Ballistic Info: .45ACP - Page 2

Ballistic Info: .45ACP

This is a discussion on Ballistic Info: .45ACP within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sgt. Alvin York On the morning of 8 October 1918, elements of the 328th Infantry, 82nd Division, United States Army, were pinned down by German ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sgt Alvin York

Sgt. Alvin York

On the morning of 8 October 1918, elements of the 328th Infantry, 82nd Division, United States Army, were pinned down by German machine-gun fire. Seventeen men, under the command of Sgt. Bernard Early, were ordered to out-flank the machine guns.

Shortly after they left their own lines, they came across a German officer and several soldiers having breakfast. Believing that they were surrounded, the Germans surrendered. However, before Early could detach a man to take the prisoners back through the lines, intensive machine gun fire swept the patrol. Eight American soldiers survived. Sgt. Early was killed. As the remaining non-com, Cpl. Alvin York took command of the patrol. While the remaining Americans covered their prisoners, trying at the same time to avoid enemy fire, York spotted the location of the German guns, about 30 yards away. In addition to his Enfield M1917 rifle, he also carried a Colt .45 automatic pistol. The German gunners peeked over the tops of their Maxim guns to avoid hitting their own men.

With the appearance of each face, framed in its \"coal-scuttle\" helmet, York\'s Enfield spoke. One shot equaled one dead gunner. York was from the Tennessee mountains where firearms were used to put food on the table. Mountain folk were frugal, making each shot count.

Unnoticed by York, several Germans moved forward, locating York\'s position. Out of sight, they counted the shots from York\'s rifle, establishing the pattern of his shooting. They counted a series of 5 shots from his Enfield and rushed York to gain the advantage of the few extra seconds it took to reload the rifle.

As the Germans charged, they came into easy pistol range. York brought the .45 automatic into action, stopping the patrol in its tracks. He continued shooting and advancing, killing a total of 25 German soldiers and capturing 132 by himself. York was promoted to Sergeant and awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.

According to well informed people, ammo is about 10% of the solution.

Miami is typical of this statement. Tactics, being able to make telling hits on your target, are more important than the ammo.

Read Ayoobs article from American Handgunner.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    APachon,

While I am presently working on the SW .40, my love and experience for the 1911 goes back 30 years. In fact, if you look at the specs for a HRT \'single stcker'you\'ll find that my customized 1911s are almost identical. The single biggest difference is that mine are stainless.

Link

(If the pictures won\'t load I think Betty has copies.)

My 1911s are built by Terry Tussey. They receive a \'reliability package'giving the entire inside of the pistol a mirror finish. The extractor is blue, because Terry has doubts about the stainless ones. The front-strap is 30 lpi. The magazine well is champfered. The bushing is a solid replacement, fitted as tight as it can be and still disassembled with bare hands; I find it helpful to use a bushing wrench for expediency. The trigger is set to a higher poundage. The safety is modified to be harder to disengage. The sights are red/white Milletts. (He has now fitted my pistols with Novak low-mount. The hammers are from a Combat Commander.

My oldest Tussey dates from 1984.

It has never had a stoppage in thousands of rounds, both commercial and handloads.

Tourist, you are killing me, you put up all these specs to what sounds like a sick pistol and thepics do not work LOL. Do you have a URL for this gunsmith???

~A

Originally posted by The Tourist
    APachon,

While I am presently working on the SW .40, my love and experience for the 1911 goes back 30 years. In fact, if you look at the specs for a HRT \'single stcker'you\'ll find that my customized 1911s are almost identical. The single biggest difference is that mine are stainless.

http://p077.ezboard.com/ffirepowerfp10forumfrm13.showMessage?topicID=18.to pic

(If the pictures won\'t load I think Betty has copies.)

My 1911s are built by Terry Tussey. They receive a \'reliability package'giving the entire inside of the pistol a mirror finish. The extractor is blue, because Terry has doubts about the stainless ones. The front-strap is 30 lpi. The magazine well is champfered. The bushing is a solid replacement, fitted as tight as it can be and still disassembled with bare hands; I find it helpful to use a bushing wrench for expediency. The trigger is set to a higher poundage. The safety is modified to be harder to disengage. The sights are red/white Milletts. (He has now fitted my pistols with Novak low-mount. The hammers are from a Combat Commander.

My oldest Tussey dates from 1984.

It has never had a stoppage in thousands of rounds, both commercial and handloads.

APachon,

Sorry, guy, it looks like Weapon Maintenance @ www.ezboard.com is now defunct. I\'ll try to get a message to the owner; we talk on the telephone every few weeks.

Anyhoo, Terry has a website. See him at:

http://www.tusseycustom.com/

(Try to get into the ezboard forum through the front door at:

http://pub13.ezboard.com/bfirepowerfp10forum )

Terry\'s gruff, he doesn\'t suffer fools, and when you tell him you know that \"crazy biker\" he\'s likely to tell you to keep better company.

If you ever get to fire one of his customs, you\'ll know why guys pay money and wait in line. I have over $2K in my little .380, and sometimes I shake my head.

Then I shoot it...

He does some amazing work.

~A

APachon,

If you go to the second EZ Board address I posted, you can then go to the section for 1911s.

From there, go down about 2/3\'s of the page until you see a thread marked \"Tourist\'s 1911.\"

My Tussey Gun, an Enhanced and my Strider AR appear there.

DC Founder
    I fixed the link in your first post, Tourist, it had an error in it and works fine now. Nice looking 1911\'s, BTW :kay:

Bumper,

Thanks for the help. I did want to show APachon that traditional single stack pistols can be proper for defense. I like the comment that Jeff Cooper made, \"Just because something is old doesn\'t mean it cannot be good.\"

I find comfort in that as I grow older.

As I pay off my chrome bill and finance my new business I also yearn for another Tussey Officers ACP.

I wore out the first one he built for me--and rebuilt three times. I really liked shooting it...

FLM
    I remember reading that Terry Tussy is Steven Seagal\'s gunsmith. Seagal is a 1911 fanatic and is supposed to be an excellent shot.

My order for a Talon is about to go out in a week or two. Then it is the waiting game. Nice going Nighthawk :kay:, see what you got me into, lol. Now I am looking to build up one for the wifey as I know after she fires mine she is going to try and appropriate it.

~A

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links