Shipping A Firearm

This is a discussion on Shipping A Firearm within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was going to send my HK P2000sk with a LaserLyte V2 mounted on the bottom rail to a company that manufactures holsters. They said ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Shipping A Firearm

Shipping A Firearm

I was going to send my HK P2000sk with a LaserLyte V2 mounted on the bottom rail to a company that manufactures holsters. They said they need the gun and laser to fit the holster which is fine. There have a licensed FFL license holder. Can I ship that firearm directly to them since they are a FFL license holder or do I have to have the gun shipped from a local FFL holder to them? I thought I could send it directly since they have the license. Does anyone know the answer? Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I believe (though I could be wrong) that you can ship directly to them provided that the firearm is not being sold/transferred/etc.
    Now it is 1984
    Knock-knock at your front door
    It's the suede/denim secret police
    They have come for your uncool niece

Yes, and they can ship directly back to you.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Too be sure ask the holster co. they should know.

All of the above is correct. You can ship any gun for work or repair by UPS or FEDEX as long as ownership change does not occur. You can not ship through Post Office. You must be a FFL holder to use USPS.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    It is usually cheaper to get an FFL to ship for you since they can ship USPS than sending it priority overnight from FedEx or UPS. Just have those doing the work ship it back directly to you.
    EDC - Ruger P90, SCCY CPX2, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I agree with the comments above, I did not think the shipper had to hold an FFL license and the receiver hold an FFL license. The reason I question it was the young lady at the holster company (White Hat) told me it had to be shipped both ways by and from a FFL license holders.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Problem solved ! Good luck

...an unlicensed individual may ship by common carrier any firearm to any FFL, no restriction on not being sold/transferred...unless the FFL is a licensed COLLECTOR...a friend in NH sent a pistol(transferred) to my local FFL, who logged it into his bound book then transferred(4473) it to me for a small fee...done commonly and entirely legal...pp178 (B3)

...ATF Pub. 5300.4 Revised Sept 2005(current) page 177 (B1); page 178 (B8)

...you may read this online:

http://www.atf.gov/files/publication...f-p-5300-4.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by SiVisPacem View Post
    I believe (though I could be wrong) that you can ship directly to them provided that the firearm is not being sold/transferred/etc.

...the only restriction on shipping to an FFL with ownership change is if they are a licensed collector...you can ship to any gun store with an FFL and transfer to them as a matter of routine business...when they receive it, they enter it into their bound book and may then transfer it to anyone who qualifies via 4473...
    Quote Originally Posted by 12 gauge View Post
    All of the above is correct. You can ship any gun for work or repair by UPS or FEDEX as long as ownership change does not occur. You can not ship through Post Office. You must be a FFL holder to use USPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    The reason I question it was the young lady at the holster company (White Hat) told me it had to be shipped both ways by and from a FFL license holders.
    I'm not sure that the responders are reading your entire post. Irregardless of the legalities, the company itself, White Hat in this case, may REQUIRE you to use a FFL holder to ship to them. There are a lot of licensees these days who will not accept a shipment from a non-licensee. This may have nothing to do with the legal side and everything to do with their business practice.

I would clarify with White Hat if you, a non-licensee, can ship your gun to them directly.
    Snub44 likes this.

...oh, we're reading all of his post, alright...and nothing in the OP would lead us to believe he was asking about company policy...

...but I didn't read all of his POSTS...but replied to his OP...and none of the other posters had been clairvoyant enough to anticipate his second post...so I guess we're doing OK...

Distinguished Member
    A friend showed me this about shipping, if they can ship their pants, maybe they can ship for you?!

Kmart's 'Ship My Pants' Commercial [HD] - YouTube
    Aceoky and southernwi like this.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Might be cheaper to offer to split the cost of a "blue gun" and ship him the laser, then to bear the cost of 2-way overnight shipping for a handgun.

Store BLUEGUN STORE
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links