Moving states - Multiple Concealed carry permits

This is a discussion on Moving states - Multiple Concealed carry permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all - was hoping someone might be able to clear something up for me. Currently I live in Michigan and hold a MI CPL. ...

Thread: Moving states - Multiple Concealed carry permits

Hi all - was hoping someone might be able to clear something up for me. Currently I live in Michigan and hold a MI CPL. In the coming weeks I'll be relocating to Indiana - at some point I'll be applying for a license there (if I understand correctly, they have a single license that covers all carry types.. yes/no?). Once I'm an Indiana resident, is my Michigan CPL still valid for carrying in Michigan? If so, does it still allow me to conceal in states with reciprocity with Michigan as well, or does that only apply if I'm a Michigan resident?

Thanks for the help!

VIP Member
    You are going to need to check your state laws to be sure. In most states that I'm aware of, a resident permit becomes invalid when you cease being a resident of that state. So while technically Michigan may not know you've moved, you won't have a valid ID showing that you live there and you will have a valid ID showing that you live somewhere else.

The bottom line is before you do any carrying on any license, you need to find the laws yourself and figure them out. Anyone who gives you any answers is risking a lot less than you are, if they are wrong, so don't take anyone's word about what is and is not legal... However if you are going to, err to the side of caution because a weapons charge in any state could end your carrying days for good.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I would recommend checking with both the IN and MI web sites regarding CHL changes of address and residency, so that you know the specific requirements of making the change. In some states, the instant you move it's null and void. In other states, there's a clear "grace" period during which you have sufficient time to make the transition to the new CHL. Depends on the states in question.

At worst, all it'll take is a quick call to the issuing authority in each state (ie, your county sheriff's office, if that's who's responsible for issuance of CHL's). They should know.

For a start on checking into the reciprocity differences, see Handgunlaw.us. While no assurance that it will be a 100% match to the current states' lists, it's a pretty good place to start. From there, you can dive into each state's specific statutes, at the appropriate state-based web site for those statutes.

Good luck with the move. Hopefully everything will go smoothly.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I would ask in Indiana. My Nephew had a Ohio license, moved to Florida. Once he officially changed residents and got a new Driver License his Ohio CCWL was no good. He asked a State Trooper at the Driver License Office and found it was a easy to get a new CCWL. Sort of a transfer. I think it was pretty easy.

VIP Member
    First off, Welcome to the forum.

As to your question. From what I have found, Michigan does not issue a non-resident permit. Once you become a Indiana resident, I would assume your MI permit would no longer be valid. The issuing authority should be able to answer your question best. If they say it is still valid, have them put it in writing and carry it with you as well as your permit.

IANAL so take it for what it is worth.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Welcome to the site from Maryland , Check and double check the facts.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Read the MI CPL instructions. Upon request, you are required to show LE both your CPL and MI DL or ID.

When you apply for your Indiana DL, states generally ask about ID's in other states and invalidate the old ID. At least that's how it worked when I moved to CO, TX, and back to MI.

When you become a IN resident, your MI CCW permit becomes void.
    The good news, however, is that your IN permit is quick and easy to get...just a little paperwork, and...you can get it for life.
    My son moved from MI to IN...if you now have a MI license, IN will set you up quickly.

From the IN State Police...
    http://www.in.gov/isp/2828.htm
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Seeing that Michigan doesn't have a Non-resident CCW and Indiana does, your best bet would be to expedite your Indiana CCW, once you re-locate. Michigan has reciprocity with Indiana.

Sponsored Links