I Got Made by a Friendly

This is a discussion on I Got Made by a Friendly within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Virginia, it is illegal to carry any dangerous weapon into a place of worship when a religious service is going on, "without good and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Got Made by a Friendly

I Got Made by a Friendly

In Virginia, it is illegal to carry any dangerous weapon into a place of worship when a religious service is going on, "without good and sufficient reason." Being Jewish, I feel that the risk of my Synagogue being attacked by white supremacists or Jihads during services is real enough that I usually carry concealed at Friday night worship services. Jewish institutions are attacked in this country several times a year; a Jewish Federation in Seattle was shot up by a crazy man a couple of months ago because he was mad about the U.S.'s involvement in Iraq. One person was killed and several wounded.

The pants I was wearing last night have elastic side panels. My Tucker "Answer" IWB tuckable holster interferes with those side panels and forces the strong side front pocket to gape open, displaying the pocket liner, so I moved the holster further to the rear than usual, almost into a small of the back position. I wore it untucked as I had a jacket over it.

A few minutes before services were to begin, I rose from my seat and walked to the front of the Sanctuary to adjust a lighting rheostat mounted to the speaker's pulpit. The split panel at the rear of my jacket caught on the butt of my Glock 23 as I stood and the entire butt was exposed as I walked to the front. A good friend (permit holder and member of my gun club) immediately called on me to adjust my jacket, which I did. He and his wife just laughed it off.

I was lucky that the Friday after Thanksgiving is a poorly attended service, so there were only a handful of people in the room, all on the other side of the aisle and in Condition White, so they never noticed it (I think). I left the room as services began and tucked the shirt in over the gun so that I wouldn't have a repeat.

2. Remove Ads

Thankfully, it is lawful to carry in churches in MN, so that's not a concern.

I admire your courage, and agree with your position, since so called "gun free zones" invite attack. Houses of worship of all faiths seem to be magnets for whackos, so I always feel especially responsible when carrying in church.

So far, to my knowledge, I've not been made. My main concern are those "Minnesota nice" hugs, so I always keep my strong side arm ready to drop to the position to cover my IWB Glock....
    Last edited by JimmyC4; November 25th, 2006 at 11:58 AM.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    Thankfully, it is lawful to carry in churches in MN, so that's not a concern.
    I thought it was recently illegal? Mike Hatch did it or the courts...I can't remember. Oh well... Good to know I guess. Thanks for clearing it up.
    XD SC 9mm
    S&W 340pd

Minnesota Gun Talk

"A thing long expected takes the form of the unexpected when at last it comes." Mark Twain

I've researched church violent crime and every denomination is vulnerable. I’m lucky also in that I can carry at church... and do.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

... so called "gun free zones" invite attack. Houses of worship of all faiths seem to be magnets for whackos, so I always feel especially responsible when carrying in church.
    Absolutely. Any "gun free" zone has simply cleared the path of resistance for BG's. Why the anti-gun types insist in disarmament as being a cure-all is hard to fathom. Must be a great comfort to the enemy (the BG).

Carry. Always.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Just goes to show you that your friend is also aware of what is going on around you. Whether he is armed or not, at least you know there is another set of eyes should you ever need them.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

The Idea Of Gun Free Zones...

is ludicrous...
    Not in church, not in the library, not in the county building (they are always in the nice part of town), not near the alcohol, not at a large gathering of people...Sheesh...

I am sure glad I live in Florida!

Carry 24/7...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In NC any public gathering is off-limits. This includes everything from a funeral to church to a "movies in the park" event.

Quote Originally Posted by brauchma View Post
    I thought it was recently illegal? Mike Hatch did it or the courts...I can't remember. Oh well... Good to know I guess. Thanks for clearing it up.
    In Minnesota, the law does not make it illegal to carry in a church. The recent judicial decision means that churches can choose to ban guns from their premises and parking lots. Read more details about it in this Star Tribune story: http://www.startribune.com/462/story/813330.html
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    jofrdo:

Hey, good for you for carrying where you have some reason to think you'll need it. And good for your friend, too.

I don't want to get too off-topic here, or venture into controversial territory, but I cannot fathom why EVERY Jewish person alive isn't armed to the teeth, given your centuries-old record of being persecuted everywhere....(check out JPFO, too, if you haven't- - they're the real deal).

The same line of reasoning often makes me wonder why all women aren't just complete gun-nuts, given their tendency to lack size and strength (on average) to men, thus making them more vulnerable in a physical attack.

Just can't figure it out....

VIP Member
    I can't understand why all people aren't armed to the teeth. We all come from races and ethnic backgrounds that anger someone.

There is someone here that wants each and every one of us dead. The fact that some people don't do anything about it is mind numbing to me.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

The Idea Of Gun Free Zones is ludicrous...
    ... 'cause the only ones it disarms is us, giving the criminals free reign. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I'm one of the lucky ones too. I too can carry in a church and at public gatherings here in Kentucky. Gun free zones, just put a sign out..

In Minnesota, the law does not make it illegal to carry in a church. The recent judicial decision means that churches can choose to ban guns from their premises and parking lots. Read more details about it in this Star Tribune story: http://www.startribune.com/462/story/813330.html
    Thats right. Thanks JimmyC! I can't stand reading the "star and cicle". Thats for the link. So they have to post a sign then. thanks for the clarification!
    XD SC 9mm
    S&W 340pd

Minnesota Gun Talk

"A thing long expected takes the form of the unexpected when at last it comes." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    ... 'cause the only ones it disarms is us, giving the criminals free reign. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
    This is what drives me the most crazy! The sign stops law abiding citizens from carrying. No BG, heading into a bank to rob it, is going to turn around and put his/her gun in his/her car because he/she saw the sign! He/She is going to head on in knowing that there is a good chance that the number of guns in that bank is less than the one he/she has.

Drives me bonkers!
    XD SC 9mm
    S&W 340pd

Minnesota Gun Talk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links