Georgia Weapons License Under 21 Military Exemption

This is a discussion on Georgia Weapons License Under 21 Military Exemption within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, I'm a 20-year old contracted ROTC cadet. Contracted Army ROTC cadets are considered part of the Army Reserve, and are issued military IDs ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HotGuns

Thread: Georgia Weapons License Under 21 Military Exemption

Georgia Weapons License Under 21 Military Exemption

Hey all,

I'm a 20-year old contracted ROTC cadet. Contracted Army ROTC cadets are considered part of the Army Reserve, and are issued military IDs as a result. My home of record and my college are both in the state of Georgia. The OCGA contains a Georgia Weapons License exemption for military personnel, regardless of whether that individual is performing official duties at the time that he/she is carrying. Military personnel need only carry a military ID in order to concealed carry. However, it's not clear if this exemption overrules age requirements. Here is the relevant section.

Essentially, the GWL requires an individual to be 21 in order to apply, but the military exemption states that military personnel do not need a GWL to carry. Thus, it would seem that the GWL age requirement of 21 would not apply to military personnel. Correct? Obviously the law is pretty unclear, but it would be great to hear the experiences of other Georgia citizens on this. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

From what I can read on Georgia gun laws is that you have to be 21 years old to carry a firearm.

I'm a resident of Georgia and carried for years under the military exemption law, but of course I'm old, fat, and bald. That's a great question that I never had cause to think about. My first guess is that you'd still need to be 21. I believe the law as written exempts you from needing a GWL if you are in the military, but you would still have to meet the legal requirements set forth by the State to have a GWL. I'd ask the good folks at Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news or Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org or even your local probate judge for clarification.
    Retired Combat Infantryman, Ranger, Special Forces, Master Parachutist, Pathfinder

Oderint Dum Metuant

Springfield M1A Scout and M4 (Zombie Apocalypse), Remington 870 (Home Defense), Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC), Sig P238 (BUG)

VIP Member
    You will get many different answers on line. The best answer to your question is to check with issuing authority there.

Just a guess on my part, but I think the military exemption would only apply if you are on extended active duty status. Just like the military commissary and exchanges are available for you to use during your training weekends and 2 week AD, not at other times.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I) § 35-8-8. Qualification for Peace Officers
    Any person employed or certified as a Peace Officer shall:
    Be at least 18 years of age;

Assuming that it doesn't take 3 years to become POST certified, then there could be some sub-21 officers running around out there. I would hazard a guess that they aren't running around with empty holsters.

II) § 16-11-130. Exemptions from Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2
    (a) Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2 shall not apply to or affect any of the following persons if such persons are employed in the offices listed below or when authorized by federal or state law, regulations, or order:
    . . .
    (3) Persons in the military service of the state or of the United States;

III) § 16-11-132
    Possession of handgun by person under the age of 18 years
    . . .
    (b) Notwithstanding any other provisions of this part and except as otherwise provided in this Code section, it shall be unlawful for any person under the age of 18 years to possess or have under such person's control a handgun.

In short ... So long as the individual is exempted by 16-11-130 and meets the requirement set by 16-11-132 he may legally carry a pistol under 21.

Just be careful that you are Actually in the military service not just considered as though you were. My personal guess is that since you have an official ID Card then you are officially in the service. If an officer thinks that you are not, then your best recourse is to call John R. Monroe a noted attorney in matters such as this.

Senior Moderator
    A standard often used to settle such matters...

Do you get paid? Do you receive a wage or any compensation? Is Insurance paid on your behalf?

If the answer is no, then chances are you wont make the cut until you are 21.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll ask the county sheriff and the probate judge.

Contracted ROTC cadets are kind of in a grey-area legally. The contract that I signed states "As a condition for membership in the Army ROTC program, I agree to enlist in the Reserve Component of the United States Army (with an assignment to the USAR Control Group (ROTC)) for a period prescribed by the Secretary of the Army." I also had to swear an oath of enlistment. So, according to the contract, contracted ROTC cadets are enlisted in the Army Reserve (although we have no rank). We are paid during the school year and are eligible for insurance when conducting official training activities.

Unfortunately, Georgia law is pretty unclear on whether Reserve soldiers are considered part of the 16-11-130 exemption. All it says is "Persons in the military service of the state or of the United States." One would assume that Reserve soldiers are considered to be in the military service of the United States, but I could see it going either way. There is no qualification stating that you must be performing official duties. In fact, they used to have that but dropped it.

