Carrying at the Workplace

This is a discussion on Carrying at the Workplace within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this could easily vary by region and occupation, but I'm curious how many of you go about it. Basically, ask for permission or ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Carrying at the Workplace

I know this could easily vary by region and occupation, but I'm curious how many of you go about it.

Basically, ask for permission or do it concealed and hope to never have to ask for forgiveness? In cases where you're "not allowed" (by employee rules, not laws), do you carry anyways? Do you just leave it in the car? Maybe you keep something small like a pocket gun instead?

I know as a delivery driver you could easily have more 'freedom' than say... an office job. Then again, your job as a delivery driver could be potentially more dangerous than someone sitting in a cozy office all day.

Just wondering how it varies with members here.

Distinguished Member
    Glad you brought this up, I'm having the same problem some what. Right now I work where we are not allowed to carry INSIDE the building. Well, with all the hunters and shooters that I work with it's rather obvious that the parking lot is full of cars/trucks/suv's that in all probability have gun(s) inside. Getting off at work sometimes late at night it concerns me to walk to my vehicle alone. A couple of trucks have been broken into and the guns taken, what's a lady to do?!!!

So far I'm now leaving my carry gun at a family members home and go by there to and from work, it's a pain but my drive home is long and too much can happen on the hwy so I feel like I should have it with me. If I thought I could get by with it, I'd carry it inside.
    Matthew 5:44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

VIP Member
    I am one of the owners of a company and i carry without my employees knowing . And i don't advertise it . I do not want my employees feeling uneasy with me carrying. But again this is Maryland the guns are never accepted here.
    But criminals are accepted .
    HAGJewels likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    If carrying is against company policy, you do at you own risk. Sometimes you have to sit down and figure out much you value your job vs being unemployed.
    WhiskeyTangoFox likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Up to you.

In some states, a statement of "no weapons" constitutes lawful notification and such notification holds the full weight and force of law.

In most companies, get caught carrying in contravention of the employee manual's specifications, and you could find yourself street-side without any recommendation or neat way of referring to your experience at that firm (when you inevitably find yourself needing to apply for another job elsewhere).

If you have an employee's suggestion box, you might consider doing the anonymous question/request there.

Or, if you're willing to be outed via your request, you can opt to speak directly to security or H.R. or whomever is charged with such policies and enforcement of them. They'll know, but then they'll know (or rightly assume) you carry.

Just keep in mind that not all people at all companies are rational beings. Many are flaming anti-gunners and liberty-haters (in the sense of being anti-2A). Your even smelling like someone who supports RKBA might be construed as a threat to such folks. In a company that's an at-will arrangement, many people have found themselves getting the short end of the stick, career-wise, for bringing up such concerns or questions. Every company's different. But you might not even know who such "enemies" are or where they're posted in the company, until you bring it up, by which time it might well be too late. Depends on your situation.

Or, you can just keep your trap shut and carry. Some deem this a dishonorable act. Some deem it a simple act of preservation. In a highly-secure high-rise facility, that's one thing. In an inner-city, open-layout, unsecured building in a ratty neighborhood where lots of cash is on-hand, that's something else.

Choose accordingly. Everyone needs to make their own decisions about the risks/rewards.
    oldman45 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

We have not set forth a policy on it at all, on purpose. I don't carry on my person in the office but usually have my gun in my desk drawer when I'm there. We can ban CHL carriers from doing so simply by writing a policy (no need for a 30.06), but not from keeping weapons in their cars in the lot. I can promise you though that if (and that's not a very likely if) a day ever came where TX legalized open carry I will ban all firearms that very same day, there is no place nor need for openly displayed firearms in our company.

I know I can't!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Life Member

where I worked for 40 it was no guns in plant or parking lot

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Not advising but just saying:

1. Concealed means concealed. Don't show and don't tell.
    2. Consider keeping a gun locked in your car. Again, don't tell.

Louisiana has open and concealed carry. We have so many people with guns that the first item on the vehicle impound sheets is the tyupe gun found in the car.

Even though we have open carry, I have never seen people carrying other then in gun stores, pawn shops and jewelry stores.
    GSDSchutzhund likes this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    We have not set forth a policy on it at all, on purpose. I don't carry on my person in the office but usually have my gun in my desk drawer when I'm there. We can ban CHL carriers from doing so simply by writing a policy (no need for a 30.06), but not from keeping weapons in their cars in the lot. I can promise you though that if (and that's not a very likely if) a day ever came where TX legalized open carry I will ban all firearms that very same day, there is no place nor need for openly displayed firearms in our company.

You currently keep a gun in your desk, but if your state goes OC then you ban all firearms from your company?
    40Cal365 likes this.

VIP Member
    My company promotes legal carry as often as possible.

Half my employees are going to be armed tomorrow, as we will be on a job in VA.

I strongly advocate carrying whenever and wherever possible, if it is legal to do so.

Given the extended period of time in this lackluster economy, DO NOT risk losing your job over this issue, especially when it is against company policy. There are more than enough daily challenges, for those of us who are fortunate to have decent jobs, earning a living to support ourselves and our loved ones.

I am retired but I carry everywhere except my home, which is my workplace. I always have one handy but "my boss" feels uncomfortable for me to carry at home. Anywhere else is ok with her.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    My company promotes legal carry as often as possible.

Half my employees are going to be armed tomorrow, as we will be on a job in VA.
    so you promote legal carry and carry yourself but if OC BECOMES LEGAL you will ban ALL FIREARMS? hardly makes sense.
    and if/when OC becomes legal and you ban all firearms, will YOU be leading by example?
    remington79 likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Im not allowed to carry on an ambulance. I have never actually seen a law (federal or state) that says I cant but most healthcare facilities are posted and signs have the the weight of the law here. That said, its locked up in my car when Im at work. Company policy forbids employees to have firearms on their property despite not being posted. So Joe Citizen can carry on our property but I cant even if off duty. Regarding my earlier statement about locked in the car, TN just passed a bill allowing it. With it, I cant be prosecuted by my employer but I can still be fired. EMTs are a dime a dozen and with my experience can easily find a new job. Id rather that, than lose my life being car jacked on my way home.

Memphis no doubt has its bad areas and while the saying goes, dont do stupid things in stupid places with stupid people, sometimes I just cant avoid stupid places and people while on the job. Would it be nice to carry on the job? No doubt. But I dont have a choice. Fortunatley even in the roughest neighborhoods, I find that just minding my business and doing my job gets me home at the end of the day. Sometimes giving a little respect to people, even if they dont diserve it, helps as well.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links