Overheard (Half) a Phone Call Today...

This is a discussion on Overheard (Half) a Phone Call Today... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Earlier this evening (around 8 or so), I was out for a run (OK, it was a walk) on one of the major running trails ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Overheard (Half) a Phone Call Today...

Overheard (Half) a Phone Call Today...

Earlier this evening (around 8 or so), I was out for a run (OK, it was a walk) on one of the major running trails here in DFW, the users are a mix of people exercising and those using it to go to one of the several bars along it since there are no cars to avoid. A saw an attractive young woman, probably late 20s or so, definitely a "Texas Blonde" dressed to go out chatting away on her phone as she walked along. I was close enough to hear her (she was loud) side of the conversation and my interest peaked when I heard her say "yea, I'm going to Elm Fork...I think after that I can get my license..."

Well, Elm Fork is a well known shooting range near DFW airport and is used by a number of CHL instructors for the range qualification part of the course. Sounds to me like Blondie is getting her CHL...believe me, she did not look like the type! I guess this is a good thing (I think?)...it was amusing that I happened to overhear this. This is the second time I have been surprised by a young woman in this way, the last time was at a LGS where I saw a woman of the same age and type buying two holsters for her new Sig. Just thought I'd share.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The last few gun shows I have been to there have been as many women as men buying guns. A very welcome sight indeed, the ladies are no longer accepting the liberal theory to just submit, instead the talons are out and they will take care of themselves.
    Aceoky and GSDSchutzhund like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    The last few gun shows I have been to there have been as many women as men buying guns. A very welcome sight indeed, the ladies are no longer accepting the liberal theory to just submit, instead the talons are out and they will take care of themselves.
    It is a welcome sight, my only concern is that many of them will buy a gun, shoot it once and stick it in a drawer. That or they will qualify and get their CHL but be basically dangerously incompetent and do things like stick it in their purse. There was an older woman in my CHL class who was so inept that it scared me and the instructor actually pulled her off the range after she was unable to properly load her Glock 19 and then couldn't hit the target AT ALL from 7 yards.

Well...OP this just go to show not all of us good looking blondes are ditzy gooberettes. Or goobers.
    GSDSchutzhund and dben002 like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I'm doing my part, 4 of the 5 women in my life now have firearms of their own.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    It is a welcome sight, my only concern is that many of them will buy a gun, shoot it once and stick it in a drawer. That or they will qualify and get their CHL but be basically dangerously incompetent and do things like stick it in their purse.
    Careful not to pre-judge! There are some gals shooting Tuesday Night Steel at my club who do NOT look the part, until you see the race gun or the six mag pouches lined up like soldiers on their gear belt.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    I could come up with a few blond jokes but I wont. Yes I have seen more females at our gun club also. great to see more.http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...1/congrats.gif

Quote Originally Posted by sealteam20001 View Post
    I could come up with a few blond jokes but I wont. Yes I have seen more females at our gun club also. great to see more.http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...1/congrats.gif
    I thought about pulling out my Glock and showing it to her, but with a 3.5" barrel I don't think she would have been too impressed...and I had forgotten to wear my trench coat...

Sounds to me like Blondie is getting her CHL...believe me, she did not look like the type! I guess this is a good thing (I think?)...it was amusing that I happened to overhear this. This is the second time I have been surprised by a young woman in this way ...
    And she'd very possibly out-shoot you (and many others) at the regional IPSC/IDPA tourneys. Ya never know about folks.

Glad to see another is, apparently, getting a CHL. Nice to see so many folks waking up to reality.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by sealteam20001 View Post
    That would be quite advisable around my wife! The Blonde Lady is proud of her shooting and the ding danged trophy's to prove it. :)
    Aceoky likes this.
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

A pretty lady walking around, toting a pistol for her protection, man that's just HOT!
    Aceoky and GSDSchutzhund like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I keep asking my single 24 year old daughter to go shooting with me, maybe someday !
    GSDSchutzhund likes this.

Glad to see her take on the responsibility of her own safety!

It is a welcome sight, my only concern is that many of them will buy a gun, shoot it once and stick it in a drawer. That or they will qualify and get their CHL but be basically dangerously incompetent and do things like stick it in their purse.
    RE: the purse- don't assume that she won't buy a purpose (concealed carry purse- Gun Toten' Mama etc.) designed for the task- pistol compartment WITH holster, they can have hand on weapon and you'd never even know it!

VIP Member
    What are you two doing this weekend?

All jokes aside, I'd be a liar if I said I believed the majority of people don't profile others to at least some degree. It's awesome that some stereotypical "Texas Blonde" is taking self defense, well, personally, as we all should. I think it's nothing but a great thing. Especially if she does indeed happen to be the stereotypical "Texas Blonde", then one can be quite confident that she'll tell anybody with a set of ears about her experience and encourage her friends to do the same thing. IMO, that'd be a beautiful chain reaction - in more ways than one.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links