Esoteric gear placement dilemma

This is a discussion on Esoteric gear placement dilemma within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is an odd question and I just need a little clarity. Here is the setup in question, Primary carried strong-side OWB, Secondary (not really ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fausty
  • 1 Post By matthew03

Thread: Esoteric gear placement dilemma

VIP Member

This is an odd question and I just need a little clarity.

Here is the setup in question, Primary carried strong-side OWB, Secondary (not really a BUG as it is of “fighting” size) carried support side OWB and one spare magazine also OWB. Belt real estate is running low so there is only room for one magazine.

Now here is the two part question. First, should the spare magazine be for the Primary or the Secondary, and why? Remember, both are “fighting” sized guns but they are not the same. Second, should the spare magazine be carried forward of the Secondary or behind, and why?

Honestly, I can, and have, thought of reasons for all of the different configurations. I have been working with the various options and have just been confusing myself. I just can’t seem to see the most efficient combination.

I don’t always carry the Secondary but I do carry it often enough that I train with it regularly. This placement question has been nagging at me for quite a long time.

Can any of you help a fellow out with some clear thinking?
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Carry a spare mag for your primary. That way if you have a mag malfunction you don't need to transition. Why the heck do you carry two full sized guns?
    Dnbailey likes this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Dude you need to live in a better area

IMO, the spare mag should be for the primary, due to the simple low likelihood of even needing the BUG. By definition, I'd say, the primary is your primary tool, the one you're most comfortable and capable with, the BUG less so. And so, keeping the primary running should IMO be the primary goal.

My basic rule of thumb for spare mag carry is: carry the mag on the opposite side the gun is carried. So, if primary's on the strong side, any spare mag(s) would be on the weak-side. Same for the BUG (weak-side gun, strong-side mags).

Similarly, given the primary use of the weak-side gear would be for the mag first, as spare, I'd have the mag forward of the BUG on the belt. Same rationale as with IPSC/IDPA course, in which you pull the first mag in sequence, front to rear.

I'd avoid having a single mag carrier that can split the mags carried (one primary mag, one BUG mag), for all the obvious reasons of risking foul-up and wasted time, though I suppose even that could be done. Primary mag forward of BUG mag, but then it'd be belt carried on the weak-side and in the case the BUG were needed the spare mag could be a booger to get to, comparatively speaking.

* Not an "operator," here. Just someone who's been through a few IPSC style courses and individual training, with both primary and BUG. Seems to work for me, though I'm sure there are other methods and reasons for doing them.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    This is an odd question and I just need a little clarity.

Here is the setup in question, Primary carried strong-side OWB, Secondary (not really a BUG as it is of “fighting” size) carried support side OWB and one spare magazine also OWB. Belt real estate is running low so there is only room for one magazine.

Now here is the two part question. First, should the spare magazine be for the Primary or the Secondary, and why? Remember, both are “fighting” sized guns but they are not the same. Second, should the spare magazine be carried forward of the Secondary or behind, and why?

Honestly, I can, and have, thought of reasons for all of the different configurations. I have been working with the various options and have just been confusing myself. I just can’t seem to see the most efficient combination.

I don’t always carry the Secondary but I do carry it often enough that I train with it regularly. This placement question has been nagging at me for quite a long time.

Can any of you help a fellow out with some clear thinking?
    This isn't an easy question to answer because it really depends a lot on how you train.

If it were my belt, I would carry an extra mag for the primary in a MagHolder, at about 12:30 or 1:00. My instinct is to change the mag before doing a NY reload.

If you carry the mag support side, I would carry it in front of your secondary, because it is kind of clumsy trying to grab a mag at 5:00 with a gun in front. I would imagine you would bump the mag off of the butt of your secondary if you carried it behind.

Just my .02
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I carry a primary and a clear BUG. I carry one extra mag for the BUG. Rationale: my BUG is my "New York Reload" for the primary. If I ever have a double feed I don't want to screw around with having to clear it while I am taking fire, I just want to discard the primary and go straight to the BUG. I also want to avoid reloading as much as possible, as even if it only takes a second that's one more second that I am at risk in a lethal encounter than I would want to be, and there's more that can go wrong on a reload than grabbing the BUG and pulling the trigger.

All that said, I would carry the extra mag for the second gun if I was you, delaying the reload as long as possible.

Is the offside gun set up for crossdraw or weak hand draw? that is probably going to dictate which gun you carry the spare for. If I were carrying two full sized guns I would at least want one to be able to be drawn with either hand. You could accomplish this by carrying one or both AIWB, carrying the offside set up crossdraw for a Calvary or reverse Cavalry draw, (palm in right handed, palm out left handed).

If you are primarily right handed carry a spare for the gun that is accessed quickest by the right hand. Also examine how you are carrying the spare, does vertical carry or horizontal carry work better. I carry a spare mag in a Dale Fricke horizontal rig at 11:00 and find it much more comfortable than a vertical set up. You also state you don't always carry the second gun, this is another reason to carry a spare for the primary; cuts down on confusion and you won't find yourself carrying a gun that your spare doesn't fit.

If you provide more specifics like dominant hand, carry position, type of guns carried, holsters used I could give you more solid advice.
    Last edited by matthew03; July 7th, 2013 at 11:13 AM.
    Aceoky likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Partner up, OP. You can NOT deploy and solve the situation by yourself. That's why LEOs ride with a partner. Trying to do it by carrying more and more gear on your person is fraught with problems. Why? In a stress situation you will not be able to decide which gear element you deploy first. Flashlight to blind the BG? Laser sighted pistol to get a clean shot in a crowded movie theater? Or do you fire a shot-shell from your LCR to get the guy backing up?

With a partner you can have one deploy a 300 lumen light on strobe (so he can't track it) and then you get a clean shot, in crossfire position. What is impossible alone is doable in a pair up.

VIP Member
    JMO, but if your going to carry a spare magazine, it should be for your primary gun. I carry my spare mag strong side forward of my gun. Since my gun is already in my strong hand, I can drop the magazine as I reach my weak hand to remove the spare and slam it home, ready for action again.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Sponsored Links