Residence change in MO

This is a discussion on Residence change in MO within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know the CC law in Missouri states that if you change your permanent residence from one county to another you need to notify the ...

Thread: Residence change in MO

Residence change in MO

I know the CC law in Missouri states that if you change your permanent residence from one county to another you need to notify the new and old sheriff of the move, as well as the Missouri Department of Revenue. But what it doesn't elaborate on is how exactly to do that. I'm hoping someone from Missouri or a state with a similar law will chime in.

Do I just give the sheriff office a call and that's it? Or is there a form I need to sign?
    Do I need to visit the DMV to provide proof of residence or will just a call do?

2. Remove Ads

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I recently moved from Cole county to St Charles county. Ended up going to the sheriffs office and just got a new ID card. Cole county was
    easy to work with, but not St Charles. Ended up getting the new ID just so I knew it was legal. That's not how the law reads, but that's what I ended up doing.

St. Charles county sheriff was a pleasure to deal with... Granted, I went to college with the window attendants son...

Be nice to them & they will help you every step of the way...

My suggestion, call the sheriffs non-emergency number and ask for the firearms division. Explain that you are seeking guidance and elaborate on your situation being sure to state "I want to be sure I comply with the law to the fullest." They will likely point you in the right direction. Then you can come here and post the result so I will know when I move... ;)
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I'm going to call tomorrow morning and see if I need to come into the office in person to present my proof of residence or if it can faxed, mailed, etc.

I posted the thread because usually government websites are pretty specific about procedures, but for this they state the bare minimum. The actual law document was very helpful. The CCW information on the DOR website simply stated that I must notify sheriff and DOR within 30 days and didn't elaborate anymore than that. I would pretty silly walking into the sheriff department trying to notify somebody when all I needed was a phone call or the other way around.

Well I called the sheriff department of my new county and got it taken care of. All I had to do was speak to the person at the department that handles CCW. They called my old sheriffs office for me to get all the records transferred. After they got all the information she said I was good to go, no need to call the DOR. She said if I wanted to change my address on my permit I had to come in and fill out a new application and take it to the DOR, but that is optional.

I'm not going to trust her on the DOR part though. I am going to call and make sure they get the information changed and that at least I can say I notified the DOR and sheriffs offices. Just to be safe. Apparently the only time they need to see the proof of address is if you went to actually change it on your permit card at the DOR. I asked her specifically if I needed to change it on the card and get a new one and she said no since I just got the permit. But from the DOR website it says it's optional no matter how long ago you got the permit. She kinda said it like she was doing me a favor by not making me get a new permit card, which was odd considering the actual law.

Links