Pulled over and carrying

This is a discussion on Pulled over and carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's the details: Va DL license Va Resident CCW Permit Legally carrying Both the Trailer and Truck are registered in a business name, its my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Pulled over and carrying

Pulled over and carrying

Here's the details:
    Va DL license
    Va Resident CCW Permit
    Legally carrying
    Both the Trailer and Truck are registered in a business name, its my understanding if the plate is run on your personal truck the officer will know you have a CCW permit, don't know if there's any truth to that or not.
    Va is a notify when asked state

Here's the story:
    I was headed North on I-295 just South of Richmond and was towing a friends car in my enclosed trailer. I was running along at 70mph in a 70 zone, 4 lanes wide - I was running in the 3rd lane from the right since the others were potholed real bad, about 7:30am with very light traffic.
    As I passed a Va State Trooper in the median he pulled out and dropped in behind me, I eased over into the 2nd lane, he pulled along side (noting my yearly trailer inspection was bad) and then dropped in behind me, I eased over to the slow lane. Once we cleared the guard rail he hit the lights and I responded with my right signal and dropped back to 60 mph trying to find a section on concrete shoulder that was wide enough for me to not chance picking up debris in the grass and ruin a tire.

Once I stopped I put the hazard lights on, rolled the window down, shut the engine off, and sat there with both hands on the wheel.
    He looked in and asked for my license and registration, and informed me he pulled me for expired inspection
    I replied with my DL is in my left rear pocket, and registration is in the center console
    He said ok
    I slowly removed my wallet and handed him my CCW permit on top of my DL, he looked at the CCW and then me, then asked if I had a weapon
    I replied with yes sir
    He asked where it was located
    I replied with on my right hip at 5:00
    He said ok
    I asked did he want the reg
    He replied no, then asked if the trailer was registered to a company
    I replied yes and the truck too
    He told me to keep my hands visible and returned to his car
    Once the paperwork was done, I signed the ticket, he explained the court/payment procedure, he seemed more relaxed and wished us a safe day.
    No mention of CCW or anything other than the reason for my stop.

My plan had been to volunteer the CCW permit if ever stopped, just to keep any surprise out of the conversation. I believe everything went well. I wanted to ask him if he felt that I had proceeded in a manner he would prefer, but we were sitting on the side of a 70mph highway and figured being safe was better than chatting it up there.
    shadowwalker likes this.
    Sig P290RS IWB- TT Gunleather Slim XC holster, Pocket- Wild Bills Concealment pocket holster
    Glock 19 IWB- TT GunLeather Slim IWB "Mikes Special", OWB- 5.11 Thumb Drive
    Lifetime NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Well handled stop by both parties. Hope the ticket is not too expensive.
    Aceoky likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Put this in the "NO" column of the "Does presenting your permit get you out of a ticket?" survey. Tell your boss he owes you one!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Since having a carry permit, I have been pulled over twice, never ticketed. I did as I was trained to do, and with my DL, handed them my CCP. Both times it rattled the cops. Each time I was asked where the weapon was, told essentially leave it where it was, and then allowed to proceed on my way.

VIP Member
    Sounds like the stop went as it should. I also present my permit if stopped, just my choice. Can't say for the rest of the LEO here in the Richmond area, but those I come into contact with (and that's quite a few) are fine with carrying. I OC 95% of the time and they never bat an eye about it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Well done, but it don't work up here like that. guess Alaska troopers just get tired of seeing everyone with a gun.

Success. Sounds like it went as it should. Getting back to what you said about them knowing if you have a CCW when they pull you over, I know that in my county, the Sheriff's Dept., (issuing agency) knows if you have a CCW and dispatch notifies the deputy. That only applies to the one agency and licenses issued in the same county. In other words, they wouldn't know if someone had a CCW, same state but different county when pulled over. The same applies if I were pulled over in a different county or by a different agency. They wouldn't know. So it pretty much goes without saying that it is definitely possible. Not sure how other counties work that, but that's the way mine goes.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    That approach probably would not work in Ohio, where the law says "must promptly inform".
    HAGJewels and JoJoGunn like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    I may be reading the first of these post wrong but it sounds like the best thing to do is to inform the officer , even if you don't have too . We don't have to inform in Maryland from my understanding but i don't want nothing to piss off the officer .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by sealteam20001 View Post
    Well done, but it don't work up here like that. guess Alaska troopers just get tired of seeing everyone with a gun.
    So how does it work there?

Oregon is not a must inform state. The dispatcher tells the officer if either or both of the registered vehicle owners have Concealed Handgun Licenses when they run the vehicle license plate. My wife has a scanner and hears it all of the time. When I have been stopped, the subject has never came up.
    Last edited by LimaCharlie; July 17th, 2013 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Spelling
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    Once,i went thru a license ck,and,once,i got pulled,for maybe running a tad bit over the speed limit,lol.I informed them both times,and,i had no problems,thankfully.
    I was with someone who got pulled,and i was carrying,but,since,i wasn't asked for an id, i kept my mouth shut.
    Dan060 likes this.

VIP Member
    Here is from the handgunlaw site regarding Michigan:
    "In one recent case, the driver handed his CPL over to the officer who stopped him. He did this because he had been told by a reliable source (an experienced police officer from another jurisdiction) that it is considered dangerous to use the word "gun" when talking to an officer on the road side since officers yell, "Gun!" to one another when a dangerous person displays a firearm. The driver was ticketed for the nondisclosure. In subsequent trial, the dashboard video camera record showed that it was approximately 40 seconds after the officer arrived at the driver's window that the driver verbally disclosed his concealed pistol.The court found that the simple act of handing over the CPL was not adequate disclosure and that the 40-second delay before verbally disclosing was not "immediate disclosure."
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/michigan.pdf
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by sealteam20001 View Post
    Out of any LE of any state, you would think that officers would be better off finding another profession if they're tired of seeing everyone with a gun. I somehow doubt that will go away and you would think that anyone putting in for a job as an Alaska ST would know how it is up there. IIRC, up there you're supposed to immediately inform of a firearm upon contact. I can certainly see though, them getting tired of people not following the law to inform.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Put this in the "NO" column of the "Does presenting your permit get you out of a ticket?" survey. Tell your boss he owes you one!
    Got pulled over once in a smallish town I'd never been to for doing 20 over (honestly didn't know it was only 35 because there were no signs and it seemed like a country highway). Had two cases of beer and my 20 year old girlfriend in the passenger side (DD home). Another cruiser came to the scene before he approached my truck. They asked why I was speeding and I handed him my license any my permit and said I'm not armed, and honestly didn't know the speed limit as I'd never driven that road before. Was polite, and drove away with a warning.

Still not sure if it was my demeanor, that they believed me, the huge Gadsden Flag on my back window or my permit, but either way, fine by me!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links