GH
    It appears that GA is including the Reserve Components in their exemption - "Persons in the military service of the state or of the United States." Military service of the state would mean the National Guard until the unit is Federalized during time of war. By extension if Guardsmen are exempt because of state duty, others in a Reserve Component because of Federal duty should be, too.

This would take some further research to be completely sure & legal.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    I) § 35-8-8. Qualification for Peace Officers
    Any person employed or certified as a Peace Officer shall:
    Be at least 18 years of age;

Assuming that it doesn't take 3 years to become POST certified, then there could be some sub-21 officers running around out there. I would hazard a guess that they aren't running around with empty holsters.

II) § 16-11-130. Exemptions from Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2
    (a) Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2 shall not apply to or affect any of the following persons if such persons are employed in the offices listed below or when authorized by federal or state law, regulations, or order:
    . . .

III) § 16-11-132
    Possession of handgun by person under the age of 18 years
    . . .
    (b) Notwithstanding any other provisions of this part and except as otherwise provided in this Code section, it shall be unlawful for any person under the age of 18 years to possess or have under such person's control a handgun.

In short ... So long as the individual is exempted by 16-11-130 and meets the requirement set by 16-11-132 he may legally carry a pistol under 21.

Just be careful that you are Actually in the military service not just considered as though you were. My personal guess is that since you have an official ID Card then you are officially in the service. If an officer thinks that you are not, then your best recourse is to call John R. Monroe a noted attorney in matters such as this.
    The problem with your examples is that (1) OP is not a peace officer and (2) possession is not the same thing as carrying.

You must be at least 21 years old to carry in GA. You can carry if you are at least 18 AND a peace officer. You can carry without a WCL if you are in the military. But there is nowhere in GA law that states an age exemption for military.

Considering that they made a specific exemption for peace officers, an age exemption for military would also have been given. It has not.

Sorry bud.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Looking back, here's a couple things that I've noticed. I may have been incorrect in my assertions but I'm not a lawyer, regardless. Here's what I found:

§ 16-11-130. Exemptions from Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2

(d) A prosecution based upon a violation of Code Section 16-11-126 or 16-11-127 need not negative any exemptions.
    So that code section states that if you are in the military, the following code sections do not apply to you:

§ 16-11-126. Having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons; license requirement; exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, and other locations and conditions; penalties for violations

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.

(c) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded.

(d) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun who is eligible for a weapons carry license may transport a handgun or long gun in any private passenger motor vehicle; provided, however, that private property owners or persons in legal control of property through a lease, rental agreement, licensing agreement, contract, or any other agreement to control access to such property shall have the right to forbid possession of a weapon or long gun on their property, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-135.

(e) Any person licensed to carry a handgun or weapon in any other state whose laws recognize and give effect to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a weapon in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such licensee shall carry the weapon in compliance with the laws of this state.

(f) Any person with a valid hunting or fishing license on his or her person, or any person not required by law to have a hunting or fishing license, who is engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the person has the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted may have or carry on his or her person a handgun or long gun without a valid weapons carry license while hunting, fishing, or engaging in sport shooting.

(g) Notwithstanding Code Sections 12-3-10, 27-3-1.1, 27-3-6, and 16-12-122 through 16-12-127, any person with a valid weapons carry license may carry a weapon in all parks, historic sites, or recreational areas, as such term is defined in Code Section 12-3-10, including all publicly owned buildings located in such parks, historic sites, and recreational areas, in wildlife management areas, and on public transportation; provided, however, that a person shall not carry a handgun into a place where it is prohibited by federal law.

(h) (1) No person shall carry a weapon without a valid weapons carry license unless he or she meets one of the exceptions to having such license as provided in subsections (a) through (g) of this Code section.
    And it seems that it would even apply to this code section, exempting military then from the off-limits locations.
    § 16-11-127. Carrying weapons in unauthorized locations; penalty

(a) As used in this Code section, the term:

(1) "Bar" means an establishment that is devoted to the serving of alcoholic beverages for consumption by guests on the premises and in which the serving of food is only incidental to the consumption of those beverages, including, but not limited to, taverns, nightclubs, cocktail lounges, and cabarets.

(2) "Courthouse" means a building occupied by judicial courts and containing rooms in which judicial proceedings are held.

(3) "Government building" means:

(A) The building in which a government entity is housed;

(B) The building where a government entity meets in its official capacity; provided, however, that if such building is not a publicly owned building, such building shall be considered a government building for the purposes of this Code section only during the time such government entity is meeting at such building; or

(C) The portion of any building that is not a publicly owned building that is occupied by a government entity.

