Conceal Carry everything!

This is a discussion on Conceal Carry everything! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by HotGuns Also...it would seem to me that disparity of force and the fact that they were after guns would have been enough ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Conceal Carry everything!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Also...it would seem to me that disparity of force and the fact that they were after guns would have been enough for a justified shoot...if they had the time to do so. Losing control of a gun is a no-no. I could understand it if they came up behind you and put a blade to your throat, but the next few times around should have been more difficult if people had been alerted.
    That is true, if you're talking about a one-on-one attack. Even then, if someone already has the gun out, you can assume you'll absorb some lead if you decide to fight. They're simply too far ahead of you. You have to draw, get on target, and fire. They just have to pull the trigger. But, when you factor in a four to one advantage, you are in a no win situation. I have yet to meet a man that could draw and engage four targets faster than someone could start pulling their wn trigger. I would venture that even a USPSA open champ couldn't pull that one off. In that situation it appears to me that you have two choices, surrender your weapon or go down fighting. The choice is one that is impossible for anyone but you to make, but I would assume that nearly all people would hand the weapon over in that situation.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

2. Remove Ads

One Mugging, Two, Three...

OK, but after a dozen, in a small town? I think people (the famous 'Ben Brothers'...) would have been, could have been, should have been more alert.

Wow, I was certainly not there, but with just a few problems in our neighborhood this last couple of weeks...people are definitely MORE alert.

Certainly good points about CCW...my knife is always clipped to my pocket, but I do take extra care to hide my sidearm...loose shirt or pocket carry.

Thanks for the info...

Stay alert...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    The hiding of the knife makes sense, but I doubt I'll change. I've carried the same folder, in the same way, for a LONG time. It was with me at all times in uniform as a Marine, it was with me before I got my permit, and it is with me now. It gets used quite often in my day to day life. If someone takes that as a sign I am carrying a gun, they will be correct now. But for many years they would have been wrong.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

This post has made me think about things. Do I even want someone to know I have a knife? Even if I am not the target of a attack, seeing a knife on me would alert a criminal to my possible resistance in a robbery-thus removing the element of surprise. Good post. Now I have to modify my carry methods yet again.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    This post has made me think about things. Do I even want someone to know I have a knife? Even if I am not the target of a attack, seeing a knife on me would alert a criminal to my possible resistance in a robbery-thus removing the element of surprise.

BINGO! Now they can prepare better for the attack. I keep telling the knife carriers I know locally about it everytime I see their knives clipped to the pocket.

This is one reason I haven't bought any tac knives. I also don't like the weight in my pocket.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    great post and welcome to the forum. I am guilty of carrying my knife in this manner, and have never thought anything about it. I can't wait to start looking for them. Unfotunately, I can't find a better place to put it. mugging ccw'ers is risky business in my opinion, and it would seem to be easier prey...but after reading this...maybe not. But if you think about it....most people know, 4 0n 1 is not good odds, and isn't a smart fight even with a firearm in most cases, especially if you are not trained and are a casually carrier.
    thanks again for the thoughtful post.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    This post has made me think about things. Do I even want someone to know I have a knife? Even if I am not the target of a attack, seeing a knife on me would alert a criminal to my possible resistance in a robbery-thus removing the element of surprise. Good post. Now I have to modify my carry methods yet again.
    I agree. My theory: Sheepdogs should look like sheep!

BTW welcome, and good post!
    Last edited by tj1231; November 25th, 2006 at 08:12 PM. Reason: forgot welcome!

I am sure that there are many other ways that someone might think I carry, for instance how aware I am, how I watch everyone and avoid letting people get to close.

My knife is black as well as the clip and always black jeans so the clip doesn't show mutch.

I saw in a catalog someone was making clips of various colors so they would blend in with the clothes.

Now there is a reason to buy more knives, one for each outfit.

Lead Moderator
    Good point. I have found wearing my cell phone next to (and overlapping) helps conceal the knife clip. Yet it is still easily accessable.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Another thing I look for is Surefire/Tactical light clipped to a shirt/jacket/pants pocket. We give the perps more information than we realize.
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

One other thing to consider is the fact that in some states, the CCW (or more correctly the CHL) only covers a handgun and not other defensive weapons, so becareful carrying those knives (as well as other defensive items) as you can still get in trouble for em' if they (L.E./Prosecutors) want to push the issue.

Very Good Post, makes you think.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

4 on 1 odds?

RUN!

RUN FAST!

Distance and cover can help even out the odds. Chances are they won't try to stop someone from fleeing just to rob them. I would rather risk getting shot trying to get away than being disarmed and then shot, possible with my own weapon.

Around here everyone has a clip knife. The key is identifying the $10 crap knives from the quality knives. I also disguise mine with both cell phone and cover garment.

An LEO buddy of mine pointed out that in addition to the Wilderness belts, any leather belt with a buckle relating to guns, knives or hunting can be a giveaway as well.
    Jeff
    Preparing the way...Straightening the path.

Administrator

Thumbs up

Really great thread that you started.
    Glad that you decided to become active.

Interesting.
    I'm guessing that in a small town where nothing major (crime wise) ever happens it would be quite easy to slip into a state of daily firearm carry complacency.

A well orchestrated planned assault happens Very Quickly.
    A couple of seconds from the go signal and the attack has begun and is sometimes over in the same few seconds if the attack is a violent one.

Concerning clip knives...I personally do not like knives that clip to a pocket or belt.
    I "pocket carry" my knife and removed my knife clip the same day my knife arrived. Just a quirk of mine that I do not like clips on knives.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the boards, B1911!

I absolutely keep all my gear concealed. I can't clip my knife to my pocket anyway - women's front pockets are small and practically useless and would cause the knife to fall out, and for me to open carry a knife would raise a few eyebrows and cause people to ask questions, only because women don't usually cary such things. (It's belt-clip lipstick, really!)

People carrying knives are usually a big flag to me that they're probably carrying more. I like to figure out what kind of knife they're packing based on the clip design, and watch them when I compliment their Spyderco.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links