Vacation carry

This is a discussion on Vacation carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You're paying big bucks to be in a nice spot. It's likely summer and you're wearing light-weight clothes. If you're a family person, you're with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Vacation carry

VIP Member

Vacation carry

You're paying big bucks to be in a nice spot. It's likely summer and you're wearing light-weight clothes. If you're a family person, you're with your kids/grand-kids and doing spontaneous activities.

I struggle with it. I don't always carry for every event on vacation. This week, we're doing a week at Kiawah Island (SC), and I have a G19 with spare mags secured in a safe in the condo, and an LCP as a light-weight carry option as well.

I carried the G19 IWB during the drive down here (gas stops), but secured it when we arrived. I don't carry at the beach (not saying right or wrong, I just don't), and generally carry the LCP in my front shorts pocket when wondering around shops or walking the dog in the evening.

Last night, we were meeting extended family at 'California Dreaming' for dinner in Charleston, and knowing that there was a bar in the restaurant (presently not legal for carry in SC), I seriously considered not carrying that evening. Instead I opted to pocket-holster the LCP and leave it in a secured/cabled safe in the car while eating. Of course, not all extended family members showed up on time, and I volunteered to keep the kids entertained and walk them through the marina there while we waited. I was able to swing by the car to grab the pocket-holstered LCP without anyone wondering what was going on...

We hadn't walked 15 feet towards the dock leading to the boats when a freak on a bicycle rode into the parking lot, screaming for all he was worth. It was clear that he was out of his mind, and the kids got scared and lined up behind me. He rode straight for us, and appeared to be in some sort of rage. He was young (probably in his twenties), but he looked like just some ragged hippy in a bad mood. I really never planned on drawing on him, but was reassured that I had that option. My plan was to clothes-line the idiot off as he approached us.

He apparently picked up on my intent and slammed on the brakes, but caught traction and high-sided off onto the pavement. It was a lovely self-body-slam into the asphalt. It quickly got creepy again, as he didn't react to the fall, but continued movement, scrambling like a cock-roach towards a van a few spaces away. He climbed in and drove off. The kids were totally freaked out.

My point is, you're never safe. Nice towns, nice vacation spots, the ghouls are everywhere. I'm not saying stuff a Glock in a sandwich bag in your swim shorts, but don't think for a moment that a vacation spot is a time to let your guard down. We're still having a wonderful time here, and I'll sleep well tonight. I'll also have the G19 with three spare mags within arms-reach as well.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    You're paying big bucks to be in a nice spot. It's likely summer and you're wearing light-weight clothes. If you're a family person, you're with your kids/grand-kids and doing spontaneous activities.

I struggle with it. I don't always carry for every event on vacation.

My point is, you're never safe. Nice towns, nice vacation spots, the ghouls are everywhere. I'm not saying stuff a Glock in a sandwich bag in your swim shorts, but don't think for a moment that a vacation spot is a time to let your guard down.

It can be a bit of a struggle to remain armed in all conditions.

Until one realizes what you've pointed out: that felonious ghouls are everywhere; that trouble can happen anytime, anywhere; and that the lives of our family members are worth defending.

Can't very well defend with what we don't have with us (means, capability/skills, determination, luck). Lacking those on the instant of attack is the surest method I know of failing to survive it.
    BenGoodLuck and Warrior1256 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It's good that thats all that happen but it could have been bad, and like you said you just never know. I try to carry as often as I can but I just can carry at work so I just bring my knife. Enjoy your vacation and be safe.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

As ive said before if i cant be armed I dont go. End of story.
    ccw9mm, chief8991 and Caertaker like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Careful vacation planning is needed if you are going to carry. You've got to know the rules for each state and what the rules are at each attraction you plan on visiting. Once you have that information, you can arm up appropriately. Always carry something if you can't carry a firearm.

I'm a big fan of the snub noes, for many reasons, one of which is ease of carry in nearly all conditions.

It's my habit to carry everywhere the law allows. That can be inconvenient and occasionally I don't, but it's my goal.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

VIP Member
    I hear ya. We are all down here in TN and I brought a trio of Glocks and Mrs Stove has her Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post

I struggle with it. I don't always carry for every event on vacation. This week, we're doing a week at Kiawah Island (SC), and I have a G19 with spare mags secured in a safe in the condo, and an LCP as a light-weight carry option as well.

I carried the G19 IWB during the drive down here (gas stops), but secured it when we arrived. I don't carry at the beach (not saying right or wrong, I just don't), and generally carry the LCP in my front shorts pocket when wondering around shops or walking the dog in the evening.

Last night, we were meeting extended family at 'California Dreaming' for dinner in Charleston, and knowing that there was a bar in the restaurant (presently not legal for carry in SC), I seriously considered not carrying that evening. Instead I opted to pocket-holster the LCP and leave it in a secured/cabled safe in the car while eating. Of course, not all extended family members showed up on time, and I volunteered to keep the kids entertained and walk them through the marina there while we waited. I was able to swing by the car to grab the pocket-holstered LCP without anyone wondering what was going on...

