Why do you carry?

This is a discussion on Why do you carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm still new to the forum, and was wondering why you carry. As in are the factors in your daily environment that prompt it? My ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Why do you carry?

Why do you carry?

I'm still new to the forum, and was wondering why you carry. As in are the factors in your daily environment that prompt it?

My story. I have had a gun at home since I moved in almost nine years ago. My home, while in a subdivision, is secluded enough that I am hidden from the road as well as my neighbors. If anything went down it would be likely no one would know. I began carrying at home and on the property when a man moved in a few doors down who is known to carry, as well as enter others homes he thinks are empty. I now carry at the repair shop I work at after a near run in with a fugitive. He had hidden on the roof of our shop overnight and could have easily surprised me while I was working.

I know some carry strictly because trouble can pop up anywhere, and I'm at that point myself, but are there others out there that are exposed to situations on a daily basis that make it an even better idea?
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I carry because I care about the safety of my family and myself. Simple enough. I will not be intimidated by the predators in the world.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I carry because you never know when a BG will rear its ugly mug. In addition, it forces me to be more alert and its comforting peace of mind.
    BigHoles likes this.
    Semper Fi til I Die

Glock 29 10mm

To make the doctor wonder why I weigh 5 lbs heavier than I look...
    B_2keys and Darrow75 like this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    101 reasons why I carry! WHY not carry! Beats screamin
    NONAME762 likes this.

I carry because I don't want to be made a victim.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Protection of my life and the lives of my loved ones. I will not allow myself to be a victim, or victimized, while I'm still breathing.

Factors in daily life that prompt it? You could say that. The news is generally full of stories about situations in which predators believe they can take everything we have. Has been so, for decades. While not every town is like this, there are so many people around that hardly a day goes by without some violent miscreant believing it's a worthwhile endeavor to see whose lives he can make impossible. I respectfully refuse, no matter what it costs the BG, even if that kills him.

Been through a few situations, previously. Won't go through them again, if I'm able. Hence, my carrying everywhere.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I carry a gun for the same reason I carry a knife and train in martial arts. I refuse to die due to a lack of a way to defend myself. I may die a violent death, but I'll do so fighting.
    ccw9mm, 40Bob and tdave like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

To me, carrying a gun is like wearing a seat belt - you probably won't need it, but it can't hurt, and if you DO need it you'll be darned happy to have it on.
    NONAME762 and Yarg28 like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

You never know what's going to happen.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Because, I am responsible for my own protection, safety and well-being.
    Aceoky, 9MMare and ZOMBIEvs42 like this.

You hit it when you wrote "I know some carry strictly because trouble can pop up anywhere".

Like everyone else here - I don't know when that trouble might pop up. Hopefully never.
    ccw9mm and Aceoky like this.

I carry/own guns to keep bad people from hurting me and mine. That goes from gang bangers to tyrants and everything in between.

Nix
    I don't carry very often. I usually don't have a firearm with me. There are occasions when I have a specific concern and will carry, but in general, I live in a safe area (New Mexico, Colorado, Nebraska, Wyoming, and Montana--formerly the "Wild West"). I use common sense and situational awareness to stay out of trouble. There are too many restrictions on where I can carry for carrying to be worth the trouble. Maybe I should carry more often...just in case. If I lived in a major city, I'd be more likely to carry if I could.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links