(4) "Government entity" means an office, agency, authority, department, commission, board, body, division, instrumentality, or institution of the state or any county, municipal corporation, consolidated government, or local board of education within this state.

(5) "Parking facility" means real property owned or leased by a government entity, courthouse, jail, prison, place of worship, or bar that has been designated by such government entity, courthouse, jail, prison, place of worship, or bar for the parking of motor vehicles at a government building or at such courthouse, jail, prison, place of worship, or bar.

(b) A person shall be guilty of carrying a weapon or long gun in an unauthorized location and punished as for a misdemeanor when he or she carries a weapon or long gun while:

(1) In a government building;

(2) In a courthouse;

(3) In a jail or prison;

(4) In a place of worship;

(5) In a state mental health facility as defined in Code Section 37-1-1 which admits individuals on an involuntary basis for treatment of mental illness, developmental disability, or addictive disease; provided, however, that carrying a weapon or long gun in such location in a manner in compliance with paragraph (3) of subsection (d) of this Code section shall not constitute a violation of this subsection;

(6) In a bar, unless the owner of the bar permits the carrying of weapons or long guns by license holders;

(7) On the premises of a nuclear power facility, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-127.2, and the punishment provisions of Code Section 16-11-127.2 shall supersede the punishment provisions of this Code section; or

(8) Within 150 feet of any polling place, except as provided in subsection (i) of Code Section 21-2-413.

(c) Except as provided in Code Section 16-11-127.1, a license holder or person recognized under subsection (e) of Code Section 16-11-126 shall be authorized to carry a weapon as provided in Code Section 16-11-135 and in every location in this state not listed in subsection (b) of this Code section; provided, however, that private property owners or persons in legal control of property through a lease, rental agreement, licensing agreement, contract, or any other agreement to control access to such property shall have the right to forbid possession of a weapon or long gun on their property, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-135. A violation of subsection (b) of this Code section shall not create or give rise to a civil action for damages.

(d) Subsection (b) of this Code section shall not apply:

(1) To the use of weapons or long guns as exhibits in a legal proceeding, provided such weapons or long guns are secured and handled as directed by the personnel providing courtroom security or the judge hearing the case;

(2) To a license holder who approaches security or management personnel upon arrival at a location described in subsection (b) of this Code section and notifies such security or management personnel of the presence of the weapon or long gun and explicitly follows the security or management personnel's direction for removing, securing, storing, or temporarily surrendering such weapon or long gun; and

(3) To a weapon or long gun possessed by a license holder which is under the possessor's control in a motor vehicle or is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle and such vehicle is parked in a parking facility.

This next code section lists its own specific exemptions, many of which are repeats of the list from 16-11-130. So it is my opinion, that the exemptions of this code section are more specific than that of 16-11-130.

§ 16-11-127.1. (For effective date, see note.) Carrying weapons within school safety zones, at school functions, or on school property

(a) As used in this Code section, the term:

(1) "School safety zone" means in or on any real property owned by or leased to any public or private elementary school, secondary school, or school board and used for elementary or secondary education and in or on the campus of any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or institution of postsecondary education.

(2) "Weapon" means and includes any pistol, revolver, or any weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind, or any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, any other knife having a blade of two or more inches, straight-edge razor, razor blade, spring stick, knuckles, whether made from metal, thermoplastic, wood, or other similar material, blackjack, any bat, club, or other bludgeon-type weapon, or any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain, or any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart, or any weapon of like kind, and any stun gun or taser as defined in subsection (a) of Code Section 16-11-106. This paragraph excludes any of these instruments used for classroom work authorized by the teacher.

(b) (1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (c) of this Code section, it shall be unlawful for any person to carry to or to possess or have under such person's control while within a school safety zone or at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school any weapon or explosive compound, other than fireworks the possession of which is regulated by Chapter 10 of Title 25.

(2) Any license holder who violates this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. Any person who is not a license holder who violates this subsection shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, be punished by a fine of not more than $10,000.00, by imprisonment for not less than two nor more than ten years, or both.

(3) Any person convicted of a violation of this subsection involving a dangerous weapon or machine gun, as such terms are defined in Code Section 16-11-121, shall be punished by a fine of not more than $10,000.00 or by imprisonment for a period of not less than five nor more than ten years, or both.

(4) (For effective date, see note.) A child who violates this subsection may be subject to the provisions of Code Section 15-11-601.

