Just got back from Indiana

This is a discussion on Just got back from Indiana within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, we just got back, last night at about 10pm, from the best darn state in the Union, the great state of Indiana. My boyhood ...

Thread: Just got back from Indiana

Well, we just got back, last night at about 10pm, from the best darn state in the Union, the great state of Indiana. My boyhood home is still as beautiful as ever and the freedom is still as sweet. My God how I want to move back there. I like it here in Tennessee but I like it much better in Indiana.

We had a great time there with the family and the deafening quiet of the country where my parents still live (where I grew up) is amazing after living near Memphis TN for over a year. The darkness of the woods, the amount of stars that you forget are up there when you live near a big city, all of it added up to a wonderful time.

I carried the XD .40sc the whole time. I even rode along with my Dad on his job. He is retired but had to find something to do so he wouldn't die of boredom. He is a bank courier. He drives a route and delivers canceled checks and teller documents from branches to a central location. Dad carries too. He has a S&W .357 revolver that he carries.
    In fact, most of the members of my family carry. Indiana is a cool state.

I saw the Chief of Police of my small home town. I went to high school with him. He is Chief of a force of 6 full time and 4 reserve officers. They just got a new patrol car of which they are very proud. It is set up for the one K-9 officer.

Now, the bad experience. On the way back home to TN, we traveled down I-65 South through Kentucky and to Nashville where we hit I-40 over to our home near Memphis.
    While in Kentucky, just North of Bowling Green KY, we stopped for gas and bathroom breaks. When I was about to enter the gas station I saw the dreaded no carry sign. I have attached a picture of the sign that I snapped with my cell phone.

I stopped everyone and told them to get back in the mini van. Before we went to the station across the road, I put my gun in the van with my wife and went inside and asked to see the manager. When he came out I pointed to the van with my family inside and explained that we had been driving from central Indiana and we were stopping for gas for the first time. I said the van was almost on empty and as a result, it would take about $50 to fill it up. Further, everyone in it, me, the wife and all 5 of the kids were thirsty and wanted sodas, that would be a further $12 to $15 dollars. And at least a few had expressed an interest in chips or other snaks possibly taking the total to around $80.

He said he would be happy to help us with that.

Then I pointed to the sign on the door and told him that as a result of his establishment not welcoming me because I choose to excercise my second amendment rights, that I would be spending my money somewhere else. I just wanted to let them know why.

He told me it was not his choice to put the sign there and that I was not the first to complain. He said he understood and would pass the message along to the owner.

I wished him a Merry Christmas and we went across the street and spent $83. Then we went on our way home.

I didn't expect to encounter such a sign in Kentucky. I was a littl shocked.

Incase anyone was wondering, the name of the business was the Smiths Grove Grocery at 605 E. Main Street in Smiths Grove Kentucky.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by TN_Mike; November 26th, 2006 at 02:15 PM. Reason: added info
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

PT-111...

Well done...perhaps if more people used your friendly informational approach, there would be fewer signs...
    Signs...they just don't get it...

Hey PT-111...how's the weight after TurkeyDay?

Take care...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    You do realize that here in Indiana such signs carry no weight. Leastwise, I can't find anything in the law books about it, and I don't see any signs except for one on a local auto shop that has

NO FIRARMS ALLOWED
    except for law enforcement and those legally licensed to carry a handgun (very small print)

A friend and I stood outside for about five minutes the first time we went there, incredulous. We then broke out laughing after retrieving our CCWs from the not-very-secure CJ5 in which we had left them "locked" in the center console.

The picture you posted says concealed deadly weapons. Are you not allowed to circumvent that in KY by removing your jacket or whatnot and making it unconcealed?

If I may ask... where in Indiana were you? I like the rolling hills of Southern Indiana well enough, but the flat prairie of Northern Indiana hold the most appeal for me. I can see further than most handguns will shoot around here.

When the fields were resting and we were sure they were clear, we would stand in back of my family's old defunct farm (other jobs, you know) and test the ranges of various shotgun slugs and .22 ammo. We'd get a very satisfying puff of dirt that would kick up, about a mile out.*

*This was a particularly big field, at least two miles square, and we had permission from the farmer to shoot in it provided we take out any vermin we saw.

Josh <><

VIP Member
    very nice job. I'm new to carrying and have yet to run into the situation. Correct me if i'm wrong, but i do believe in Ky that if caught with the weapon , the most they can do is ask you to leave. But, I would choose not to do business there anyway. You did what we all should do.

We went to my home town of Cloverdale Indiana. It is in Central West Indiana, about 45 miles West of Indianapolis in Putnam County.

