Conceal Carry everything!

This is a discussion on Conceal Carry everything! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi folks, (this is a long read, but I believe it's worth it) I’ve been reading in this forum for about a month now. Never ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Conceal Carry everything!

Hi folks,
    (this is a long read, but I believe it's worth it)

I’ve been reading in this forum for about a month now. Never really posted anything or replied. I find this forum to be very informative, and entertaining as well. A little about myself; I’m a fairly laid-back kind of guy, quiet at times but can voice my opinions and thoughts when I feel it’s necessary. I’m not one who likes to argue and I certainly avoid conflict when I can. I’ve been around firearms all my life and I like to take part in the occasional competition. I’ve been carrying concealed now for about 10 years. I won’t engage in the caliber wars, or the “my gun is better than yours” arguments. I’ve been there, and it’s always futile. I believe the story that I’m about to tell you is important…a story that one should take with a grain of salt, but certainly a story that should be told.

A friend of mine who is an LEO in one of the southern states called me the other night. He’s in a town with a population of about 895 people. A Very small town where everyone knows each other. Nothing ever happens in this town. People leave their doors unlocked and everyone looks out for one another. Just about everyone has some sort of firearm, and a CCW permit. There is the occasional bar brawl and ornery kid who throws a rock through someone’s window, but other than that…things are easy and quiet.

About a month ago one of the citizens was mugged on the street by 4 men. Only his wallet and knife were taken. The incident was being investigated, but they thought it to be “just a couple of kids being too rowdy”. Well two days later another man was mugged. They took his handgun, wallet and knife. 30 minutes later, another man mugged…handgun and knife taken. The next morning yet another man mugged. That’s right…his handgun, wallet and knife were taken. Things are heating up now and county LEO’s are called in to assist in the investigation. In a span of about 1-½ weeks, a total of 14 people had been assaulted. All of this took place at the beginning of hunting season, which makes the town very transient with out-of-towners. They finally caught up with the perps. They were camping out in a heavily wooded area just outside of town on someone’s property. There were 4 of them. They found several handguns, rifles and shotguns. Among the stolen items were quite a few knives…the tactical kind.

I have emphasized knife in this story for a reason. After interrogating the perps, they uncovered their plan. The perps would purposely look for people carrying concealed. They could tell if someone was carrying by the printing of the firearm, but what really gave it away for them, was that little tactical knife that people clip on the inside of their pockets. To them, that was a dead give-away to them carrying a concealed firearm…and that’s what they were really after – the firearm. We all know that those lil’ tactical knives are synonymous with CCW and handguns. You can’t pick up a handgun related magazine without an add for a tactical knife. It’s part of our arsenal…along with our Surefire tactical flashlights.

I know there are arguments on concealed and open carry. That’s not my point here. The moral of this story? So much emphasis is put on “concealing our firearm”, but what about the rest of the stuff we carry on a daily basis? There are professional criminal’s out there who are very intelligent and they’re coming up with new ways of getting what they want…YOU, or YOUR PROPERTY! If you’re going to conceal…conceal everything.

Thanks for reading

Very good point.

By the way, allow me to be the first to say hello. Unless someone else has beaten me to it.

Yep...everyone has to be aware of what information they are displaying to the public. For those who watch closesly enough you can find out a whole lot about a person just by watching them for a few minutes. GOOD POST

Thanks for the hello.
    Another note (short this time);

Yesterday I went to the mall with the family. The story was still fresh in my mind, which made me very aware. I began looking for those lil tactical knives. I can't tell you how many I saw people carrying them. It allowed me to look even further, and sure enough there were several people that I could see a slight print of their firearm.

I'm downright surprised the guys got that far, robbing CCW holders. Was everyone in condition white, or were they really just that good at planning everything out in advance?
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Well in a town where "nothing ever happens" I'm sure quite a few of them were in the "white" zone. But if you have 4 professional criminal's with a well laid-out plan... who knows?

Do you have any links to any of the robberies ? This is a very good post.

