Getting tired of dressing around a gun

This is a discussion on Getting tired of dressing around a gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all - I've been carrying a sp101 3" for quite a while now (I love that thing) but this summer has really got me ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Getting tired of dressing around a gun

Getting tired of dressing around a gun

Hey all - I've been carrying a sp101 3" for quite a while now (I love that thing) but this summer has really got me really made me question how I carry. The truth is that this gun is a pretty chunky little thing (about the size of a g19) so in order to hide it, I'm going with a full sizes holster and belt, and an undershirt and cover shirt. It's hot this summer and trying to dress around it is just wearing on me. So, I'm thinking of getting something smaller and lighter. Airweight j frame, or shield, etc.

So, I'm sure a bunch of you have been through this in hot summers. I see posts where people are wearing g19s, 1911s, etc in full summer in the south, but how? What's the secret or is it just complete will power and never going outside? :)

Oh, btw, I usually don't carry all day. When I'm at home or in the office I'll take it off. I can't stand having stuff on me when sitting around at work. I usually empty my pockets as well. So, I'm having to 'suit up' 3-4 times a day which is getting old. It's not bad in the cooler months, but in the heat of the summer, I'm just having a hard time dressing around this size of gun.

2. Remove Ads

It's been pretty hot here in Kansas this summer (upper 90s to 100s). I carry a G27, IWB, with an undershirt (tucked in to prevent rash from the handgrip) with just regular shorts and a t-shirt to cover. If I'm going into Kansas City, or the movie theater, I step it up and carry my Glock 30S (.45 ACP) with the same clothes. I don't have any problems. Sometimes it sucks having to wear an undershirt in the heat, but I know the one time I don't carry is when I'll need my gun. I don't dress around my gun, I just dress normal while carry a gun....no one is looking....trust me....and if they say something, I'll tell them to leave me alone or I'll call the police.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

I used to carry a G32 in the summer but it became a bit cumbersome in the heat so I picked up an XDS .45 with the thin profile it is extremely easy to conceal under just a t shirt so I would suggest either that or the shield because the size just makes it so easy to conceal and it isn't too heavy to boot. I use SHTF gear holsters and that makes them evrn more concealable.

Yeah, I've found that I have to gear an undershirt to avoid a rash which makes things hotter, and I've found that I print with t-shirts, polo shirts, etc. The only types of shirts that don't print on me are button downs with patterns and fishing shirts (and Hawaiian shirts, but I'm banned from wearing those!). I tried an n82 holster, but the padding is so big that it printed more than the gun! :)

I guess, are there folks that carry a medium sized gun without an under shirt? And, what holsters/etc do you use? Thanks for the advice so far!

Dressing around a gun is a part of carrying. There is only one solution if you don't want to do so: quit carrying. With some forethought, it's really not that hard to do.

My step down from my 101 is the LCR. Drop it in your pocket with a holster and you'll forget it's there. I've been pretty successful putting my G19 and SP101 at my 3.30 with a IWB rig. And I don't use an undershirt. Just a dark colored t shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaSig View Post
    Dressing around a gun is a part of carrying. There is only one solution if you don't want to do so: quit carrying. With some forethought, it's really not that hard to do.
    That's bad advice. Could get someone hurt.
    Harryball, maxwell97 and Darrow75 like this.

OD*
    Get ye some fishing shirts. Lightweight, vented in the rear, it's all I wear anymore.
    Fishing Shirts-Cabela's
    StormRhydr and Blue Thunder like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Width and weight to me are the two important things to me for comfortable summer IWB carry. There are a lot of great choices on the market now that are smaller and weigh less than your SP101. My guess is that any of the single stack polymer 9mm will make you forget you're carrying in the summer. If .380ACP pocket carry is an alternative, then a whole world of options opens up that are even more comfortable.

I may be in the minority, but I tend to carry the gun that fits the way I dress rather than the other way around.
    10thmtn likes this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

When I choose to conceal, I use the same pistols and OWB holsters (Alessi CQC-S or Ritchie equivalent) as I do when I OC, which is the norm.

With an untucked button down camp-style shirt my 1911's, full size Glocks or N-frame revolvers conceal just fine. I never wear an undershirt (too hot here in summer), pistol hardly touches my skin, no rash or discomfort.

I've recently been carrying my Springfield XDS .45, in it's own OWB snap holster (I no longer have a box of holsters after settling on these)....I can FINALLY carry OWB fully concealed with just a T-shirt!

Yeah, like what OD said about fishing shirts. I do something similar with similar shirts. Sort of like bruce willis in die hard 3. See the picture of him from that movie below. He was wearing a galco shoulder holster, mag pouches and some sort of full sized duty pistol, and it covered it pretty well.

I generally wear a high tech tee shirt, a loose shirt like Im describing, and a G 19 in a blade tech paddle holster. Youd think it would really show, but no one ever gives me a second glance.

See what Im talking about :
    Pictures & Photos from Die Hard: With a Vengeance - IMDb

VIP Member
    It's blistering hot and humid here in SC today. I'll be walking properties, so it's still jeans, boots, a machete and a G19 IWB under a dark polo shirt. I'll wipe the gun down with a silicon cloth when I get home tonight, and it'll be fine.

When I'm in the office, I'll wear shorts and a polo shirt. I can carry just about whatever I want in that config.

If I'm adamant about not dressing around a gun for the day, I'll drop the LCP in a pocket holster. It works with anything.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Work dress requirement, I don't work but I do carry a XD40SC year round and I wear Docker pants and Tommy Bahama shirts over a t-shirt and never a problem. The loose fitting shirts allow me to carry, in a good holster and belt, IWB or OWB. I struggled for years trying to find the perfect holster/belt, there are none IMO. I have found several that IMO allow me to carry with little or no discomfort, Galco King Tuk, Cross Breed Super Tuck for IWB and a Clament Custom for OWB. As in everything/anything that we do there is an opportunity cost, and IMO, I can disregard some discomfort to ensure my safety and my families safety. If you wear/carry it long enough it becomes unnoticeable, but does take some time. A good holster is only as good as the belt that you wear.
    LaundryGuy likes this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I have really got into pocket carry this summer. I love not having to pay as close of attention to my wardrobe choices but I love not having to wear a undershirt even more.
    StormRhydr and 10thmtn like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I have lived and carried in the Southwest Desert, deep South Florida, and here in Northwest Oregon. I carry a full size 1911 and a spare magazine on my belt plus a pocket BUG and spare magazine. Get a good lined leather holster with a sweat shield. I carry in the summer with shorts, sandals, and a polo shirt or bowling style (Charlie Sheen) shirt one size larger. If carry isn't important enough for some slight discomfort, then don't carry.

I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links