Should I chance it?

Should I chance it?

This is a discussion on Should I chance it? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My SC CCW ran out today. I applied 90 days early as per regulations. Talked to rep from SLED today. She said that it had ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Should I chance it?

Should I chance it?

My SC CCW ran out today. I applied 90 days early as per regulations. Talked to rep from SLED today. She said that it had recently been approved to continue to allow carry until new license is sent, because SLED is behind,BUT many LEOs do not yet know this. What do you think? Is it worth the hassle if LEO doesn't know this new law,and thinks I'm carrying on an expired license.
    Brent95 likes this.

VIP Member
    I'm not sure i would take the chance with a phone ok . They would have to fax or email a letter to give a grace period but by that time you think they could sent your permit . IANAL
    OldVet likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

I would

If you are legal, I sure would. If SC is a "must inform" state (which I believe you are), I would carry a copy of the law that says that you can carry once you are approved, even if you do not have your permit in your possession.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Oldbaldguy,someone from S.C. had the same problem.I saw this thread earlier.It may be of some help.

South Carolina CWP Renewals. New Information from SLED.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbaldguy View Post
    My SC CCW ran out today. I applied 90 days early as per regulations. Talked to rep from SLED today. She said that it had recently been approved to continue to allow carry until new license is sent, because SLED is behind,BUT many LEOs do not yet know this. What do you think? Is it worth the hassle if LEO doesn't know this new law,and thinks I'm carrying on an expired license.

If your state statutes require you to have actual in-force evidence on you, if requested to prove your CHL, then you might well have troubles if stopped and asked.

If, however, SLED assures you the statutes simply require an in-force CHL, and LE does the look-up, and there's no statute requiring you to lawfully have the in-force CHL with you, then you might chance it.

SLED might be able to fax something to you, as confirmation, if it's going to be days or weeks before it arrives. But, if they're behind anyway ...

I would just await arrival of the mail, myself.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Yep I would.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I'm sending in my renewal in about the end of Aug.It expires Nov 30th.If SLED hasn't sent mine back in time,i will make sure,to keep my receipt,from money order,and gonna carry on.

I can't remember how long it took,to get mine renewed in 2009,but,it came back in time.I guess,SLED is jammed up.
    Brent95 likes this.

Just do this..."...if a current (SC) CWP holder's permit expires while awaiting completion of the renewal process, the expired holder's permit will be considered valid as long as the permit holder has a renewal receipt in possession with their expired permit. In other words, if you carry your renewal receipt with your expired permit, you'll be legal."
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbaldguy View Post
    One word. NO........
    Always Fight Crime - Shoot back until it stops.
    NRA member and supporter.
    A Gun without Ammo is called a door stop.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    I had mine renewed in 2010,so,i'm good for a little bit.When i renewed back then,it came back,before it expired.

That said,if it's still like that,the next time,and mine expires,before,i get my new one back,i will keep my receipt,and i'm going to carry mine.

Nix
    Do you have money for a good lawyer?

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I can't tell you what I would do, but I know what I would do.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

M&Pgirl,if you happen to see this,how long did it take to get just a replacement for ccp?My Dad lost his.
    Manderinobyebye likes this.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    Brent,i posted on the thread,you pasted here.Obviously,they don't do background cks.,on replacements,cause it was less than 3 weeks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links