(c) The provisions of this Code section shall not apply to:

(1) Baseball bats, hockey sticks, or other sports equipment possessed by competitors for legitimate athletic purposes;

(2) Participants in organized sport shooting events or firearm training courses;

(3) Persons participating in military training programs conducted by or on behalf of the armed forces of the United States or the Georgia Department of Defense;

(4) Persons participating in law enforcement training conducted by a police academy certified by the Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Council or by a law enforcement agency of the state or the United States or any political subdivision thereof;

(5) The following persons, when acting in the performance of their official duties or when en route to or from their official duties:

(A) A peace officer as defined by Code Section 35-8-2;

(B) A law enforcement officer of the United States government;

(C) A prosecuting attorney of this state or of the United States;

(D) An employee of the Georgia Department of Corrections or a correctional facility operated by a political subdivision of this state or the United States who is authorized by the head of such correctional agency or facility to carry a firearm;

(E) A person employed as a campus police officer or school security officer who is authorized to carry a weapon in accordance with Chapter 8 of Title 20; and

(F) Medical examiners, coroners, and their investigators who are employed by the state or any political subdivision thereof;

(6) A person who has been authorized in writing by a duly authorized official of the school to have in such person's possession or use as part of any activity being conducted at a school building, school property, or school function a weapon which would otherwise be prohibited by this Code section. Such authorization shall specify the weapon or weapons which have been authorized and the time period during which the authorization is valid;

(7) A person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10, when such person carries or picks up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school or a person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10 when he or she has any weapon legally kept within a vehicle when such vehicle is parked at such school property or is in transit through a designated school zone;

(8) A weapon possessed by a license holder which is under the possessor's control in a motor vehicle or which is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle which is being used by an adult over 21 years of age to bring to or pick up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school, or when such vehicle is used to transport someone to an activity being conducted on school property which has been authorized by a duly authorized official of the school; provided, however, that this exception shall not apply to a student attending such school;

(9) Persons employed in fulfilling defense contracts with the government of the United States or agencies thereof when possession of the weapon is necessary for manufacture, transport, installation, and testing under the requirements of such contract;

(10) Those employees of the State Board of Pardons and Paroles when specifically designated and authorized in writing by the members of the State Board of Pardons and Paroles to carry a weapon;

(11) The Attorney General and those members of his or her staff whom he or she specifically authorizes in writing to carry a weapon;

(12) Probation supervisors employed by and under the authority of the Department of Corrections pursuant to Article 2 of Chapter 8 of Title 42, known as the "State-wide Probation Act," when specifically designated and authorized in writing by the director of the Division of Probation;

(13) Public safety directors of municipal corporations;

(14) State and federal trial and appellate judges;

(15) United States attorneys and assistant United States attorneys;

(16) Clerks of the superior courts;

(17) Teachers and other school personnel who are otherwise authorized to possess or carry weapons, provided that any such weapon is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle; or

(18) Constables of any county of this state.
    (d)(1) This Code section shall not prohibit any person who resides or works in a business or is in the ordinary course transacting lawful business or any person who is a visitor of such resident located within a school safety zone from carrying, possessing, or having under such person's control a weapon within a school safety zone; provided, however, it shall be unlawful for any such person to carry, possess, or have under such person's control while at a school building or school function or on school property, a school bus, or other transportation furnished by the school any weapon or explosive compound, other than fireworks the possession of which is regulated by Chapter 10 of Title 25.

(2) Any person who violates this subsection shall be subject to the penalties specified in subsection (b) of this Code section.

(3) This subsection shall not be construed to waive or alter any legal requirement for possession of weapons or firearms otherwise required by law.

(e) It shall be no defense to a prosecution for a violation of this Code section that:

(1) School was or was not in session at the time of the offense;

(2) The real property was being used for other purposes besides school purposes at the time of the offense; or

(3) The offense took place on a school vehicle.

(f) In a prosecution under this Code section, a map produced or reproduced by any municipal or county agency or department for the purpose of depicting the location and boundaries of the area of the real property of a school board or a private or public elementary or secondary school that is used for school purposes or the area of any campus of any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or institution of postsecondary education, or a true copy of the map, shall, if certified as a true copy by the custodian of the record, be admissible and shall constitute prima-facie evidence of the location and boundaries of the area, if the governing body of the municipality or county has approved the map as an official record of the location and boundaries of the area. A map approved under this Code section may be revised from time to time by the governing body of the municipality or county. The original of every map approved or revised under this subsection or a true copy of such original map shall be filed with the municipality or county and shall be maintained as an official record of the municipality or county. This subsection shall not preclude the prosecution from introducing or relying upon any other evidence or testimony to establish any element of this offense. This subsection shall not preclude the use or admissibility of a map or diagram other than the one which has been approved by the municipality or county.

