Conceal Carry everything! - Page 3

Conceal Carry everything!

This is a discussion on Conceal Carry everything! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Were there any confirmed instances of photographer's vests or fanny packs being taken?...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Were there any confirmed instances of photographer's vests or fanny packs being taken?

I remember when it used to be, where if you saw a guy with a fanny pack AND a wallet print from his rear pocket, it was a dead giveaway that the fanny pack was carrying something other than his wallet.

Nowadays all you have to look for is the 'tactical'/photographer's vest, and if he's not takin' pictures, or holding a cmera, he's hiding something.

This is why I carry a small firearm in a pocket holster in my front pocket that does not print at all, and when I'm alerted to something that doesn't feel right, I can put both hands in my pockets. I am then fully gripping my firearm, ready to draw and fire in less than a second if need be.
    Attached Images
    Always remember: 3 can keep a secret, if 2 are dead!

Good point. It sure would be nice to add some credibility to the story though. Where is the link to case?

Quote Originally Posted by okgr8outdrs View Post
    An LEO buddy of mine pointed out that in addition to the Wilderness belts, any leather belt with a buckle relating to guns, knives or hunting can be a giveaway as well.
    I keep hearing shooters raving about the Wilderness belt, but it looks so "gun belt" to me, and I'm sure others. Yet, everyone keeps squawking about vests, which are perfectly normal in my climate. Go figure...

The bottom line is keep stuff concealed, and in a way that blends with your style of dress and environment. The parade of knife clips is about as obvious as it gets in my opinion, so cover it or don't use it...now see how easy that was...heh.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I'm going for the Hugh Heffner look and just wear a red bathrobe 24/7. No one will be able to figure out if I'm packin' or just really lazy.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Good post, welcome to the forum.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

I'm trying to locate a news source on this story other than my friend, but I'm not having much luck. I do believe that the town does have a newspaper, but there isn't anything on the 'net about it and the nearest (larger) community is 45 miles away. I see if I can get a hold of something for you folks. I know it's always nice to have some sort of link to a story.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Sounds like these bg's were better organized and more observant than your average thug.

Having said that, I do carry a pocket knife with a clip. I take a bit of a different tack on it though. I use a knife constantly at work, but anything bigger than a pen knife tends to draws negative attention. So I keep one of those cheap folding utility knifes clipped to the outside of my pocket.(clip is inside knife is hanging outside) It uses disposable utility knife blades, and I can legally carry it anywhere I am required to go without so much as a sideways glance.

Reality check: unless you are in Soccer Mommy Suburbia, clip-knives are common. Maybe not on the coasts, but certainly in the midwest. Is it something to consider? Absolutely. But also be aware that the more layers of concealment you have, the slower access will be, to any tool. There is the unfortunate prejudice towards the strong-side firearm, and its "empowerment" potential. A single tool, or single "modality of operation" is failure waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    I keep hearing shooters raving about the Wilderness belt, but it looks so "gun belt" to me, and I'm sure others. Yet, everyone keeps squawking about vests, which are perfectly normal in my climate. Go figure...

The bottom line is keep stuff concealed, and in a way that blends with your style of dress and environment. The parade of knife clips is about as obvious as it gets in my opinion, so cover it or don't use it...now see how easy that was...heh.
    At the TwinCitiesCarry Breakfast recently, one of the guys had a GREAT over sized red down vest on. Nice big insulated / padded pockets were part of the package. You could walk around all day with your parka open and your hands in the big vest pockets and no one would look at you twice.

Good points made. I habitually carry a Cold Steel Voyager clipped in my right front pocket. I also carry a Gerber Backup next to my magazine holder at 7o'clock. I carry in the appendix position so I'm thinking I need to look at where I carry my voyager.

Good post and welcome to the forum.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

That was a very good post. I never thought about concealing everything. I am sure most people jsut worry about there firearm since that is what is always emphasized.
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

welcome

Good post, ill be looking for those knives. In Mass. (so i'm told) the best thing to do is use Pepper spray first if possible before drawing.
    The courts tend to favor this approach, however i've seen them on
    keys chains attach to a belt loop.

JimB

To add to the idea of concealing everything... It's likely that you will not be able to.

Your alertness will give you away long before your knife clip IMO. Predators know a "hard target" when they see it. If you are aware of your surroundings you will know when you are being interviewed even if it's non verbal and it will end there.

As for a gang of guys looking to rob gun toters and decerning them by the knife they carry... Better add to that the shoes they wear, the seat they pick in a restaurant, the way they walk around a corner, the toys on their keychains, the 550 cord around their neck, the wallet in their front pocket, etc.

Most importantly will be the "head on a swivel" give away, and that is going to be there no matter what you wear.

Somethings we CAN over think.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonshooter View Post
    To add to the idea of concealing everything... It's likely that you will not be able to.

Your alertness will give you away long before your knife clip IMO. Predators know a "hard target" when they see it. If you are aware of your surroundings you will know when you are being interviewed even if it's non verbal and it will end there.

As for a gang of guys looking to rob gun toters and decerning them by the knife they carry... Better add to that the shoes they wear, the seat they pick in a restaurant, the way they walk around a corner, the toys on their keychains, the 550 cord around their neck, the wallet in their front pocket, etc.

Most importantly will be the "head on a swivel" give away, and that is going to be there no matter what you wear.

Somethings we CAN over think.
    Good post. +1 on the BG's being able to spot a "hard target". Even though the bad guys are... um, bad... that doesn't mean they're dumb and do not know what they are doing. The ones that are bad at robbing people are doing hard time, while the good ones are continously refining their craft. Being able to observe someone without looking suspicous, how to set someone up for a pick-pocketing, being able to utilize your enviornment to your advantage, the best places and times to commit a robbery, where are the "safest" places to commit a robbery, who to target, who NOT to target, ect.
    Last edited by razorblade; November 29th, 2006 at 12:04 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links