Best Pocket Carry 40?

Best Pocket Carry 40?

This is a discussion on Best Pocket Carry 40? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I'm a little new to CC and I now have a S&W Shield 40 and a Kahr CW40 as well as plenty of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Best Pocket Carry 40?

Best Pocket Carry 40?

Hey guys, I'm a little new to CC and I now have a S&W Shield 40 and a Kahr CW40 as well as plenty of ammo. Both are great guns although I don't like not having a safety on the Kahr but I can't find a comfortable way to carry.

I CANNOT carry at work and we're not even allowed to have our guns in our vehicles so unfortunately I'm without a weapon more often than carrying. I've tried a few different IWB holsters but nothing feels comfortable. The gun always seems to bulge out and it takes me forever to get it situated on my belt/pants.

I think my best option will be to carry in my right pocket if/when I can carry. I'm about 205-210 so I'm not overly concerned with the kick of a compact 40 and I have about 1,200 rounds of 40 ammo so I prefer to stay in that caliber. What do you guys recommend? I prefer a gun with a safety.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

The CW40 is like a revolver.It has a long trigger pull. Also the safety is on your shoulders. Mine is very accurate. Forget the iwb and try an owb at 3:30 -4:00 o'clock with a cover shirt untucked. I don't like iwb. It is uncomfortable for me.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

VIP Member
    CZ RAMI .40 might fit the bill for you, although you may find it a little thick for pocket carry.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I don't think I can carry OWB. My shirts aren't baggy/long enough to cover it.

The Rami looks pretty small from pics online and holds 8 + 1 (very nice). I'll have to compare specs to what I have and maybe see if I can find one in stores to actually hold.

Thanks for the feedback guys, any more suggestions?

Dump the .40 cal, go to 9mm. The holster is also your safety. It covers the trigger, or should, at any rate.

If your shirts wont work, buy new shirts. There is more to this than most of us think when we first get into it.

One other option is to use something like the Maxpedition Versipack.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

If you want to pocket carry a 40 S&W and your Shield or Kahr won't fit the bill, I don't think you're going to find anything else better.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Buy a remora holster and pants with large pockets. Make sure you tack the pocket to the pants so that when you draw, the holster and pocket don't come out.
    joshw0000 likes this.

Is a .40S&W really a pocket gun?
    Aceoky and 006.9V2.1 like this.

The versipacks would work but that seems like it'd call too much attention. That'd defeat the concealed part for me.

I'd love to get a 9 mm but ammo is hard to find right now and I'm already pretty vested in 40 cal with my 2 sub compacts and a S&W Sigma 40 for home protection. I feel like a standard 40 hollow point would do the job whereas a 9 mm I'd probably want critical defense ammo. Target round 22's would stop someone I'm sure but it's my peace of mind.

I'll shop around for some nice pocket holsters for the guns I have before I give up on them. They're both accurate and dependable guns IMO.

Thanks for everyone's input.

You would certainly think that the versapack would attract attention. And you would be wrong.

Its the craziest thing I have ever seen. But no one ever gives mine a second glance. I went with the desert tan color.

On vacation, Xmas shopping, you name it, no one has ever looked twice at me, or what Im carrying. I bought mine on the recommendation of staff at Tactical Response. An instructor said he had one, same color as I got, and no one every looked twice at it. He was telling the truth, too, based on my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by joshw0000 View Post
    The versipacks would work but that seems like it'd call too much attention. That'd defeat the concealed part for me.

I'd love to get a 9 mm but ammo is hard to find right now and I'm already pretty vested in 40 cal with my 2 sub compacts and a S&W Sigma 40 for home protection. I feel like a standard 40 hollow point would do the job whereas a 9 mm I'd probably want critical defense ammo. Target round 22's would stop someone I'm sure but it's my peace of mind.

I'll shop around for some nice pocket holsters for the guns I have before I give up on them. They're both accurate and dependable guns IMO.

Thanks for everyone's input.

My main reason for carrying is I'm very active on Craigslist. I buy/sell/trade a lot of high end cell phones and tablets. It's a fun hobby that keeps me up to date on the latest electronics and I'm pretty profitable (it funded my guns and ammo).

That said, I meet a lot of strange people and we're always in well lit, high traffic, public locations. For me to wear a bag like that, I think it'd be suspicious as I don't think I could drive with it. So I'd be getting out of my car and putting it on just to walk across the parking lot to meet someone.

I'm thinking about ordering this - http://jdholsters.com/product/desant...ket-hand-copy/ since it can be converted to a IWB holster if it doesn't pocket carry well.

VIP Member
    Best pocket .40 = none. If you want a pocket gun that you can actually shoot you need to look at another caliber.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

kel tec p40 is somewhat small and is light weight. good little shooting gun. but they are getting hard to find.
    joshw0000 likes this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

LCR.... Not a 40, but pocketable if you like to pocket carry
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

I "have" carried a S&W .40C in my jean shorts pocket - wouldn't want to do it for an extended period though LOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links