CCW problems

This is a discussion on CCW problems within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a very short rant. Have had CCW in first in VA then SC for 17 years with no issue. Time to renew in SC. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: CCW problems

CCW problems

Just a very short rant.
    Have had CCW in first in VA then SC for 17 years with no issue. Time to renew in SC. because of volume of applicants, I called SLED 120 days prior to expiration date. They said I can't put in application before 90 days. So, at 9am exactly 90 days prior to license expiration I sent in renewal request by email. Called last Friday, they had received everything at that time, and was told it would still be at least 4 to 6 weeks AFTER the license expire before I get the renewal. So, no carrying until then. I would think that if they specifically limit a person to 90 days they should do their part and get it back in time. Fat Chance

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Government efficiency
    sealteam20001 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    You would think.

That sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbaldguy View Post
    Just a very short rant.
    Have had CCW in first in VA then SC for 17 years with no issue. Time to renew in SC. because of volume of applicants, I called SLED 120 days prior to expiration date. They said I can't put in application before 90 days. So, at 9am exactly 90 days prior to license expiration I sent in renewal request by email. Called last Friday, they had received everything at that time, and was told it would still be at least 4 to 6 weeks AFTER the license expire before I get the renewal. So, no carrying until then. I would think that if they specifically limit a person to 90 days they should do their part and get it back in time. Fat Chance
    Kinda like the IRS...if they owe you.....nice. If you owe them....avoid jail time! Friggin system anyway. It's not a two way street, it's you bow to the system and beg for mercy no matter what the law says.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    SLED upped the price of the CWP on their own, saying they were swamped and needed it to "facilitate efficiency" in serving the public.
    Governor Haley whacked them on the neck and made them lower it back down.
    Revenge? maybe...
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbaldguy View Post
    Just a very short rant.
    Had the same happen to me so I got a PA permit so I was still legal......Looks like your state won't allow this unless you are a resident of the other state,,,,,If you have a pro carry legislator,,,,it might be worth a phone call or email.....

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Have you asked SLED if your permit is still good if you've applied for renewal and they're behind on reissuing it?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I had the same thing with my Nevada permit and wrote them a letter asking for a 120 day temporary license while I waited for them to complete their backlog. They called and said I could come pickup my new permit. I would drop them a respectful letter requesting in writing an extension or temporary license they might suprise you. I sent mine to Sheriff directly.

Good Luck
    Last edited by manolito; July 14th, 2013 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Have you asked SLED if your permit is still good if you've applied for renewal and they're behind on reissuing it?
    I'm in the same boat as the OP. I sent mine in 90 days prior to expiring. It expired the 6th of July. They told me "leave your gun in your car, you can not carry until you receive your new permit".

SUCKS.
    Kimber Ultra Carry II Stainless- Springfield XD-S- Ruger LCP

The problem is that you are using "logic". They aren't.

Distinguished Member
    Dang, you can't even apply for a FL non resident permit because SC will not recognize it.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Here in El Paso County in Colorado the Sheriff is granting extensions to your current permit if they don't get your renewal done in time.

That's just not right. Specifically disallowing renewals prior to 90 days, then failing to be capable of processing within 90 days. You had it ready to roll at 120 days. No excuse for this, you're right. I'd be a little disgusted with that process, too.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Before Indiana went to lifetime permits, if you had your paperwork that showed you had applied for your new license in a timely way, you could carry with that, and your old permit, until the new one arrived. Before you assume you can't in SC, I'd at least investigate. It is true, however, that SC isn't the most gun friendly state in the Union.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    one more for govt. bulls--t

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links