Christopher Deedy Trial

Christopher Deedy Trial

This is a discussion on Christopher Deedy Trial within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I noticed (and cleared with mods) that we have no discussion of the Christopher Deedy case on here. The brief summary of this case is ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Christopher Deedy Trial

Christopher Deedy Trial

I noticed (and cleared with mods) that we have no discussion of the Christopher Deedy case on here. The brief summary of this case is that Chris Deedy, a State Dept. Diplomatic Security Service (DSS) Special Agent, who was deployed to Hawaii in advance of the APEC economic conference last year was involved in and incident where after a night out in Waikiki he had an altercation with a local man (who was drunk and high on cocaine and had an extensive criminal record) in a McDonalds that resulted in a fight and Deedy shooting and killing the man.

Deedy is currently on trial for Second Degree Murder and Use of a Firearm In The Commission of a Felony. He faces life in Hawaii state prison if convicted.

This gives a brief summary:
    The Story » DeedySupport.com

And yes, I am biased strongly in favor of SA Deedy, I have been to Hawaii and have found the locals to be the most racist and bigoted group of people I have ever encountered in my life.

Local television station has surveillance video of the incident.

Prosecutors show surveillance video in Deedy murder trial | KHON2
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I was stationed in Hawaii for three years and can attest to the attitude of locals towards us. I'll have to refrain comment though until checking up on case facts

Thanks for mentioning us in your post! There's a lot of reporting out there from local media, including the surveillance video. Please take the time to read about Chris' case on our site, www.deedysupport.com, and add your voice to the conversation if you see fit. You can see from the comments we've been generating on our webpage and Facebook fan page that the issues raised in the trial are clearly causing some tension.

-The DeedySupport.com Staff
    Last edited by DeedySupport; July 14th, 2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: added link

Oh good... I was already going through trial withdraw... I'm in for educating myself on this case.

Edit: Ex Member? Apparently he didn't clear the anti-Hawaii remarks with the mods...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Quote Originally Posted by GSDSchutzhund View Post
    I was stationed in Hawaii for three years and can attest to the attitude of locals towards us. I'll have to refrain comment though until checking up on case facts
    When were you aboard MCBH Kaneohe Bay?

There is some tension between the locals and government employees (particularly) military on Oahu. It often plays out in Waikiki during the weekend nights.

Generally speaking though, no one in Hawaii can legally carry, a LEO or federal agent would be the exception.
    Aceoky and goldshellback like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I was born and raised in HI and lived there almost all my life. You say you have been there. I don't know whether it was as a visitor or if you resided there for any length of time. In any case, if you had made the effort to interact with and know the people there, you probably would have had a much deeper appreciation for them. Hawaii is a melting pot of races, nationalities and culture, and the people there have learned to live in harmony with each other more than any part of the US, IMO. Nowhere is this evidenced more than in the intermarriage of races and nationalities. I have four other siblings, and four out of the five of us have spouses of a different or mixed race or nationality, including me. Newcomers to the Islands might find it strange and disturbing to be in the minority there, especially if they're white, but again, if they make the effort to know the people, they will be accepted and embraced by all. If they want to stand aloof and disparage the locals, they will probably come away with the same impression as you.

Aloha,

Neko
    goldshellback and Whip12 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    When were you aboard MCBH Kaneohe Bay?

There is some tension between the locals and government employees (particularly) military on Oahu. It often plays out in Waikiki during the weekend nights.

Generally speaking though, no one in Hawaii can legally carry, a LEO or federal agent would be the exception.
    I was on KBay from 09-11 and then Camp Smith 11-12. First weekend there I ran into some local guys (and might I add large guys) who wanted to get in a fight simply cause I wasn't "From da Island Brah"
    Thankfully not all of them were like that and did make the 3 years enjoyable, but sometimes you run into those that wanna "Keep the country country" that are just out looking for a fight.

I'd like to go back but some of their laws are just crazy and one sided.

Hmmm interesting...

Coke and booze are definitely close to skittles and arizona iced tea... Granted, a plaid shirt is no hoodie, so I think I will wait to see how this plays out and hope we don't have Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson come running to incite riots...
    Glock1978 likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I'm concerned about the prosecution's allegations that Deedy had been bar hopping the night that this happened. That, in and of itself, doesn't necessarily make him guilty, but as we know, alcohol and firearms are not a good mix.

“The defendant was fueled by alcohol, primed by warnings by his friends about the hostile locals and ignited by the power of the Glock,” Futa said.

Prosecutors point out Deedy should not have been drinking while carrying a weapon and called on another federal agent to testify on what’s forbidden according to the manual for all agents.

Trial underway for federal agent accused of Waikiki murder | KHON2
    357and40 likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

While this may have happened in Hi. it could have been anywhere USA. Late night/early morning visits to McDonalds, White Castle/Burger King/Denny's/ or any other popular feeding spot is always a place these confrontations can take place. Have to say I been there myself.

I watched the vidio, and it's obvious to me who the trouble makers are. The guy in the checkered shirt and hat seem's to be the problem child. His buddy seemed to be backing his play. Like the Zimmerman incident this seems to be a case of bringing a gun to a fist fight. This is a young man who has served his country, and has proven his worth. Unfortunately he may have made a mistake. If I were his supporters I'd make a call and see what Mark O'Mara is doing these days...
    Last edited by Secret Spuk; July 14th, 2013 at 07:21 PM.
    thechriskarel likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My son was on the same detail as SA Deedy and has been pretty closed-mouthed about it, probably at the suggestion of the DSS higher ups. Like the Zimmerman case, it seems to be an unfortunate combination of circumstances that resulted in a tragic outcome. Like the Z case, and most, it could have been avoided by cooler heads.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I'm concerned about the prosecution's allegations that Deedy had been bar hopping the night that this happened. That, in and of itself, doesn't necessarily make him guilty, but as we know, alcohol and firearms are not a good mix.

“The defendant was fueled by alcohol, primed by warnings by his friends about the hostile locals and ignited by the power of the Glock,” Futa said.

Prosecutors point out Deedy should not have been drinking while carrying a weapon and called on another federal agent to testify on what’s forbidden according to the manual for all agents.

Trial underway for federal agent accused of Waikiki murder | KHON2

There ya go, I keep tellin' everybody these things are magical....
    GSDSchutzhund likes this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    If you are drinking you need to leave the gun at home. There is ZERO reasons to be carrying a firearm after you have been consuming alcohol. From what I have seen Deedy made no attempt to retreat or defuse the situation, in fact he went back into twice. I can't see how you can claim this is self-defense or justifiable. Can't see this being anything but a guilty.
    006.9V2.1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Edit: Ex Member? Apparently he didn't clear the anti-Hawaii remarks with the mods...
    No, he did clear it. But he proved he couldn't abide by forum rules, so he's gone. Special avatars reserved for such people.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links