We hadn't walked 15 feet towards the dock leading to the boats when a freak on a bicycle rode into the parking lot, screaming for all he was worth. It was clear that he was out of his mind, and the kids got scared and lined up behind me. He rode straight for us, and appeared to be in some sort of rage. He was young (probably in his twenties), but he looked like just some ragged hippy in a bad mood. I really never planned on drawing on him, but was reassured that I had that option. My plan was to clothes-line the idiot off as he approached us.

He apparently picked up on my intent and slammed on the brakes, but caught traction and high-sided off onto the pavement. It was a lovely self-body-slam into the asphalt. It quickly got creepy again, as he didn't react to the fall, but continued movement, scrambling like a cock-roach towards a van a few spaces away. He climbed in and drove off. The kids were totally freaked out.

My point is, you're never safe. Nice towns, nice vacation spots, the ghouls are everywhere. I'm not saying stuff a Glock in a sandwich bag in your swim shorts, but don't think for a moment that a vacation spot is a time to let your guard down. We're still having a wonderful time here, and I'll sleep well tonight. I'll also have the G19 with three spare mags within arms-reach as well.
    First of all, I don't vacation in the summer. I have the mentality that it is better to add a layer than to lose a layer.
    Secondly, I do carry at the beach, but that kinda goes back to ^. If I go to the beach, it's to watch the waves roll in, and visit with loved ones, not swim with the fishes.
    Thirdly, I don't do the bar thing.
    And last, but not least, I don't leave in fear, but, IMO, there is never a time to let your guard down. If I'm ever involved in a situation where I have to act defensively, I won't be expecting it. I will hopefully be mentally and physically prepared as possible, but I won't be expecting it. Spidey sense is one thing, as is common sense, but if I were to be expecting something, I'm getting the heck out of Dodge, not sticking around to see who the better shot is. Everyone here calls that "situational awareness", but I like to call it "common sense". "If it walks like a chicken, clucks like a chicken, and lays eggs, don't expect to see milk come out of it." I say all that to say that if I see something that's giving me pretty good evidence it's a chicken, I'm not going to wait for it to prove it's a cow.

I hope you enjoy your vacation!
    Carry on!
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Something witty

One thing we should never lose sight of, while "vacationing" is this: at "vacationing" spots known for drawing such people, it's common knowledge that during such times people are arriving from elsewhere, are less likely to have local knowledge, are more likely to be carrying cash and other valuables, more likely to be preoccupied with vacationing to the point of lowered SA and precautions, etc.

Think about that, from the viewpoint of a prospective BG who's looking for opportunities. That's a tastier combination that usually exists in such spots. Think Cancun, Cozumel, Martha's Vinyard, the Miami beaches, and a hundred other spots like this.

As for heading to the beach for "vacationing," I'm absolutely going to enjoy the views, but I'm also absolutely going to enjoy the water. But that hardly means that, if I'm there with a dozen kids and others that 100% of us are going to be dropping all sense of security precautions and diving into the water at once makes any sense whatsoever. It just means there's a rotating security detail, continued awareness, heightened considerations for the factors above that affect the perspectives of BGs at such places, etc.

As always, remain aware, remain armed, remain prepared. Same as at any other time, at any other place. The one thing we must do is disabuse ourselves of the concept that vacation = safety/security by some magic operation of the gods. It doesn't.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; July 4th, 2013 at 04:47 PM.
    WHEC724 and squid86 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

We go to Florida several times a year. When we are at places that are as you describe, on the beach, ultra light clothes, I go very light with my firearm. I take three to FL with me. Standard size 9 mm, small J frame, smaller still 32 acp. When we go out, I take what suits my clothes. We went to the beach, I took my 32, kept it between wife and I in the bag on the top. There is always a compromise.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    NAA mini, aint much but a whole better than nothing.

Last year we did a month in Florida. This year it will be more than Two months. I carried Two Snubs every day, all day. I also Bring the Wife's 7 shot loaded with 38+P. Just in case I want extra firepower, I bring my Glock 26 with 10 extra mags. I bring plenty of Ammo for a few Range Visits if I feel the need. I don't swim so I always have the Two Snubs on me. "If" I felt the need to go unarmed "?" I still have a small Knife, and Pepper Spray along with a Flashlight that I carry all day every day.

VIP Member
    What's a vacation? Haven't taken one in 4 years.

Seriously though. I will be going to Indiana in September for oldest sons wedding. He has his IN lifetime permit and he is well aware that I carry everywhere it is legal. MY biggest dilemma is do I carry my CZ RAMI on wedding day or dress up and carry my DW CBOB.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    If I absolutly can't carry I take the collapsible baton and my cheap folder. The baton is small fits in my back pocket. I can put it in my hand,put my thumb in my front pocket and you can't tell I have it in my hand

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links