(g) A county school board may adopt regulations requiring the posting of signs designating the areas of school boards and private or public elementary and secondary schools as "Weapon-free and Violence-free School Safety Zones."
    This last code section is about Nuclear Power Facilities. Probably doesn't apply to you, unless you work at one:

§ 16-11-127.2. Weapons on premises of nuclear power facility

(a) Except as provided in subsection (c) of this Code section, it shall be unlawful for any person to carry, possess, or have under such person's control while on the premises of a nuclear power facility a weapon or long gun. Any person who violates this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

(b) Any person who violates subsection (a) of this Code section with the intent to do bodily harm on the premises of a nuclear power facility shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not more than $10,000.00, by imprisonment for not less than two nor more than 20 years, or both.

(c) This Code section shall not apply to a security officer authorized to carry dangerous weapons pursuant to Code Section 16-11-124 who is acting in connection with his or her official duties on the premises of a federally licensed nuclear power facility; nor shall this Code section apply to persons designated in paragraph (3), (4), (5), or (9) of subsection (c) of Code Section 16-11-127.1.

Now, none of those specifically mention age. However, looking back at the first section, 16-11-126, you see this little bit:
    (a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.
    So, since you are legally allowed to possess a handgun (over 18, clean record), you are allowed to carry on your person a weapon or long gun on your property, in your car, or at your place of business without a license.

In that same section (16-11-126), you also see:

(h) (1) No person shall carry a weapon without a valid weapons carry license unless he or she meets one of the exceptions to having such license as provided in subsections (a) through (g) of this Code section.
    This is the part that military is specifically exempted from (since it wouldn't make sense to say that they are exempt from subsections (a) through (g) that allow carry. So, I would read that as saying that if you are in the military, you can carry a weapon without a valid weapons carry license. Again, I see nothing about age other than you are certainly allowed to carry in your home, car, or work if you can legally possess a handgun.

To clarify, a weapon includes a handgun - as seen here:

§ 16-11-125.1. Definitions

As used in this part, the term:

(1) "Handgun" means a firearm of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which any shot, bullet, or other missile can be discharged by an action of an explosive where the length of the barrel, not including any revolving, detachable, or magazine breech, does not exceed 12 inches; provided, however, that the term "handgun" shall not include a gun which discharges a single shot of .46 centimeters or less in diameter.

(2) "Knife" means a cutting instrument designed for the purpose of offense and defense consisting of a blade that is greater than five inches in length which is fastened to a handle.

(3) "License holder" means a person who holds a valid weapons carry license.

(4) "Long gun" means a firearm with a barrel length of at least 18 inches and overall length of at least 26 inches designed or made and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or made to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed:

(A) Shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger or from which any shot, bullet, or other missile can be discharged; or

(B) Metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifle bore for each single pull of the trigger;

provided, however, that the term "long gun" shall not include a gun which discharges a single shot of .46 centimeters or less in diameter.

(5) "Weapon" means a knife or handgun.

(6) "Weapons carry license" or "license" means a license issued pursuant to Code Section 16-11-129.
    However, keep in mind that Codesection 16-11-127.1 (carrying at schools) lists its own definitions and exemptions:
    § 16-11-127.1. (For effective date, see note.) Carrying weapons within school safety zones, at school functions, or on school property

(a) As used in this Code section, the term:...

...(2) "Weapon" means and includes any pistol, revolver, or any weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind, or any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, any other knife having a blade of two or more inches, straight-edge razor, razor blade, spring stick, knuckles, whether made from metal, thermoplastic, wood, or other similar material, blackjack, any bat, club, or other bludgeon-type weapon, or any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain, or any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart, or any weapon of like kind, and any stun gun or taser as defined in subsection (a) of Code Section 16-11-106. This paragraph excludes any of these instruments used for classroom work authorized by the teacher.
    I'm not a lawyer. Do not take anything I say as fact. Call a lawyer (not police or probate court, who are not experts in the law). But I hope this helps.

So in my opinion, carry in your home, carry in your car, and carry at your work, abiding by any laws that surround those. I wouldn't carry beyond that until you hit 21 and either are DEFINITELY in the service, or have a license.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Links