Why I now carry with a chambered round

This is a discussion on Why I now carry with a chambered round within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ever since I obtained my LTC I have carried with a full magazine but without a round chambered. My firearm (S&W M&P 9c) does not ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Why I now carry with a chambered round

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar

Ever since I obtained my LTC I have carried with a full magazine but without a round chambered. My firearm (S&W M&P 9c) does not have a manual safety so I thought it best to not carry chambered. However, after watching much of the Zimmerman case (not trying to discuss this case at all but just as a reference point) I realized that there are clear situations where I may not have the opportunity to charge my pistol when I may need to deploy my firearm. So now, and as uncomfortable as it is, I carry chambered.

I'm just curious as to whether or not others feel I've made the right decision.
    maxwell97, darbo, gtfoxy and 11 others like this.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

You have indeed made the right decision. And I'm happy that the Z trial as provided you with something more than controversy.

There are a lot of scenarios that you can play out in your head where it would be impossible to charge your weapon if you were attacked. If you need to use one arm to block an attack, you wouldn't be able to use it to rack the slide. If your attacker is holding onto your arm, again, it would be unavailable.

And that's just two scenarios, both of which are entirely plausible.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

it only matters what you are personally comfortable with. I would carry with one in the chamber myself, but there are plenty of folks who will not, due to personal comfort or reasons.

Darn right you made the right choice. Look, what many practice to defend against AINT the way its going to go down.

You might very well find yourself hit in the face with a bottle or bat, as you walk past a corner. At that point you are going to be on the ground, drawing from that position, and you most certainly wont have time, or the state of mind to chamber a round.

Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    Ever since I obtained my LTC I have carried with a full magazine but without a round chambered. My firearm (S&W M&P 9c) does not have a manual safety so I thought it best to not carry chambered. However, after watching much of the Zimmerman case (not trying to discuss this case at all but just as a reference point) I realized that there are clear situations where I may not have the opportunity to charge my pistol when I may need to deploy my firearm. So now, and as uncomfortable as it is, I carry chambered.

I'm just curious as to whether or not others feel I've made the right decision.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Yes, you've made the right decision. And you made it before it was too late and you had to learn it the hard way.

IMO, if you don't carry chambered you shouldn't carry at all.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Yes, you've made the right decision. And you made it before it was too late and you had to learn it the hard way.

IMO, if you don't carry chambered you shouldn't carry at all.
    Unless you like gun-shaped hammers.

StormRhydr made a great point about state-of-mind. My argument was centered around ability, but state of mind is important. You're going to be thinking about nothing but "DRAW AND FIRE". You're going to draw, then fire, and here a very LOUD *click*.

And then you'll wonder for the next couple minutes why you're gun didn't go off while you're getting the crap kicked out of you.

So again, yes, you made the right decision.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

If your gun has a safety against accidental discharge from dropping - which nearly all modern defensive guns do, and an M&P certainly does - then you really don't have to worry about carrying one in the chamber. Police do it too. Just make sure it's properly holstered with the trigger completely covered, and make sure to holster carefully to avoid catching the trigger, and you're good to go.

To give you some peace of mind, a firing pin block - which I'm 99% sure is what's in the M&P - is a little bar that's pushed into the firing pin assembly to keep it from moving and striking the primer. Pulling the trigger not only sets off the striker, it also is the only way to move that little bar out of the way. These are two seperate mechanisms that both happen to be operated by the trigger. So, even in the EXTREMELY unlikely event that something causes the striker to go off and TRY to push the firing pin forward into the primer, the firing pin block will prevent it, unless the trigger is pulled. It's a very smart and safe design.
    accessbob and KoriBustard like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Your gun was meant to be carried with a round chambered. The manufacturer has gone to tremendous lengths to make it safe for you to do so. If you do your part, carrying a gun with a round chambered is no more dangerous than carrying one unchambered.
    Aceoky likes this.

Good for you! Chamber it, put in a good holster and within a short time you'll wonder why you didn't do it the whole time.

Good job you just traded in a rock for a gun

Just be sure your holster covers the trigger and learn to be very careful and deliberate when you re-holster.

I know folks who carry unchambered and think they are fast on the draw, but to accomplish this they have to practice and practice.

The problem with unchambered carry is what happens if your weak hand is disabled or occupied before you draw.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    I carry chambered, have since the day I got my permit.

A good holster that protects the trigger, a reliable and safe firearm, i.e. no hammer that can snag on clothing and cause a discharge, trigger safety and grip safety, drop safety. Draw, aim, shoot, no worry about chambering a round or taking a thumb safety off. You will find a lot of people with guns that have thumb safety don't use it as they nothing in the way of defending themselves.

Too often we hear of a carry gun being dropped and discharging, such as Wife drops gun at McDonald's, accidentally shoots husband. Nobody should carry that such a POS gun, at least not loaded.

Now, (if possible), leave it in the holster, or if you have to un-holster to put in safe, etc., don't routinely unload and then rechamber the next time you carry. This is when AD's happen, and often with LEO's who have supposedly carried a firearm every day for years and years.
    gtfoxy and accessbob like this.

Heres another tip to stay alive & unshot: NEVER attempt to catch a falling pistol.

Let it hit the ground. Yeah, your pistol might well take a ding or scratch, but at least YOU wont shoot yourself catching the trigger as its falling.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40SCiinNC View Post
    Now, (if possible), leave it in the holster, or if you have to un-holster to put in safe, etc., don't routinely unload and then rechamber the next time you carry. This is when AD's happen, and often with LEO's who have supposedly carried a firearm every day for years and years.
    Excellent advice....thanks!
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Bad guys seldom announce their intentions or make appointments. Be prepared.
    bigwill72 likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links