

VIP Member
    Good for you guys!

It frosts my a$$ that anyone should have to go "Sheriff Shopping" to exercise their 2A rights.
    Aceoky likes this.

Yeah, me too! But that's what happens when a couple of metro areas control the state, a fact we are well aware of in eastern WA. Sometimes you have to just play their games, but it frosts me when they keep moving the goalpost!

Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    It frosts my a$$ that anyone should have to go "Sheriff Shopping" to exercise their 2A rights.
    Yes, it does. Same with me.

But the courts have allowed this morass, and we've allowed them to get away with it. We have much to clean up before it's a pristine 2A landscape. 1A, 4A, 5A and all the rest, as well, for that matter. What a world.

Sherman County, eh? I'll have to make a note of that. Of course, it can change with the next sheriff. Ya never know, despite being "shall" issue.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Is there any hope of Oregon changing their rules in the near future? I'm an Oregonian but live in Texas (and will be here for the next several years). I have a Texas CHL and hate not being able to carry when I go back (I spend a couple weeks a year there). I'm not a fan of open carry. Part of our trips go to Tigard where there is no open carry and another part is in a small town where my brother is the head HS baseball coach and teacher. I don't want him to have to answer questions or deal with potential fall out being seen with me carrying.

look into MK Tactical the class they offer does the leg work for you. you get the mandatory training class, fingerprints, all paperwork filled out and sent to one of the most lenient counties in oregon and they offer the course in vancouver about 6-8 times a year. a friend did it and had his Oregon permit back in about 4 weeks and just sent off his arizona app recently. with WA, OR and AZ permit you're covered in all western half states except CA and CO. This is the easiest way I have heard to get the non-res permit for OR!

Quote Originally Posted by columbiapilot View Post
    Is there any hope of Oregon changing their rules in the near future? I'm not a fan of open carry. Part of our trips go to Tigard where there is no open carry ...
    Possibly, but there is a heavy, active and extremely virulent anti-gunner contingent in the Oregon legislature right now. While many of the most-lunatic of the proposed bills and anti-liberty elements slipped into other bills get slammed and voted down every time they get proposed, there's a never-ending tide of such crap attempted by these folks (from Ginny Burdick on down). While an extremely conservative state, by and large, the population centers are extremely liberal on some things, including the barest tolerance of the 2A and carrying arms.

As it stands, one needs a CHL in order to lawfully carry openly in certain municipalities, despite the state preemption, since that preemption specifically allows certain municipalities to have their anti-liberty, anti-2A infringements. Makes it tough for those that don't want to acquire or don't have a CHL.

For an idea of some of the worst of the anti-gunner efforts in Oregon, check this web site: Oregon Firearms Federation. There, on the <Alerts> page and elsewhere, you can wade through many of the bills and recent history of legislature actions related to 2A.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    Good for you guys!

To be fair, that's just for nonresident permits (which only people in 'bordering states' are eligible for in the first place), Oregon is 'shall issue' for residents and 'may issue' for nonresidents. It sucks, but it's better than purely 'may issue' states. I just wish they would pass recognition. And I wish our (WA) recognition was better. And I wish for my lotto numbers to come up.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxon View Post
    I'm a Washington resident and the way I understand it, I'm able to get a Oregon non-resident CCL (since there is no reciprocity). As a non-resident however, I have to show a "legitimate reason."

My primary reason is that I camp down there a lot and would like to be able to carry for self-defense in the parks. Does anyone have any experience if this is a sufficient reason to satisfy the requirement?

Also, any recommended Counties that are more friendly to non-resident permits? I've heard Grant county is one of the best, but that Linn is good as well. Linn would be much easier to access.
    I got mine in Grant County. It was a fantastic and easy experience, other than my fingerprints don't take on an ink card, and they don't have a scanner. I had to send in a fingerprint card from a local LEA that had a scanner after the fact. They didn't make me go back for prints though. They had the "reason" line on their app (might be a state requirement?) and they took "Personal Protection".
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Sherman county sheriff is the son of the last sheriff. Great guy and very well liked by the locals( all three of them), I think he will be there a long time, I sure hope so, we need more like him.
    OR-CHL.com for a $10.00 online course and certificate that is approved for Oregon, takes about 30 min.; also was accepted by AZ for my non-res there which took almost 8 weeks.

I got mines in Monmouth Oregon County, I think that is the correct name for it but it was just on the other side of Portland. We go to OR. a lot, my church youth goes down to Oak Park and around down town Portland a lot.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Links