traveling take gun or not

This is a discussion on traveling take gun or not within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be traveling through many states on family vacation and can not decide on taking my gun or not. We will be in 8 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: traveling take gun or not

traveling take gun or not

I will be traveling through many states on family vacation and can not decide on taking my gun or not. We will be in 8 different states 5 of which have reciprocity with my state. Overall we will be spending a little more time in the states that do not have reciprocity than the ones that do. Mostly doing sightseeing and visiting family that I have not seen for many years. I have grown accustomed to carrying as much as possible and do not like the idea of not having it while traveling but not sure I want to hassle with putting gun away when in states I can not carry and worrying about violating some local laws that I am not aware of. Oregon, California, and Nevada are the states I can not carry in. It would look like I am ok having the gun unloaded in the trunk of my vehicle in those states.

Just wondering what others with more travel experience than me think about this. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

You are at more of a disadvantage as a traveler in a strange place than you are in your hometown, as your SA is likely to be impaired by a vacation mentality and a lack of familiarity with your surroundings. I carry out of state everywhere it is legal. Of course do be sure that you understand the applicable laws in all of the states you go to. Even states that have reciprocity with your state are likely to have different laws with respect to such things as carrying in a bar or a state park, for example.

Better have it, and not need it...than need it and not have it.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Yep, I would carry it and the states that do not reciprocity your state I would just unload it and obey the laws there. I think but you can check if you are staying at a hotel or motel you can load it but when you are traveling you have to unload.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Just flew with my EDC for the first time it is a little more trouble but traveling is a pain these days anyway.
    Flying or driving in the future I intend to stay armed if at all possible,

Best of luck to you either way, hope you and your family have a nice time.

I travel carrying where ever legal. I use "legal heat" app for the phone to let me know about the states laws and comply with each (even though I don't agree)
    RETSUPT99 likes this.

VIP Member
    I always carry when traveling. If I am unfortunate enough to encounter a state I lock it away.
    RETSUPT99 and GhostMaker like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Take it with you. It's not that much of a PIA to keep it locked when you're in the other states.
    StormRhydr likes this.

I carry when I travel motels can be dangerous a lot of nice old folks but I have spotted predators as well.
    StormRhydr likes this.

I will be traveling out of state soon. I will take my handgun with me, and carry wherever legal. I plan on going from WI to VA, then on down to Fl. On return I will be going through a few different states, not so far East. I have carry licenses from WI and FL which covers all the states I will be going through except IL and SC, although now the status of IL has to be pursued before leaving. Will check with HandgunLaw.com with each state traveling for any peculiarities. Staying in motels/hotels nowadays using your SA to full extent is imperative, along with inter-state rest stops and fuel stations. Take your SD handgun with you always, and abide by state/local laws. Be safe!
    Best Regards,
    "Doc" aka Bill
    SLAINTE VAR!!

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    If i could legally take it, i would do like the other's mentioned.If i couldn't,i wouldn't.As crazy as some of the anti lawmakers,officials,etc., are about guns,these days,i wouldn't even take a chance of possibly getting caught.

Pro
    I agree with many posts here. Bring it along (and carry when legal) as long as you are certain you will be legal possessing a handgun. As long as you stay away from states like NJ, NY, and MA where you can't even POSSESS without a permit you should be good.
    Minimum government, maximum freedom.

NRA - Member
    GOAL - Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ducmonster View Post
    I will be traveling through many states on family vacation and can not decide on taking my gun or not. We will be in 8 different states 5 of which have reciprocity with my state.

Oregon, California, and Nevada are the states I can not carry in.
    Uncertain what your full list of states is, where you'll be traveling.

California's a lost cause, of course, for travelers. No carry for you, there, sadly. You can indeed keep arms locked and unloaded in the trunk there, but as an "outsider" be prepared to answer some sticky questions if you happen to get "outed" or pulled over and questioned. At some of the border control checkpoints, you might well get asked some things.

Oregon is an open-carry state. So, even if your CHL is not recognized by Oregon, you can carry openly lawfully. Though, realize the state does have state-wide preemption on firearms laws, but it allows OC to be regulated by key municipalities. Check OpenCarry.org for OR.

Nevada is also an open-carry state. Check OpenCarry.org for NV.

So. That might well mean you can essentially carry in 7 of 8 states you're planning on traveling to, albeit with some OC restrictions in key municipalities in OR (perhaps NV as well; uncertain on that).

Myself: I'd bring the sidearms, spare mags (though, be careful of high-cap mag limitations), spare ammo, knives (though, be careful of max-length statutes). And I'd carry openly in states where my CHL and non-res CHL's were not recognized. Of course, in key municipalities, firearms might well not be worth it depending on the muni-allowed regulations on open-carry. In such places, I'd go well-armed in other ways. Consider bringing a stout cane or "walking" stick of sorts; pepper spray; knives; kubotan; other defensive tools.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thanks for the opinions I am definitely going to carry where I can. Not real comfortable with the OC idea so will just lock away in trunk when not allowed to carry. I did a quick check on the laws in each state mostly concerned with if I have to disclose if contacted by LEO. In Iowa not required and I would prefer to not disclose unless have to by law. My wife would probably freak out if I open carried since she really does not know how often I do carry. She knows I do but pays no attention to when or how often.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Yes take it. obey the laws. very easy to shoot when you have it. than trying to shoot without..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links