Wallet Question

This is a discussion on Wallet Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I typically carry my wallet in my back left pocket but as i'm right handed I plan to carry on my right hip. I'm thinking ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Wallet Question

Wallet Question

I typically carry my wallet in my back left pocket but as i'm right handed I plan to carry on my right hip. I'm thinking I should probably switch my wallet to the other side because if someone were watching me with the intent of robbing me it would look odd for me to reach with my right hand if they saw me put my wallet in the left pocket. What is everyine's opinion on this and what is the likelihood of my gun possibly being in the way while reaching for my wallet? Thanks for any advice on this matter.

2. Remove Ads

I have always felt the wallet in the right pocket would be in the way to a degree with a gun carried at 3 to 4 o'clock. It also increases the risk of flashing your gun when lifting a cover garment to get your wallet out. AND if you have carried the wallet in your left pocket for your whole life you are gonna HATE how it feels if you switch.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

That's a good point about potentially showing the gun, which seems much more likely than someone noticing me reach with the wrong hand if they demand my wallet. Thanks for the insight.

I carry my wallet in my left rear pocket and my gun holstered on my right hip. But, I carry my money and one credit card in my left front pocket (in a money clip) and have for years. For the majority of day to day transactions, the money clip is all anyone will see. If you rob me that's what you'll get and I only have one credit card to report as stolen. If you demand the wallet, I'll say "Sure thing" and reach behind me. Depending on the circumstances, you'll either be presented with a wallet or a gun.
    sdprof, BenGoodLuck and Aceoky like this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    i think that in the heat of the moment if the guy is robbing you they probably wont be paying too close attention to which pocket you put it into. now that wouldnt be the case for all but i feel most. a majority of people carry their wallet in the back right pocket so it wouldnt look out of the ordinary. i think this is the mentality of those who carry smaller guns in wallet holsters there too.
    pittypat21 and accessbob like this.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

VIP Member
    Yeah and don't forget you need to work the phone carry in as well . I still have some issues with the phone on the right as well as my CC . my wallet always has been on the left on a very big motorcycle chain attached to it . (I always carry a phone while carrying )
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Thanks for all the help. Welder, my phone is always in my left front pocket so that shouldn't present a problem. Gene, money clip in front pocket seems like a really good solution to this problem. Like you said most day to day things I'll either use cash or the one card so that will probably be the route I will take.

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    My cargo pants hold wallet, cell phone, keys, spare mag and a "drop" wallet with a small 380 IWB at 4.
    GhostMaker likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    When I started to CC I moved my wallet to my left back pocket. [ I'm right handed] It didn't take long to get used to. I also never carry my cash in my wallet if I should lose the wallet I at least have some cash in my pocket.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I'm in the wallet in the weak side back pocket camp, my phone is on that side as well. This is to keep my strong (draw) hand free if approached.

The other plan, however unlikely it would happen is if someone got the drop on me and demands my wallet, I'll take it out while angeling my strong side away from them and getting a ready to draw grip on my handgun. Then throw my wallet over their shoulder so they have to turn around as their focus will be on the wallet. At that time I draw and if they turn back around to face me, I have to assume their intent isn't the wallet, but mainly now I have the drop on them. What happens after that is determined my their actions.

Having a plan is one thing, things going according to your plan, well... I home to never find out.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

VIP Member
    Personally I think your over thinking it. Most robberies are a crime of opportunity and not where the BG has spent time checking you out.

That said, I no longer carry a wallet in a back pocket. I carry in weak side front pocket. I know, really PO's the pick pockets off.
    StormRhydr and BenGoodLuck like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Once you get your holster comfortably positioned, the wallet question will answer itself.
    ghost tracker and StormRhydr like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Wallet in weak side front pocket. Money clip strong side front pocket, weapon at 4 o'clock. Phone on weak side hip.

Lefty here, left side rear pocket wallet. I was in a small crowd once and got targeted by a pickpocket. My back pocket was buttoned down and the guy brushed against my P30 , I guess, when he tried to pick. All I know is I heard this little "Oops, sorry," and when I turned, he was fast-walking away.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

My OWB holster actually does prevent me from accessing my right back pocket. So I carry my wallet in my front pocket. It's more comfortable for my rear-end anyway, especially since I have lower-back problems. Like some one else said, a would-be robber probably won't be paying attention to which pocket you go for. My plan if ever demanded to hand over my wallet is to begin reaching as if to retrieve the wallet, but grab the gun instead. I feel like it would work pretty well.

I also carry my phone in my left pocket. If my gun is drawn and I need to call police, I'll be able to do so this way.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links