Conceal Carry everything!

This is a discussion on Conceal Carry everything! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was thinking about this post today and have a question for everyone............ Knife hanging from pocket......... possible give away to CCW Most of us ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Conceal Carry everything!

I was thinking about this post today and have a question for everyone............

Knife hanging from pocket......... possible give away to CCW

Most of us wear on our strong side. How many of you handle everything with that hand??? Have you paid attention to cell phone use?? Is it in your strong hand?

Or maybe picking things up.....always use your draw hand?

I have started noticing, and making minor changes to my daily things. I've started using my weak hand side for my phone, and I try to use it to pick things up, or move things around.

I figure if you are going to be in any position for an attack or whatever, this would be a very opportune time. If BG are willing to look at whether or not you have a knife clipped to your pocket, they might be paying attention to which is your strong side also. That way when they attack, they know to disarm that side. You can't draw effectively if your hand is near your ear, or holding a whatchamacallit or thingamajig.

Maybe it's just me, but if I was a BG I'd be looking.........
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B1911 View Post
    Thanks for the hello.
    Another note (short this time);

Yesterday I went to the mall with the family. The story was still fresh in my mind, which made me very aware. I began looking for those lil tactical knives. I can't tell you how many I saw people carrying them. It allowed me to look even further, and sure enough there were several people that I could see a slight print of their firearm.
    But... doesn't the fact that you found so many people with the knives, but only "several" with firearm prints (that you suspected were firearms, anyway) sort of indicate that the presence of the knife is NOT a very reliable indicator of the corresponding presence of a CC firearm?

It begins to seem almost like a high school logic lesson in syllogism.
    All gun carriers carry knives.
    Not all knife carriers carry guns.
    Therefore, knife presence does not prove gun presence...

Dunno. Still, there is food for thought in your post, regardless. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    Most of us wear on our strong side. How many of you handle everything with that hand??? Have you paid attention to cell phone use?? Is it in your strong hand? Or maybe picking things up.....always use your draw hand?
    I'm a southpaw but shoot right handed, so I do most of my fine manipulation with my off (left) hand (working with a cellphone, keys, etc.) I tend to carry heavy objects (suitcases, for example) in my right side. That's something I ought to try and avoid.

However, even if the object is in your off hand, it shouldn't necessarily stay there. Unless you're carrying something that's worth your life (like your child), drop it!

Quote Originally Posted by tj1231 View Post
    I agree. My theory: Sheepdogs should look like sheep!

But that contradicts the idea that predators prey on those that look weak, and will go out of their way to avoid those who look like they will give a fight...

So, are we inviting attack because we look like fighters, or are we inviting ttack because we look like "sheep"?

Quote Originally Posted by oregonshooter View Post
    To add to the idea of concealing everything... It's likely that you will not be able to.

Your alertness will give you away long before your knife clip IMO.
    <snip>

Better add to that the shoes they wear, the seat they pick in a restaurant, the way they walk around a corner, the toys on their keychains, the 550 cord around their neck, the wallet in their front pocket, etc.

Most importantly will be the "head on a swivel" give away, and that is going to be there no matter what you wear.

Somethings we CAN over think.
    Excellent points. It reaches a level where we have to ask ourselves, "Are we so well-defended that we've made ourselves into a target?"

I don't agree that it means that. We talk all the time about how the predators will go after the ones they figure won't fight back or won't see them coming. Now this thread's line of thinking is that being alert, being prepared, makes us a target because now they want what we're carrying. Geez! So what's the solution? Go back to looking like the oblivious condition-white dopey guy and invite being selected as a target for a different reason?

I'd rather pin my hopes on the idea that looking like someone who's not soft and squishy will send the BGs on looking for easier prey. LET 'em know I'm prepared to fight 'em. Let 'em be discouraged.

If they plan to attack a defended person, there ain't nothing we're gonna be able to do about it anyway!

VIP Member
    I think it is entirely possible that we're just over thinking this. A person can decide to target you for any number of reasons. Next we may see a news report that says that people are bing mugged because they don't have knife clips showing, so the BG assumed they weren't prepared to fight back.

I now carry an E2E clipped to my pocket as well. I figure that sends a signal to some people. Of course, I would also guess that most of those are the good guys... so I'm not worried. At times we give BGs too much credit. I don't think most put that much thought into what they do... they just do it.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Not sure I totally agree with the premise of this thread. It seems to me that just about every teenage boy around carries a knife clipped inside one of their pockets. As do many man & women who probably don't CCW.

