A week without my pistol.

This is a discussion on A week without my pistol. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just like the title reads, I am without my pistol for a week: I am on vacation, from CT to Florida, about an hour and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: A week without my pistol.

Just like the title reads, I am without my pistol for a week: I am on vacation, from CT to Florida, about an hour and a half from Tampa. CT does not share reciprocity with Florida, so its in the safe at home.
    Truth be told, I've only been carrying on a daily basis for 7 or 8 months, but even so, I'm uncomfortable without my pistol. My wife also said something to the same effect. I guess this week will have to serve as my wake-up call to work on getting licensed to carry in more States, perhaps someone might read this and decide to do the same. I hope so!

This is a beautiful place, by the way,
    Floridians should be proud! :):thumbup:

Respectfully,
    Sam

Sent from my XT907
    Take the long way home...

Next month I am going to Virginia Beach for 3.5 days flying there. I will be without my trusted firearms as well. I have only on a couple occasions this year left home without being armed or access to my firearm in car gunsafe if at work. It leaves me with an uneasy feeling tbh. But I guess for the vacation I am willing to roll the dice for a few days.

Well, if you can't carry, you might as well have a drink or ten.

(Wisconsin logic)
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

I spent last week without mine in FL also, I do have a license that covers FL but I was staying at Disney and they have a secret army under the park so I felt pretty safe, lol.
    Funny how I am now planning vacations around where I can bring my handgun :-)
    Last edited by Roninart; July 19th, 2013 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
    NewtownSam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    Well, if you can't carry, you might as well have a drink or ten.

(Wisconsin logic)
    Go during Happy Hour and cop your buzz for half the moola.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Count me in as of tomorrow. SC was not able to renew my CCW in the 90 day window (I applied,exactly at 90"days) so I will,be without for awhile. They predict 4to6 weeks. My CCW expired 30 minutes ago

Quote Originally Posted by BigPony View Post
    Next month I am going to Virginia Beach for 3.5 days flying there. I will be without my trusted firearms as well. I have only on a couple occasions this year left home without being armed or access to my firearm in car gunsafe if at work. It leaves me with an uneasy feeling tbh. But I guess for the vacation I am willing to roll the dice for a few days.
    VA is a "Gold Star" open carry state just FYI. No license needed for OC there.

I've heard VA Beach cops can be turkeys about it though.

Some parts of Florida are safe enough to risk it. I imagine they take policing seriously around the tourist traps; can't have too many folks getting picked off before they spend their money.

This does make me think that I need to spend some time learning unarmed defense, though. And probably get in better shape - the "fall on him" technique is not very effective against multiple attackers.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

Captain Bellamy

Get up to speed on your unarmed combatives, your less lethal weapons, and your impact and edged weapon skills.

The DVDs Forever Armed and Minimum Damage, Maximum Effect are good ways to get started.

Improvised Weapons | Home Gun Training

Getting Started With Pepper Spray | Home Gun Training

Quote Originally Posted by Strmwatch View Post
    VA is a "Gold Star" open carry state just FYI. No license needed for OC there.

I've heard VA Beach cops can be turkeys about it though.
    It's not uncommon to see people OCing here in Va Beach. I don't have my concealed permit yet, (day 35 of a max 45). I occasionally open carry and have never had a problem. I haven't carried at the oceanfront, I try to stay away in the summer, but hear that others open carry up and down the boardwalk with no problem.

VIP Member
    A week without a gun is a week without sunshine .
    perfection likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbaldguy View Post
    Count me in as of tomorrow. SC was not able to renew my CCW in the 90 day window (I applied,exactly at 90"days) so I will,be without for awhile. They predict 4to6 weeks. My CCW expired 30 minutes ago
    Four days ago for me. Four to six weeks ? All I got from SLED was " it's taking the full 90 days". Well DUH !

Can still have "it" in the vehicle glove box / console legally.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

VIP Member
    Just keep in mind a gun is only 1 piece of the formula. A good lock back knife, OC spray, and most of all SA are others. Ramp up your SA and have a good time.
    perfection likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

As a regular tourist or if you're visiting friends you won't have any problem. Just stay away from the kind of places you'd normally would. My one piece of advise is not to engage in or return in-kind any type of aggressive driving. It isn't unheard of for shots to be fired.

Every state has its pros and cons but I sure like Florida.

Enjoy your stay.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Just keep in mind a gun is only 1 piece of the formula. A good lock back knife, OC spray, and most of all SA are others. Ramp up your SA and have a good time.
    How do you 'ramp up your SA'? Seriously, I'm interested, curious and appreciative.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links