Anyone in NC having to get their fingerprints redone for CC renewal?

This is a discussion on Anyone in NC having to get their fingerprints redone for CC renewal? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Applied for renewal of my CC permit about a month ago and received notice that my fingerprints (which were required and taken at original issue ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 2 Post By NC Bullseye

Thread: Anyone in NC having to get their fingerprints redone for CC renewal?

Anyone in NC having to get their fingerprints redone for CC renewal?

Applied for renewal of my CC permit about a month ago and received notice that my fingerprints (which were required and taken at original issue of the permit 5 years ago) "did not transfer or were rejected for renewal" and I had to show up again to have them redone. Is this just a one-off or have others in NC encountered this? (The fingerprint scanner was the same unit as before, so it was not like they just wanted the prints in a different dataformat)...

2. Remove Ads

Mine were done by a tech at the sheriff's department, it is on them to make sure that prints are clear when they do it. She cleaned the glass for each finger, and re-did a couple after looking at the image.

I'm sure they have done this many times, for both CHP apps, child care apps, and anything else that requires prints, to know what format prints need to be submitted in.

VIP Member
    Here in Wayne county fingerprints are not required for renewal. I am currently waiting on my third renewal.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    I prefer the way VA does it. Fingerprints for initial permit, none required for renewals.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Really don't understand this at all......Here in Forsyth County the fingerprint scanner tells the officer if he has an acceptable print or not for each impression...if not they just re-do it until the scanner accepts the image....in other words, they really can't get a bad print..the scanner will not let him process with out good scans...
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

That is actually how I understand it to work here in NC too (prints at initial permit, none for renewal) which is why I am curious why I had to be summoned back to do them again...especially after just having been downtown to apply for the renewal in person a month ago. I am assuming the ones they took 5 years ago were fine since I received my permit back then... and since the fingerprint scanner was the same system from 5 years ago, they either really "lost" them or some other bureaucratic boondoggle has taken hold of the system...

If I'm not mistaken, you have to be fingerprinted when you renew in Wake Co. Really seems wasteful. I applied for mine on June 4th and hope to be getting it soon.

For some reason, my wife's prints don't scan well and she has been printed multiple times. They have been rejected by the DOJ three times because the ridges on her fingers just aren't distinct enough.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by makehimknown View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, you have to be fingerprinted when you renew in Wake Co. Really seems wasteful. I applied for mine on June 4th and hope to be getting it soon.
    I'm on my second renewal in Wake Co. and have not been fingerprinted since the first time.

It's not common but it's also not unheard of for a set of digital prints being borderline acceptable. Sounds like your original set fell into this area. Don't sweat it, just get them retaken and you should be good to go. The only good thing about going computerized for things is the amazing amount of screw ups that can occur at the speed of light.

As per NC statute 14-415.16 item "d":

No fingerprints shall be required for a renewal permit if the applicant's fingerprints were submitted to the State Bureau of Investigation after June 30, 2001, on the Automated Fingerprint Information System (AFIS) as prescribed by the State Bureau of Investigation.
    So it's not a standard practice to re print for renewal but there are occasions that make it necessary.
    msgt/ret and maniakman like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Either they were borderline or someone on the computer messed up, either way I wouldn't sweat it. Just comply with what they need and get back to carrying :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR cuz robots are cooler than fruit.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Have renewed once. No repeat finger prints taken.

Finger print scanners. Wow. I was inked.
    (2Co 11:3 KJV) But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I prefer the way VA does it. Fingerprints for initial permit, none required for renewals.
    Only a few localities required fingerprints, and that was banned after 7/1/2012.

Legislature streamlines Virginia gun permit process - Washington DC gun rights | Examiner.com

Effective July 1, 2012, localities are prohibited under HB 754, patroned by Delegate Ben Cline (R – Amherst), from requiring CHP applicants to provide fingerprints. And under SB 563, patroned by Senator Frank Ruff (R – Clarksville), local circuit courts will be both prohibited from requesting “information or documentation other than that which is allowed on the application,” and required to issue permits "via United States mail."
    According to the State Police web site, they are still required for non-resident applications.

Links