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    I'm downright surprised the guys got that far, robbing CCW holders. Was everyone in condition white, or were they really just that good at planning everything out in advance?
    Having spent part of my life in Detroit, I can say with authority that four BGs "hunting" in a pack are much more dangerous than the "lone wolf." A pack like described above can put down even the most vigilant.

Fortunately, BGs are like wild predators in that they fight amongst themselves, so usually operate alone, making attack much more defensible.

WELCOME B1911
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Yes that was a pretty good post. You touched on several important factors that some of us (myself included) weren't aware of. I'm pretty suprised these guys had enough gaul to rob CCW'ers. Or at the very least, able to stay alive long enough without getting blown away. Your point of "concealing everything" is valid. That also goes with "not looking the part" by wearing 5.11/tactical-type clothing, something I'm also guilty of as well. Unfortunantly, there is a problem. Being able to conceal your tactical knife really depends on what state you reside in. In many states, citizens have a CCW. But a few states, such as here in Virginia, have a Concealed Handgun Permit. The CHP only covers handguns, and not any other weapons such as knives, black-jacks, brass knuckles, ASP batons and such. The state law coverning knives is something like it can't be over a certain length, that it must within plain view and not disguised in such a way as to hide it's true nature. Pocket knives, such as a 2 inch "gentleman's knife" is allowable, however a Microtech Halo might be a problem. Basically, you can have it clipped to your pocket, but you couldn't have it pushed all the way into your pocket without any part of the knife exposed. Will an LEO be willing to push it? probably not. However, CombatCarry does not endorse illegial activity, nor do I, so it's up to you.
    Once again, good post :)

Quote Originally Posted by B1911 View Post
    After interrogating the perps, they uncovered their plan. The perps would purposely look for people carrying concealed. They could tell if someone was carrying by the printing of the firearm, but what really gave it away for them, was that little tactical knife that people clip on the inside of their pockets.
    Absolutely.

Many LEO's I know carry in that manner. Unless it fades into the clothing, color-wise, though, it can be a strong clue. Doesn't take much intelligence to see the ad. Definitely easier to get to ... the problem is, that applies to both the wearer and the perp. Whatever else it is: it's advertisement; it's going unconcealed. IMO, it's way too risky for the benefit.

Thanks for bringing up the point.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; November 25th, 2006 at 05:20 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum. A good post! I recall a statement by another forum member linking the knife clipped to the pocket to concealed carry. He quoted his wife as saying something like "seeing the clipped knife just makes one look a little closer for a concealed pistol too".

My practice is to cover everything, including the Wilderness belt, which I have seen worn only to support a pistol. All of my pants have a vertical seam in the right front pocket to divide it into a narrow section for the folder with no clip and a wider section for currency & cards.

Note: In my state any knife (fixed or folder) with a blade of 3.5 inches or less can be legally concealed by anyone.

Assistant Administrator
    Excellent food for thought.

I think my knife clip is effectively concealed under my average cover garment, which also is usually well loose enough to avoid printing.

I am well used tho in my area to seeing knives on folks.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    but what really gave it away for them, was that little tactical knife that people clip on the inside of their pockets
    Most people that carry a knife use the clip to hook up to the top of the pocket. Those fools would have been very dissapointed around here....mostly they would have just got nice little knives.

Also...it would seem to me that disparity of force and the fact that they were after guns would have been enough for a justified shoot...if they had the time to do so. Losing control of a gun is a no-no. I could understand it if they came up behind you and put a blade to your throat, but the next few times around should have been more difficult if people had been alerted.

As for being found on someone elses property camping out with thte goods...the LEO's should have made sure that the perps thought that the wrath of GOD had descended upon them !

Anyhow....great post. Welcome !
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    An alternate place to clip your knife is in your waistband (law permitting). The clip is then hidden by your belt!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Concealed

Good post next time I'm out shopping with the wife I'll have to be a little more observant
    US Paratroopers give the enemy maxnimum opportunity to give his life for his country

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links