Did anybody else buy "The Law of Self Defense"?

This is a discussion on Did anybody else buy "The Law of Self Defense"? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a result of Andrew Branca's excellent coverage of the Zimmerman trial over at legalinsurrection.com, I bought his book The Law of Self Defense: The ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By randian
  • 3 Post By Tenncvol

Thread: Did anybody else buy "The Law of Self Defense"?

As a result of Andrew Branca's excellent coverage of the Zimmerman trial over at legalinsurrection.com, I bought his book The Law of Self Defense: The Indispensable Guide for the Armed Citizen (Second Edition). So far it's been a very good read.
    bklynboy likes this.

I have not bought the book yet, but started reading his posts daily on Legal Insurrection during the Zimmerman trial. He has also done some excellent analysis on that blog and his own on self defense laws generally and specifically on SYG laws this past week Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

I just read it. It is superb.

I recently completed The Law of Self defense by Andrew Branca and found it to be a very readable explanation of some complicated issues. The author is a practicing attorney with specific interest in self defense legalities. He also is a competitive shooter and this perspective is apparent in his book - he is a learned counselor trying to help the rest of us stay out of avoidable legal difficulties. The book has reference information from each state on each major subject of the book - you can use these references to read your own state's actual law.

In this great DC forum people often ask legal questions and they receive answers and opinions from others. Many of these answers are based on common sense, but unfortunately the legal system is not based on common sense which is illustrated in examples in the book. The results of not understanding the laws concerning lethal force can change our lives in bad way. The book is available and costs about as much as one visit to the range.
    molleur, LenS and Bandit22 like this.

Distinguished Member
    Thanks for posting. I have not heard of the book until just now. Great forum itsn't it!
    On my to purchase list for tomorrow. Thanks!

This looks like one I'll have to check out. Self defense requires prior understanding of legal matters in my opinion.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Got it recently. hope to read it when i am off next week

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I haven't read it yet, but bought it when it first came out.

I have an autographed copy of his 1st edition, published back in 1998. I've known Andy for at least that long. If anyone in MA or NH hits one of the gun shows you might find him there selling the book. One of these days when he's not traveling and the weather is better here, the two of us plan on grabbing lunch together. I teach a MA gun law seminar (by & for non-lawyers), so we have a lot in common . . . although I don't track case law.
    NRA Instructor

I had not heard of this book, but based on the reviews above, just ordered it from Amazon for $28 with P&P..

Thanks Guys & Gals

Gary

If you have a KINDLE or IPAD you can just get the KINDLE version on amazon here for only 9.99 Then all you have to do is get the KINDLE APP for your ipad or iphone and link it to your amazon.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Sounds like a good one to check out. I finally got my hands on a Masaad Ayoob book from local library. so many books, so little time.
    NRA Life Member

Sponsored Links