A while back I was "made" by a Mr. Know-it-all CCW instructor who informed me that I was printing badly... as he handed me his card (hawking me for some additional instruction). I was walking out of a sporting goods store and he followed me outside to tell me I was possibly breaking the law by printing so much. He said that he was trying to help me out by pointing out my ineffective concealment (of course he went on to say he teaches classes on effective concealment).

I had to laugh at this joker because my printing was from my iPod on my hip under my polartec vest...

As I began to laugh I told him that I promised not to shoot him with my iPod. I also said thanks but no thanks for the business card. His face quickly turned 3 shades of red as he excused himself and got into his brand new fullsized pickup with the 1911-A1 personalized license tags & the magnetic signs advertising: firearms safety, shooting and CCW classes. Talk about sticking out like a sore thumb...

My gun was actually in a pocket holster with my strong hand on it as he handed me his business card.

To me concealment is more about comfort, attitude & awareness... not the presence or absence of paraphernalia.
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

Has anyone found a link, newsclipping, article, or anything covered by the media about thugs targeting people with knives clipped to the inside of their pocket? As far as we know, we're all huffing and puffing over incidents that may very well never have occured. Was this to start a new urban legend for CCW'ers? possibly not. I believe this was a way illustrate the need to be aware that sometimes we can provide indicators to the bad guy. That point, i feel, is very viable. However (comma) I've decided not to rearrange my entire wardrobe over something that could have very well started as a"... let's see if I can get these gullible suckers to believe this" story. I also find it odd, that yes, people with handguns were robbed, but not a single one decided to draw. What did they do sneak up to the victim and put him in a full nelson? Hold his wife and kids hostage? Oh wait, there were just too many of them (smack forehead). You can say this can happen because it was in a small town. Thing happen in a small town that aren't covered in the news. But if that is the case, then why isn't this occuring elsewhere. It was an isolated incident, where the robbers successfully were able to take the victim's gun. Even though they were caught later, the robbery itself proved the theory of knife = gun works. Although I take the message of the thread seriously, and feel it is a viable point, I won't rearrange my wardrobe. I will however, continue to be alert and think about carrying another magazine.

Kankujoe, great story! :thumbup:
    +1!

Welcome to the forum. Excellent post. I'm not sure I want to give up my T5.11 pants and my wilderness belt - BUT you made me think about other aspects of CCW that I need to be aware of. I've tried to be much more aware of my surroundings and try to stay alert.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Razorblade,
    Razor-sharp response. I like! You use good logic and a healthy amount of skepticism -- and (no disrespect to O.P. intended) it is warranted.

One wonders how this all was supposed to have taken place over X period, in a small town, and word did not spread quickly to, "be on your guard, someone's targeting CCWers, and we're all of us CCWers!" At least, not before 14 of them lost their guns. NONE of them were harmed?? Hard to swallow.

B1911 is either yanking our chain or for some reason not getting the proof I asked for some 3 pages back.

Hell, even I could find proof in less than a week knowing who the officer was and making a few phone calls.

I'm calling BS!

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Kankujoe, great story! :thumbup:
    +1!
    In the CCW world like any other world there are always those who know what is best for everyone. It is good to learn from several sources but you must internalize the info to make it your own or natural for you.

The best concealment is in the attitude of confidence that you carry yourself. If you are comfortable in your own skin you are not an easy mark for anyone. Your brain is the real weapon, everything else is just a tool.

Unless you are walking around in a fog, or out there with a chip on your shoulder or slinking around looking paranoid you are pretty much in the clear.
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Razorblade,
    Razor-sharp response. I like! You use good logic and a healthy amount of skepticism -- and (no disrespect to O.P. intended) it is warranted.

One wonders how this all was supposed to have taken place over X period, in a small town, and word did not spread quickly to, "be on your guard, someone's targeting CCWers, and we're all of us CCWers!" At least, not before 14 of them lost their guns. NONE of them were harmed?? Hard to swallow.
    Thanks Peacefuljeffrey

No, your right. This wasn't meant to disrpespect the poster. It was just hard to believe. Not impossible, just unlikely.
    Last edited by razorblade; December 5th, 2006 at 11:26 PM.

Where's the beef!?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links