We Are The Pauline Kaels of Carry

This is a discussion on We Are The Pauline Kaels of Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Pauline Kael's misquote regarding Nixon's 1972 victory* is often invoked to illustrate the "bubble" in which she and her political peers socialized. However, today I ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By PEF
  • 4 Post By Black Knight
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By Pinot
  • 1 Post By Aceoky
  • 2 Post By themonk41
  • 1 Post By Aceoky

Thread: We Are The Pauline Kaels of Carry

VIP Member

Pauline Kael's misquote regarding Nixon's 1972 victory* is often invoked to illustrate the "bubble" in which she and her political peers socialized. However, today I realized that we live in a similar bubble in the context of weapons carry. I was discussing the prosecution's use of carrying one in the chamber** and, to my surprise, the issue resonated with many of my non-carrying peers. Many of them could not fathom carrying "one in the chamber." To them it seemed "dangerous." When I mentioned police carry one in the chamber, they stated, "Yes, but you are not a cop that goes out looking for criminals." When I explained that it is very difficult to rack the slide when you are in a fight, or when one arm is incapacitated, they stated that it was very unlikely I would ever need my weapon anyway.

The point of this thread is not to rehash the case in which the prosecution has addressed this issue, but to think about how truly foreign weapons carry is to a very large percentage of the public, and how easily they are swayed by specious arguments, even if they are not anti-2A. Before I carried I never gave carry much thought, but carrying was not an act that would give me pause. Now that I carry I erroneously projected my "pre-carry views" onto the "reasonable person" that is the general public. But given the reaction I witnessed today, and from what I have seen on multiple newscasts, I'm quite sure that the majority are not only completely ignorant about carry practices, but easily persuaded that such practices are a sign of aggression.

An eye-opening experience. I thought there were pro-carry, anti-carry, and "undecided" camps. But I think the "undecided" camp could stand to be partitioned into "undecided" and "not-anti but fearful."

Given that instead of hypotheticals we finally have some real, albeit anecdotal, reactions to the arguments, are you surprised by the traction made?

* The "quote" is "I can’t believe Nixon won. I don’t know anyone who voted for him.” The actual quote, however, is "I live in a rather special world. I only know one person who voted for Nixon. Where they are I don’t know. They’re outside my ken. But sometimes when I’m in a theater I can feel them." See, e.g., The Actual Pauline Kael Quote?Not As Bad, and Worse « Commentary Magazine

** This is NOT that thread, so don't invoke the name or this one will be closed!!!
    Phaedrus and Hopyard like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

^ Good point and perspective, PEF.

It is important to recognize how utterly valuable some expert, strategic testimony can be in order to dispel myth, bias and conjecture for what it is, in any such trial in which the noobs who are selected as our peers to judge are bombarded with claims and statements of the validity of carrying, of carrying chambered, of having a "quick draw" style holster, of having a "military style" weapon or caliber, of needing to have "shot him in the back," blah blah blah. Ayoob has many tales of courtroom appearances in which he was specifically brought in to refute biased misunderstandings over similar simple characteristics of defensive engagements.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Yes this is a good point to remember and may not be top of mind awareness for many of us since we practice "always carry, never tell". We never get that feedback.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I'm not trying to be a smart alleck but people who carry revolvers usually carry one in every chamber. Also "they stated that it was very unlikely I would ever need my weapon anyway", remember unlikely does not mean impossible.

great point! I try not to converse with fools, it is however getting tougher these days!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    You will get the same fear sometimes when carrying a 1911 cocked and locked. Many people not knowing the weapon mistakenly think it looks more dangerous.
    Aceoky likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    I'm not trying to be a smart alleck but people who carry revolvers usually carry one in every chamber. Also "they stated that it was very unlikely I would ever need my weapon anyway", remember unlikely does not mean impossible.
    Just to highlight, a 74 y.o. man was kidnapped from his home here 2 days ago and is lucky he survived. It was unlikely
    that man would be the victim of that crime in this city, unlikely, but obviously not impossible. He just had the bad luck
    of an encounter with the wrong person. The whole story isn't out but there is someone with an almost identical name
    who was convicted of a serious felony in KY about 7 years back. Perhaps he found his way here after. (Just speculating.)

As for 1 in the pipe, I have to admit that after 50 or so years of gun handling and learning safety revolving around
    rifles and shotguns, hunting and range shooting (though I don't hunt), the idea of carrying with one in the pipe was foreign to me and difficult to get used to. I'm not surprised that non-carriers don't comprehend this and see it as dangerous.

It is an issue which the CC community needs to be find a way to educate people about.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

If you thinks it is tough now what will it be like in a few years. The entire public school system is being used to bring up an entire generation that is taught that guns are bad. A kid can be sent home for making a gun sign with their index finger and thumb. Let's not forget the child that was suspended for eating a pop tart into something that looked like a gun.
    Phaedrus likes this.

IF I want to carry a short club that is what I will carry - until then I will carry one in the pipe- regardless
    Phaedrus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    great point! I try not to converse with fools, it is however getting tougher these days!
    Perhaps stop considering those not knowledgable as fools. Instead treat them with civility and offer a position of education on a level they can and are willing to learn on. Fear dissuades almost everyone in society from wanting or trying to gain knowledge from self-proclaimed "pros". Believe it or not, people like to be treated with respect even if there are differing opinions.
    Phaedrus and Tzadik like this.

In the wake of everything that is happening, I wonder if it would be worthwhile to set up your smart phone so that the RECORD function starts on voice command? Just thinking out loud.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Good points. I think it's important to recognize these misconceptions beforehand and if ever involved in a situation possibly bring them up proactively to control the issue - one in the chamber, cocked and locked, multiple guns/knives, shoot to wound, less lethal options, hollowpoints as death rays. Any others?

Well, it seems knowing your state's self defense laws can be attempted to be used against you - however I'd bet not knowing them is much, much more dangerous so.....

YMMV
    ep1953 likes this.

Sponsored Links