Why I will always carry from now on

This is a discussion on Why I will always carry from now on within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ride a lot! I already have close to 8,000 miles under my belt this year. I often find myself carrying as well as riding. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Why I will always carry from now on

Why I will always carry from now on

I ride a lot! I already have close to 8,000 miles under my belt this year. I often find myself carrying as well as riding. It's entirely possible with my P226 since I obviously do it all the time. It can suck at times because sitting on a superbike is very much like bending over. I just hike up my pants and make sure they're not coming down. Lot's of people ask me why I even bother since we always ride in a group but I'll tell you this: You never know what's gonna happen. However I left it at home one night when I went out to the bars.

Friday night I found out why I will always carry from now on (not at bars of course)

Friday night I was within earshot (200 ft or so) from a shooting coming home from the bars around 2 am (I left my gun at home that night). I clearly heard 5 shots and I found myself drawing a blank as to what I should do? I wanted to go and investigate sooo bad but I felt that it would be better to not run at the sound of shooting lol. But honestly it was the first time that I found myself without my firearm and legitimately scared.

Man fatally shot in downtown Denver during melee - The Denver Post
    The best way to stop incoming fire is accurate outgoing fire.

2. Remove Ads

Being on a super bike you should be able to outrun most bullets. On your rear wheel no less

Kidding. But I am always armed and if its someplace I cant be then I dont go there. Not so sure about going to investigate shooting in a downtown area where LE is likely all around. Still better to have it than not have it if you need it.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I'm guessing scared was a good thing in this case.
    Not sure running TOWARDS the sound of gunfire armed or not would even have been a consideration if I had been in your shoes.
    You might think of just leaving the weapon at home for a while under any circumstances.

You learned a valuable lesson that night, hopefully you won't make the same mistake next time.

My wife and I went to the Tilted Kilt for dinner and caught the late showing of Now You See Me at the Pavilions 16 on Friday night. About one hour prior to the shooting, we walked to our car parked at Wazee & Cherry Creek/14th, passing about block away from soon-to-be crime scene at 15th & Market. I would NEVER spend an evening on the Mall /LoDo area unarmed- The .32 ACP NAA Guardian in my front pocket was most comforting. Always keep your senses sharp and alert for brewing trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaSteve08 View Post
    It can suck at times because sitting on a superbike is very much like bending over.
    There are other modes of carry that might work better on a bike. Many choose shoulder carry, belly bands.

I clearly heard 5 shots and I found myself drawing a blank as to what I should do?
    Rethink the truth of how it's hard to leverage what you don't have with you.

Been in a few brewing situations nearby, myself, in which I've been unarmed. It's no fun, to realize shoulda/woulda/coulda doesn't go very far, when the S is H'g TF.
    Ghost1958 and thechriskarel like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    There are other modes of carry that might work better on a bike. Many choose shoulder carry, belly bands.

Rethink the truth of how it's hard to leverage what you don't have with you.

Been in a few brewing situations nearby, myself, in which I've been unarmed. It's no fun, to realize shoulda/woulda/coulda doesn't go very far, when the S is H'g TF.
    No kidding! Hip holster works best for since I'm always wearing a jacket.

But seriously, I just hit the throttle and took off. I saw at least 8 cops coming from all directions less than 2 mins later. Needless to say: Lesson learned. Thankfully without a more extreme encounter.
    The best way to stop incoming fire is accurate outgoing fire.

Always carry don't get involved unless your life or your loved one is threatened.

I'm at a point in my life where I don't stay out late, don't go to bars, don't go towards the sound of gunshots, and don't ride motorcycles...but I DO carry at all times.

I'm sure there's some witty saying about age and wisdom I could insert here, but I'm also too old to remember it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Running toward gunshots is for police and Marines. Even if you have no duty to retreat, avoiding a fight is the best way to win a fight.

I wonder if I can dig up any recent news stories where a legal CC'er could have avoided a world of headaches by avoiding a confrontation?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaSteve08 View Post
    I ride a lot! I already have close to 8,000 miles under my belt this year. I often find myself carrying as well as riding. It's entirely possible with my P226 since I obviously do it all the time. It can suck at times because sitting on a superbike is very much like bending over. I just hike up my pants and make sure they're not coming down. Lot's of people ask me why I even bother since we always ride in a group but I'll tell you this: You never know what's gonna happen. However I left it at home one night when I went out to the bars.

Friday night I found out why I will always carry from now on (not at bars of course)

Friday night I was within earshot (200 ft or so) from a shooting coming home from the bars around 2 am (I left my gun at home that night). I clearly heard 5 shots and I found myself drawing a blank as to what I should do? I wanted to go and investigate sooo bad but I felt that it would be better to not run at the sound of shooting lol. But honestly it was the first time that I found myself without my firearm and legitimately scared.

Man fatally shot in downtown Denver during melee - The Denver Post
    Sounds like the drinks were trying to over ride common sense. I hear shots, armed or not, I'm heading the opposite direction.
    JDE101 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Have fun stay safe stay out of the lime light.

VIP Member
    Drinking is overrated.

Carry more often, drink less.

Win Win.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    Drinking is overrated.

Carry more often, drink less.

Win Win.
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    Running toward gunshots is for police and Marines. Even if you have no duty to retreat, avoiding a fight is the best way to win a fight.

I wonder if I can dig up any recent news stories where a legal CC'er could have avoided a world of headaches by avoiding a confrontation?
    Naaaah! Not a chance.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links