Colorado, cwp and reefer

This is a discussion on Colorado, cwp and reefer within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious, now that the folks in CO can get stoned, did the cwp laws change any with the new reefer laws? (If you smoke ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Colorado, cwp and reefer

Distinguished Member

Colorado, cwp and reefer

Just curious, now that the folks in CO can get stoned, did the cwp laws change any with the new reefer laws?

(If you smoke reefer before you shoot, will it make your bullets slower?)
    WhiskeyTangoFox and BigPony like this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Don't know but it sure seems like it.
    Sister likes this.

VIP Member
    Just curious, now that the folks in CO can get stoned, did the cwp laws change any with the new reefer laws?

Whaaat??? Oh, yeah, right.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I haven't seen any changes, but I'll keep an eye out. It doesn't affect me since I don't smoke marijuana.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Whatever is the case, it's hard to ignore the likely reality that if caught in a situation in which one is partaking of judgement-altering substances at the time, one is going to be facing some very stiff questions as to the legitimacy of the judgement and actions that resulted.

On that basis, alone, I wouldn't do both, irrespective of the changing stripes of politicians. "Flavor of the month" changes don't change peoples' nature that quickly.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; July 11th, 2013 at 08:03 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If you habitually use marijuana, a Federally controlled substance, then either you have to a) lie on the 4473 (which is a felony) b) answer honestly that you are dependent on a controlled substance and be denied.

Although I believe there are legitimate medical uses for marijuana and think that it should be a Schedule IV not I, until that changes it is illegal in all forms. Also, the vast majority of "medical" users are full of crap...sure, I have insomnia sometimes, but that doesn't mean I need to smoke some Sweet 'Bama Kush...

Anyone have the munchies?

VIP Member
    "Dude, I am so wasted......that's my skull!"

There simply has not yet been enough time for the enacted laws(and still developing Regulations for those new laws) to be in effect to get any kind of contextual understanding of any possible interaction of such issues. But, as said earlier, we will be watching--carefully.
    Rock and Glock and Sister like this.

Nope, they're still the same. Can't be a user of a controlled substance.
    Sister likes this.
    The best way to stop incoming fire is accurate outgoing fire.

...the actual question on the 4473 says: "Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana..."

...so even an occasional smoker who is neither a habitual user or addicted must answer "yes" and be disqualified...no matter the state laws and Rx, Federal law still forbids possession and use of marijuana so you're unlawful with ANY use...
    phreddy likes this.

Maybe they're hoping everyone will start smoking and becoming illegal to buy guns, ergo less guns being sold?
    The best way to stop incoming fire is accurate outgoing fire.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...the actual question on the 4473 says: "Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana..."

...so even an occasional smoker who is neither a habitual user or addicted must answer "yes" and be disqualified...no matter the state laws and Rx, Federal law still forbids possession and use of marijuana so you're unlawful with ANY use...

Playing devils advocate, isn't this a state issue since the cwp is a state by state thing?
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar

no, the bullets will seem faster because the shooter is now slower.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Playing devils advocate, isn't this a state issue since the cwp is a state by state thing?
    No, it goes beyond the CWP issue and addresses the possession of a firearm in general per 18 USC 922(d)(3) and 21 USC 802. In plain English, Federal law prohibits possession of a firearm by someone who is a user of a controlled substance as defined by the Controlled Substances Act (which is found in 21 USC).

Marijuana is currently on Schedule I, which means that it has no recognized legitimate use. Other substances in the same category include heroin, peyote, MDMA (Ecstasy), K2/Spice (synthetic pot) and some other analogues. Even cocaine has legitimate use (facial surgery, it reduces bleeding) so it is on Schedule II, most opoid painkillers are Schedule III. Personally, I believe that both marijuana and MDMA should be on III or IV and there needs to be much more CREDIBLE medical research done on their potential uses (MDMA has shown potential as a treatment for severe cases of PTSD and well as narcolepsy).

And yes, I do have a large amount of knowledge on this for someone not in the medical profession, my brother is an MD.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links