I was surprised to find that many of the homes that have been built in the 22 years since I left to go into the Navy and make my own way in the world are now vacant and for sale. My Dad explaines it to me when I asked him about.
    Most of the homes were built by folks who were escaping the urban life of Indianapolis and its surrounding suburbs. But, when the gas prices shot up a year or two ago, he said he started noticing more and more of the houses going on the market. Most of those folks decided that they couldn't afford to live out there in the country and pay that much for gas so they moved back to the city. Now, a large percentage of the newer homes built in my home town in the last decade or so have gone vacant and sit with weathered for sale signs in the yards. It's a littl sad.

Cetral Indiana has flat areas and rolling hills in others. It has a nice mix. It is a beautiful place.

I do not know what if any authority the sign I saw holds in KY. But, I would not want to give anyone who posts such a sign any of my hard earned money. It is just that simple.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    My mother's side is predominately in Indianapolis. I don't get there as much as I should. I grew up on Pappas Dr and that was enough for me. We moved out of there when I was 10 and Dad got his engineering degree. I agree, very nice land once you leave the city though.

In Wabash City the housing is much the same as you describe. I figure it's a buyer's market for them and regret somewhat that I am back in college and therefore cannot afford one yet.

Though they're wanting to sell it, my parents still have the house in the woods. Dad's a GM engineer (dual BS degrees) and my mother is a speech clinician (master's degree). There's not much factory work here right now but if you have a specialized degree they'll take you. As well, most police forces I know of are hiring. All pay well.

The jobs are here, and Rural Indiana's still very affordable, if you have the training.

Josh <><

PT-111

Glad you had a safe trip to and from. Indiana is indeed a great state in which to carry. Good call on returning thru Kentucky instead of travelling thru the Peoples Republic of Illinois.

I've never been to Cloverdale, but hope to make it next summer. There is a huge traditional archery get-together there every June. It happens on Fathers day weekend and usually can't make it because of that.

Way to say it right! I will try and do the same thing. I always went to a different place to do business. I never thought of telling the "manager" the reason why I am going elsewhere. Way to go!

My dad had some business cards that said something like "no guns, no business!" and it had a little message on the back similar to these https://www.ohioccw.org/catalog/prod...roducts_id=111 that i found.
    XD SC 9mm
    S&W 340pd

Minnesota Gun Talk

"A thing long expected takes the form of the unexpected when at last it comes." Mark Twain

Those signs don't mean anything in KY PT111. The only thing a business owner can do is ask you to leave if they actually figure out that you're carrying. Normally I try and avoid such places to not give them money, but if I have to go in one, I don't worry about it too much.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

We got back to Tx from Indianapolis Saturday night...we came 65 to 40 thru Ky and Tenn...never saw a no guns sign the whole trip...even at the RCA dome in Indianapolis.
    "Take what you have with what you are, make something of it, and never be satisfied." G.W. Carver

Glad you had a nice and safe trip. Other than in ky. I think its great how you handled it. Id feel the same way.

Sixgun

Quote Originally Posted by glockmav View Post
    We got back to Tx from Indianapolis Saturday night...we came 65 to 40 thru Ky and Tenn...never saw a no guns sign the whole trip...even at the RCA dome in Indianapolis.
    Sounds like the route you took from Indy to Memphis was the exact same route we took home from Indy.
    If you went down I-65 to Nashville to I-40, then as you got close to Memphis you passed right by our home. We live in Arlington TN. Exit 25 on I-40.

Hope your trip was as good as ours.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

It was great, thanks. Our daughter moved to Indy this year and this was our first trip to see her. It was a pretty quick trip...next time we hope to stop along the way and see the sights. This was the first long trip that I've carried my handgun on me all the time. We purposely avoided going through Illinois so I wouldn't have to get "undressed".
    "Take what you have with what you are, make something of it, and never be satisfied." G.W. Carver

Thanks for the warning. We travel from IN to GA a few times a year to visit the in-laws and follw the I-65 route through KY. I'll try to remember one gas staition to avoid along the way.

Cloverdale!
    You are from nearby. I live in SW Hendricks county. Made quite a few mad dashes to the Allis Chalmers dealer in Cloverdale for combine parts during harvest season in my youth.
    I still pass through there on my way to my gun club's range in Freedom, just past Spencer.

So, about TN-
    How are things (carry-wise) on a state level? My wife and I have talked about moving to TN to be closer to her family...sorta splitting the distance between mine and hers. We would probably go somewhere central or just east of central, somewhere from Nashville to Knoxville.

I wouldn't expect it to be quite as carry friendly as here, but a lot better than the seven years I spent in Chicago. Whew.

Sponsored Links