Got lucky

This is a discussion on Got lucky within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So the other day I went to pick up a popup camper I bought. When I get to the place the lady didn't have the ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By Sister

Thread: Got lucky

Got lucky

So the other day I went to pick up a popup camper I bought. When I get to the place the lady didn't have the electoral cord for lights, no plate since new purchase, and title was in another location. I took the camper anyways, and got pull over. He believe me that I didnt steal it, but I forgot to mention to the officer that I had my CPL! He came back from his car and asked "Do you have a weapon on you?"

Well luckily I didnt because he said if I would have, I would be in some deep trouble.

That was the first time I had been pulled over after getting my CPL license.

Sent from my HTC One VX
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; July 15th, 2013 at 04:22 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Ouch. Glad it worked out in your favor. However you carry your drivers licence, do everything short of glue your CPL to it! Mine is wedged in the same window of my wallet as my license and DOT medical card.
    Tada gan irracht - Nothing without effort

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
    Ouch. Glad it worked out in your favor. However you carry your drivers licence, do everything short of glue your CPL to it! Mine is wedged in the same window of my wallet as my license and DOT medical card.
    The way I read it he had his permit, just wasn't carrying at the time. To the best of my knowledge you don't need to inform that you are not carrying a weapon.
    Dan060, OldVet and squid86 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    The way I read it he had his permit, just wasn't carrying at the time. To the best of my knowledge you don't need to inform that you are not carrying a weapon.
    I just reread that. I interprited it as he forgot it, its still early and I just finished tudoring my GF on some very dry FEMA stuff for school lol.

Duty to inform varies by state. Here in Tennessee we are not required to inform unless the officer asks. I have only been stopped once since I got my carry permit and informed anyways. He was cool about it, didnt take my gun (which I was OC'ing) radioed dispatch that he eas secure and waved off a passing officer.
    Tada gan irracht - Nothing without effort

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    I didn't inform once, at a license ck.I was coming home from work,one Sunday,i pulled up to one ,and gave the LEO my dl, and as i went to hand him my registration,ccp,etc.,he handed me, my dl back,and said have a nice day.They must have,been looking for drunk drivers or someone,in particular.I took my dl back and went on.
    Sometimes,our minds are on other things,and we forget.Stuff happens.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    No gun, no need to inform. Anyone in a state that its statutes state otherwise please chime in.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

In NE we are required to inform the LEO that we have a permit when contacted in an official capacity. I carry my permit on top of my DL so I don't forget it. I think it is a good idea to identify yourself as a permit holder and whether or not you are armed to protect yourself and so the LEO doesn't get excited if he sees a bulge. I think I read that from Massad Ayoob. Anyhow that is my take on the matter, be up front so no one is surprised.

I don't think we have a duty to inform in SD (and I have checked). As a matter of courtesy and common sense I do inform, though. Today I strapped on my Nano and headed to the range, got there and realized I forgot my wallet & permit. Here in SD you're supposed to have your physical permit on you but if you can produce it w/in 24 hours there's no problem. Still I drove very carefully back home to get my wallet!
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member
    In SC I was told when I got my cwp that you have to tell the police when they pull you IF you have a gun in the vehicle. Nothing about saying anything if you didn't.

BTW, when seeing the title of this thread I thought.....well....you figure it out
    BamaT likes this.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Some states that require you to notify LE upon contact only require you to notify if you are currently carrying. It's best to research any states CC laws BEFORE you step foot there. I've pulled over to the side of the road and checked gunlaw.us because a route I was taking had me venturing into a state I didn't realize I'd have to drive part way through.

Closest I have come to being checked by LE since I started carrying was when I stayed overnight in another town in PA. I was leaving town in the morning and remembered some new CD's I had in the back of vehicle so I pulled over on the side of the road to get them. I had just picked them up and turned to walk back alongside the car and saw a local police car slowing to pull in behind me, I held up the CD's for him to see and he waved and crossed the road and made a turn back to town.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Best thing is to check for each states requirements. I don't have to inform them unless they ask but I choose to. I only say something if I am carrying though. I really dont see any point of given the your LTC if you aren't carrying.

Sent from my DROID RAZR cuz robots are cooler than fruit.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I don't think we have a duty to inform in SD (and I have checked). As a matter of courtesy and common sense I do inform, though. Today I strapped on my Nano and headed to the range, got there and realized I forgot my wallet & permit. Here in SD you're supposed to have your physical permit on you but if you can produce it w/in 24 hours there's no problem. Still I drove very carefully back home to get my wallet!
    I was pulled over in SD a couple years ago (light was out) and gave my permit with my DL. The cop was appreciative that I informed him but there was no duty to inform in SD. He just asked me where the gun was and for me to keep my hands on the wheel. No problem. He gave me a fix-it ticket and sent me on my way. SD is pretty chill about gun carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
    This.

I keep my CHP in the same window as my drivers license. Can't forget that way.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meryl View Post
    In NE we are required to inform the LEO that we have a permit when contacted in an official capacity. I carry my permit on top of my DL so I don't forget it. I think it is a good idea to identify yourself as a permit holder and whether or not you are armed to protect yourself and so the LEO doesn't get excited if he sees a bulge. I think I read that from Massad Ayoob. Anyhow that is my take on the matter, be up front so no one is surprised.
    Are you sure about that?

From the NE State Police FAQs

Q.Do I have to tell people I have a concealed handgun?

A.If you are a permit holder carrying a concealed handgun and are officially contacted by any peace officer
    or emergency services personnel, you must immediately inform the peace officer or emergency service
    personnel of the concealed handgun unless you are physically unable to do so.

These individuals have the right to determine whether it is necessary to secure the handgun du
    ring the contact for the safety of any person.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links