Conceal Carry everything!

This is a discussion on Conceal Carry everything! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by XD in SC Most of us wear on our strong side. How many of you handle everything with that hand??? Have you ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Conceal Carry everything!

Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    Most of us wear on our strong side. How many of you handle everything with that hand??? Have you paid attention to cell phone use?? Is it in your strong hand?
    I generally pick things up and handle items with my weak hand, leaving the strong hand free. Bags are slung over the shoulder of the weak side, generally.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

in MY little hometown

I don't know how things are everywhere else...but in my little hometown (2500 folks if I'm home) it wouldn't have taken more than 2 days for the locals to realize, recognise, find & stop that sort of behavior! Now I understand than I live in the forgotten end of a rural, backwards state. But here in the Kentucky Backwoods we show plenty of Southern Hospitality to "strangers" but we also keep a close eye on 'em. Our youngins' roam the woods & pastures of the surrounding countryside (there's not much else to do) & know who otta' be there & who shouldn't. We watch-out for eachother & we look-after our own. It might take a Deputy Sheriff 45 minutes or a State Trooper an hour or two to get to the scene...but friends & relatives of the victim would be tracking those out-of-town low-lifes faster than a minnow can swim a dipper. And those thieves better be REAL comfortable in the woods 'cause the folks coming to see about 'em would rather be outside hunting something than doing anything else on God's Green Earth.

Thinking about it...I honestly don't believe there's many folks with the skills to stay hidden in this part of the country if the locals had a good reason to FIND them. There's too many genuine trappers, hunters, and skilled woodsman around here. I admit we're not too keen on "Street Smarts" that comes from growing-up on the tough side of Detroit or Chicago's South End. But when it comes to roaming the hills & hollows of the deep woods, we've been doing it all our lives. And our Fathers have, and our Grandfathers have.

With all due respect...I think the story may be horse feathers.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Reality check: unless you are in Soccer Mommy Suburbia, clip-knives are common. Maybe not on the coasts, but certainly in the midwest. Is it something to consider? Absolutely. But also be aware that the more layers of concealment you have, the slower access will be, to any tool. There is the unfortunate prejudice towards the strong-side firearm, and its "empowerment" potential. A single tool, or single "modality of operation" is failure waiting to happen.
    I gotta agree. When we become overly obsessed with concealing to the max, we might just have taken ourselves out of the fight altogether.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Good story but as far as I am concerned only a story. Letís see some links. Local and or regional papers and television stations would have covered this story.
    livin in the woods...feelin mighty good

If these thieves are smart enough to develope and successfully practice the brand-new "Clipped Knife = Conceiled Weapon" theory then what are they doing sleeping in the woods on someone else's property? Why don't they develope a strategy that preys on victims that are less likely to SHOOT them? Or a strategy that provides bigger payout with less exposure... like, uh..."High-End Beauty Salons = Big Diamonds & Fat Purses"?

I realize Small Town Law Enforcement often is surprised by well-run, well-organized criminal activity (but with the rural Meth wars going on, they're getting better all the time) however, the more times I read the original thread the less likely I feel we're dealing with fact.

We're gonna' feel like a bunch of idiots if the newspaper reports show up!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    But also be aware that the more layers of concealment you have, the slower access will be, to any tool.
    The suggestions have been re some concealment, versus none. Sure, layers will slow things. But concealed means just that. It's simple to sew in a little knife pocket inside the main pocket, such that the knife doesn't show to the public and yet is equally quick to deploy. Or, inside the belt line hanging IWB off the pants. No downside. Doesn't "print." Works fine and quickly.

There is the unfortunate prejudice towards the strong-side firearm, and its "empowerment" potential.
    Agreed that some believe a firearm to be the answer, to be able to resolve all ills, to work for all situations. Can't imagine who would honestly think it could work that way, but some have expressed the sentiments.

The thing is, having a weapon doesn't necessarily mean using it (firing, slicing). The verbal demands that one stop and the hand-on-weapon and warning of impending use (when justified) can itself be a powerful motivator. Those motions are the precursor to actual drawing/firing, of course. It's nothing extra. It's part of the training. It's the oft-ignored "other" weapon at one's disposal, when carrying. (I've used this once previously, when drawing was justified but not yet immediately critical. The warning to cease was sufficient, with the obvious motion/preparedness bringing home the message. The other instance was a draw but not fire, and that, too, was sufficient to stop a dual-person attack. Both of these instances were quick, impending attacks that were quickly stopped once the BG's showed their cards.)

Knife/gun are both the same basic thing: deadly force tools. Other than a kubotan and keys, there aren't many other tools a citizen can carry, with the concealment rules on the books (billy club, nunchuku, others come to mind). So, what it comes down to is, basically: avoid, avoid, avoid; if get attacked, stop its progress by the means you have; fire/slice if needed, if pressed beyond the clear warning given. Frankly, if you've got a firearm and something less, deploying the lesser tool might well get you stopped, disarmed, then killed for the effrontery (the "diss" of resisting). Doesn't make sense. Moral of the story: tools are only out of place if misused.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I think a knife would probably be carried by a gun person but a gun not necessarily carried by a knife person. I see a lot of knives around here but I would assume that most don't carry a gun. I do look for these things and I'm sure I've missed some.
    -Biker

B1911,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the story and information. The more information given to the participants, the more informed we become. I never want to stop learning and I certainly don't know it all. I have been carrying concealed for over 5 years and still consider myself a novice, eager to learn new tactics about carrying my CCW.

I, personally like to read any stories, substantiated or not. They all make me think the situation through, thus educating me, sometime in areas that I never thought of before.

tex
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

I haven't look at this thread for over a week, and am amazed at the political correctness exhibited, or is it just manners. After being hoodwinked into taking the opening post seriously, soon afterward I recognized it for what it is, and am insulted to have ******** thrown at me on this forum.

If I see this documented such that it proves to be an accurate story, I will tender a deep and sincere apology. Until then...count me as one who called BS....

If the BG's stole my gun and knife, they should hope the LEO's get them before I do. I wouldn't be pretty. Catch back's a muther.

FREEDOM MATTERS!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links