South Carolina CWP Renewals. New Information from SLED.

This is a discussion on South Carolina CWP Renewals. New Information from SLED. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've recently been on a rant regarding the amount of time it takes SC to process CWP renewals. I submitted my renewal 9 weeks ago ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: South Carolina CWP Renewals. New Information from SLED.

South Carolina CWP Renewals. New Information from SLED.

I've recently been on a rant regarding the amount of time it takes SC to process CWP renewals. I submitted my renewal 9 weeks ago and haven't heard a thing. My permit expired July 6th, this year, which left me without a valid permit. One would certainly think two months would be plenty of time to process electronic renewals. In my rant, I sent letters to the chief and assistant chief of SLED. Also, sent letters to my state senator, house representative, and governor. Today, I received a reply to one of my letters.

Here's the updated info. I received a call from Major Weir, (803-608-9107), South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED). He stated he's in charge of the CWP issuing/renewal processes. They are extremely busy and have had numerous computer problems, and to help alleviate the bottle necks, the state legislature recently passed a law stating; if a current CWP holder's permit expires while awaiting completion of the renewal process, the expired holder's permit will be considered valid as long as the permit holder has a renewal receipt in possession with their expired permit. In other words, if you carry your renewal receipt with your expired permit, you'll be legal.

Hope this helps for all of you in the same renewal boat I'm in. Jim.
    Sister, WHEC724, Aceoky and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

I wish I would have known this. I was in the same boat, mine expired July 6th as well. I sent mine in 90 days before and it just showed up today!
    Kimber Ultra Carry II Stainless- Springfield XD-S- Ruger LCP

Would you happen to know where I can find this new law the major refers to? I can't find it in Title 16 or Title 23, and it doesn't turn up on a search.

Thanks!

John W in SC

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    Back in March,i lost mine.I couldn't get mine, renewed again,because,it doesn't expire until the end of Nov,and,obviously,you can only do that 90 days ahead of time.

SLED sent my replacement in under 3 weeks.I realize,it's just a replacement,but,i'm kinda surprised,they don't do checks again.I've never lost my before,so i didn't know,how long it would be.It would be nice,if i could get my renewal back that fast,but,i know better.

Quote Originally Posted by John_W_in_SC View Post
    Would you happen to know where I can find this new law the major refers to? I can't find it in Title 16 or Title 23, and it doesn't turn up on a search.

Thanks!

John W in SC
    John. I'm sorry, I did not get the number the Major was referring to (guess I should have). All I can suggest is give him a call. His number is in my post. Jim.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    " In other words, if you carry your renewal receipt with your expired permit, you'll be legal"

As it should be. Many states are having the same problem keeping up with demand, and it's only fair that a previously approved permit holder should not be penalized for the state's inability to perform its duty in a timely manner.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    " In other words, if you carry your renewal receipt with your expired permit, you'll be legal"

As it should be. Many states are having the same problem keeping up with demand, and it's only fair that a previously approved permit holder should not be penalized for the state's inability to perform its duty in a timely manner.
    No disrespect to our friends in law enforcement, but I'd be a whole lot more comfortable with a copy of the law in my pocket to show the officer, along with the expired permit and renewal receipt.

John W in SC
    Bullet1234 likes this.

SC Law Provision

OK, here is what I have found. It is hidden away in H. 3710, the SC 2013-2014 General Appropriations bill. You can find the bill at 2013-2014 Bill H.3710, Budget for FY 2013-2014 - Part 1B - As Ratified - South Carolina Legislature Online. Scroll down to Section 62.22. I'll paste it in below. It might be an idea to print it out so you can show it to an officer if the need arises. You should also carry your expired permit along with proof you submitted for renewal.

John W in SC

South Carolina General Assembly
    120th Session, 2013-2014
    H. 3710
General Appropriations Bill for fiscal year 2013-2014
As Ratified by the General Assembly

PART IB

OPERATION OF STATE GOVERNMENT

SECTION 62 - D10-STATE LAW ENFORCEMENT DIVISION

62.22. (SLED: CWP Renewal and Replacement) A concealed weapons permit may not be suspended by a state official, agent, or employee supported by state funds if the permit holder has initiated a renewal or replacement application and the processing and issuance of a renewal or replacement permit is delayed for administrative reasons. A concealed weapons permit remains valid during the pendency of the renewal or replacement process so long as the application for replacement renewal is submitted prior to the expiration of the permit.

VIP Member
    His phone call to you is all fine and dandy, but without something in writing to back it up, I wouldn't carry. There are 2 reasons for this. One is that just because he knows it, doesn't mean it has filtered down to LE agencies throughout the state, and second, what's to stop him from denying he said it if your without a valid permit and involved in an incident?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by John_W_in_SC View Post
    OK, here is what I have found. It is hidden away in H. 3710, the SC 2013-2014 General Appropriations bill. You can find the bill at 2013-2014 Bill H.3710, Budget for FY 2013-2014 - Part 1B - As Ratified - South Carolina Legislature Online. Scroll down to Section 62.22. I'll paste it in below. It might be an idea to print it out so you can show it to an officer if the need arises. You should also carry your expired permit along with proof you submitted for renewal.

John W in SC

South Carolina General Assembly
    120th Session, 2013-2014
    H. 3710
General Appropriations Bill for fiscal year 2013-2014
As Ratified by the General Assembly

PART IB

OPERATION OF STATE GOVERNMENT

SECTION 62 - D10-STATE LAW ENFORCEMENT DIVISION

62.22. (SLED: CWP Renewal and Replacement) A concealed weapons permit may not be suspended by a state official, agent, or employee supported by state funds if the permit holder has initiated a renewal or replacement application and the processing and issuance of a renewal or replacement permit is delayed for administrative reasons. A concealed weapons permit remains valid during the pendency of the renewal or replacement process so long as the application for replacement renewal is submitted prior to the expiration of the permit.
    John, thanks for doing the digging here. I looked and looked and couldn't find it. I didn't think Weir would blow smoke, but one never knows. As an aside, I also received an e-mail from Senator Bryant telling me the same thing, but it doesn't appear that this info has been disseminated to the public. Thanks again, Jim.

Last night on the SC news there was a story on the HUGE backup with SLED concerning permits. If you renew on line you stand a good chance. New permits and changes take more than the 90 days projected.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I sent my renweal in online back at the end of January and received it in less than 60 days. I must have gotten in before the rush.

I am surprised that the legilsature was able to get that bill through so quickly. We should include all guns rights bills in general appropriation bills.
    jim282 likes this.

I also submitted my renewal 90 days early online. When it ran out a week ago I called SLED and was also told,about the new regulation, BUT cautioned that it was likely localLEOs would not be aware and this may cause a temporary problem. Thought about it a lot and am on vacation without my carry gun. Wish it was here. Wish they could get their collective acts together

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    As long as we have the provision in writing so far as the renewel,it's good enough for me.I saw the news.It said they were given $820,000,to figure out how to speed up the CCP applications and renewels.I guess we will see if that helps any.
    Dan060 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    Hopefully,it will get better.I have another year to go.They wanted to raise the fee to 75.00 and make CCP'S good for 5 yrs.For whatever reasons,it didn't pass.Free CCP would be nice,but it would be ok to me to add another year to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links