Has anyone else tried VersaCarry?

This is a discussion on Has anyone else tried VersaCarry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone else tried Versa Carry? I wanted to comment on a new holster I found, in case anyone else is as hesitant as I ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By USMC55
  • 1 Post By RightsEroding
  • 1 Post By SCfromNY
  • 1 Post By Nmuskier
  • 2 Post By 10thmtn

Thread: Has anyone else tried VersaCarry?

Has anyone else tried Versa Carry?

I wanted to comment on a new holster I found, in case anyone else is as hesitant as I was.

I was a Police Office in MO for over 30 years, and have used a variety of holsters for off duty. I like different ones, for different reasons, and some brands for some guns. Now, though, I found the most unique I have ever seen!

In case you haven't seen it, it has stem to go into the barrel, and clips on your belt, and is worn inside the pants. I have now bought one for my XDs 45, and 9mm, and for my .38 snub nose (my wife took over that one, unfortunately!).

When the weather is this hot, and I don't want to wear a lot of bulk, this is really easy to slip in, and not be noticed.

I have tried a lot of different concealed carry holsters and Versacarry is my choice.
    Aceoky likes this.

From their website it looks scary... POST SOME PICS PLEASE, I'm curious.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    I had 2 of them. Both stems broke.
    Additionally; it is almost impossible to re-holster w/o removing it..so practicing with it is out of the question IMO.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

I have two. They're about as minimal as you can get, but I'm not sure I like having nothing between me and the gun. I think they're good for what they are and better than just a clip but aren't my first choice.

Disclaimer: part of my opinion is tainted by their bad customer service. I ordered one, liked it enough, and ordered another for a different gun. They decided to substitute a different size for my second order which didn't work for a smaller gun, and when I asked about exchanging it I was told to send it back (at my expense) and buy another one, after which I should call and get a credit. Not gonna happen.

They don't recommend carrying with a round chambered... I didn't read the entire package prior to purchasing. I prefer the clip draw for that scenario.

ETA: I carry with one in the pipe, always. I prefer the clip draw for carrying without a holster. Clipdraw and a kydex trigger cover, looks, and feels safer, and more stable than the Versacarry.
    Something witty

I can not picture feeling very secure with this holster. I have a speed / competition holster that you just stick the barrel in a plug and click to a top cradle. This holster is very expensive yet I would not consider ever using this type for EDC.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    I would not want to have experience with this system. I do not see adequate trigger protection. Two layers of leather is not very thick. Two layers of Kydex is even thinner. Both are safe. Stay away from clips and other gimmicks, and get a real holster.
    TN_Mike likes this.

I'll be the lone positive feedback. There is no doubt these are not for every body type and every style gun. However, I recently carried my Bersa 380 CC with the VersaCarry for a week while in Florida, and I was happy with the feel and the minimalist nature of the whole package. I don't sweat much and maybe that is one reason it worked for me. Also, the Bersa 380 CC double action first pull is quite heavy. I also am very quick with my thumb at disengaging the hammer safety - which I leave on. Relative to safety the issue, I would never hesitate to have one in the chamber when using a Bersa 380 with hammer down and thumb safety on. I carry that way no matter what holster I am using.

So, with all those variables in mind, I really like the VersaCarry. It made my 18 oz carry gun feel much lighter and way less bulky than any other method I use to carry it. With shorts it was the most convenient. A complete no print setup. To make sure I cover all bases, it may not work for you. It make not work for your no-external-safety Glock, it may not work for your body style it may not work for you if you don't like the looks. It worked very well for me. When I carry around the house, I usually choose my VersaCarry and my Bersa 380 as they make a great, safe, round in the chamber combination. I've spent hundreds on IWB and OWB holsters from low cost to high cost from nylon to the finest most highly rated makers. In a variety of conditions, I just find the VersaCarry the least bulky, most convenient to use with certain firearms. It is not the only holster I use, but it is one I use often.

But I get why some would not want to use it.

Hmmm...first post here, and it's a commercial. Seems fishy to me.
    TN_Mike and squid86 like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Usual carry - Ruger SP101 .357 DAO snub + LCR .38

Not a safe way to carry IMO.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I'm not holding myself up as any kind of big time expert but I have been carrying for almost 25 years now. To me, it does not look like a safe way to carry, for me or the gun. My hybrid holsters don't have enough bulk between the gun and me to make concealing hard at all and they carry the gun securely and with their full leather back and double belt clips that distribute the weight and bulk of the gun over a much wider area than this rig can, thus, the pants do not sag. Plus, this thing may have a bit of plastic that covers the trigger guard on the outside but there's nothing on the inside that might keep something from actuating the trigger while you are trying to shove the whole rig into your pants with a loaded gun attached to it! No thank you.

For the gun, again, there's nothing between you and the gun. So you are sweating all over the finish of your gun. Hello rust. As for comfort, I am HIGHLY skeptical. Again, I reference my hybrid holsters. Full leather back, a smooth surface that my skin touches, not a hard somewhat angular hunk of metal with sharp controls (side stop, mag release etc...) pushed into my skin. Again, no thank you.

So, if it works for you, congrats. But as for me, I wouldn't trust this thing at all.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

They're supposed to have a lifetime warrenty. I'd send it back.

I am an actual real person. I just didn't see anything about them, and thought I'd get some feedback. I still like them, but can understand why some might not. You'll see more of me, here, don't worry.

If I was going to do a commercial I'd let you know that I make custom formed leather holsters for in the pants and out, and would be happy to make you one, but I thought that a "real" commercial for my first post wouldn't be the best idea.

I do understand that many don't carry a DA style pistol and do not carry with hammer safety engaged. If you don't, this may not be your your safest choice. My experience is that no matter how thin the leather on my iwb holsters, there is still a significant difference compared to having no leather at all. But, I get the reasons folks have for not liking what they see in this setup.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links