Obtaining a license to carry in Maine

This is a discussion on Obtaining a license to carry in Maine within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone, I've finally moved to the great state of Maine. The past few weeks have been hectic but certainly worth it, I really do ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BenGoodLuck
  • 1 Post By whoppo

Thread: Obtaining a license to carry in Maine

Obtaining a license to carry in Maine

Hi everyone, I've finally moved to the great state of Maine. The past few weeks have been hectic but certainly worth it, I really do love not only the state but the town that I now call home.

Anyways,most states 21 is the minimum for concealed carry, I've been looking into Maine's laws regarding concealed carry and it seems that at age 18, one can obtain a carry permit. Is this true? Does it vary by towns and those that do their issuing through the state police?

I now live in the town of Berwick, does anyone have any experience with getting a carry permit in Berwick? I know that Berwick issues its own permits and doesn't use the state police like a lot of other towns do. The state police are taking up to 150 days to issue licenses so this seems like a good thing that my town does it's own permits, am I correct?

Right now I have a temporary drivers license issued by the state of Maine, I had my old one voided out at the DMV. Will this make any difference in applying for a carry permit? Should I wait to apply until I've received my plastic ID in the mail?

From what I've read Maine requires proof a firearms safety course in order to receive a carry permit, is this true? I have a certificate from a course I took in my home state, can I use this or do I have to take a new safety course here in Maine?

Is there a minimum period a residency before I can be issued a license to carry? All I can see is that it's issued within 60 days if you haven't been a resident for over five years, 30 days for residents over five years.

I want to give a huge thank you to everyone in advance. I'm quite overwhelmed and I honestly appreciate any and all help

2. Remove Ads

I have no knowledge about Maine, but you can get a Florida nonresident permit for about $90 in about a month and they are valid in about 35 states. FL issues permits to literally anyone with a pulse, it's borderline frightening.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    I have no knowledge about Maine, but you can get a Florida nonresident permit for about $90 in about a month and they are valid in about 35 states. FL issues permits to literally anyone with a pulse, it's borderline frightening.
    Maine does not honor FL permits according to handgunlaws.com
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

VIP Member
    Check here Handgunlaw.us

for everything you need to know.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum and good luck on your journey to obtain a concealed carry permit. A great place to start to find out information about your state is here: Handgunlaw.us and http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/maine.pdf
    Aceoky likes this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I suggest that you go talk with your local PD and get the straight answers from them. I know that ME only accepts training certs if the training was done within the past 5 years. I don't recall what courses they accept but it should be in the info packet (mailed or DL'd from website). I got my NR ME license 2 years ago and since I'm an NRA Instructor I called and asked ME SP and they accepted a copy of my teaching credentials.
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member
    Welcome to the group and welcome to Maine! I live about 30 miles north of you.

- Minimum age for a CWP in Maine is indeed 18
    - You'll need a certificate of completion for a certified handgun safety course, issued within the past 5 years.
    - ID and proof of current residence.

Applying to the local PD will likely be faster than applying to the state PD, but expect some additional delay for being a new resident as some of their background investigation will include resources in states where you've lived in the last 5 years.

Go to the local PD and get the forms from them... they can set up an appointment for fingerprinting, etc.

Here's the CWP info PDF from the state's website.. the requirements and info are the same throughout the state.
    http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/license...%20Booklet.pdf

Good luck!
    Aceoky likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Links