Guns and Such

This is a discussion on Guns and Such within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a Christian, I never go out and knock on doors or force myself on people, but hope that my actions will draw those who ...

Like Tree33Likes
  • 18 Post By Bob2.0
  • 1 Post By Sontag
  • 1 Post By mwhartman
  • 2 Post By ericb327
  • 1 Post By Bob2.0
  • 2 Post By robhic
  • 1 Post By Snub44
  • 1 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 5 Post By Rock and Glock

Thread: Guns and Such

Guns and Such

As a Christian, I never go out and knock on doors or force myself on people, but hope that my actions will draw those who are curious about God to ask me their questions. The same approach is working with guns.

Since I woke up to the sound of anti-gun people trying to take away my 2A rights, I've converted three people to our side, all of whom are looking for guns of their own now. A copy of a gun magazine on my desk or my NRA hat is a good conversation starter. I've got a reputation for being a good guy who is rational and calm and easy to talk to (maybe because all of my years in ministry) so people are pretty quick to share their feelings with me. I find that people are just afraid, and that after a calm presentation of the facts it's not long before they see that what they need to fear is losing their Constitutional rights and the ability to defend themselves with those rights.

Of course I know that there are some people who are enemies of the 2A, just like those who are enemies of faith, with a mission to destroy freedoms they don't believe we should have. For those people, there's not a lot that you can do, but we can have an impact on some of the people around us... people who vote... who can, in turn, wake up others to the cause.

Another idea I borrow from ministry is inviting them to "Church" (aka, the range). There is nothing like sharing the moment when a person quits feeling helpless for the first time. As I go to the range almost weekly, I pay the $10 for them and let them use my guns starting with the less-intimidating 1911-22. In all three cases they've "seen the light."

Just a thought on a Sunday morning.

2. Remove Ads

Preach on, brother.

Thanks for sharing, keep up the good work; both His and yours.
    Remy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    I've known a couple people who found their faith as they approached their late years. Although it happens, I think it is less common for "well seasoned" people to turn from God. Similarly, I'd bet it is far more common, as they age, for non gun owners to find our path than for gun owners to become anti- gun.

I suppose there is something to be said about age and wisdom. Maybe it's a simplicity of priorities that gives us great clarity as we approach our final judgment?

Thank you for your work.

Follow the Lord! He will lead us to fulfill His plan!
    GhostMaker likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    9. We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of certain subjects (politics, religion, abortion, sexual orientation, etc) often degenerate quickly. For this reason, we DO NOT allow the discussion of these topics. We also discourage "caliber war" threads and strongly encourage you not to post a thread starting one. Regardless of your level of experience, caliber is a personal preference and what is right for you may not be right for others.
    From the forum rules!
    Brent95 and Rock and Glock like this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

The topic isn't about religion really. I see that I mis-titled my post and for that I'm sorry. People are free to believe what they want as that is another right to being an American. I'm really just talking about a non-confrontive grassroots approach to educating people about guns that is working for me. I won't get into any discussion directly about religion here, I promise!
    mg27 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob2.0 View Post
    The topic isn't about religion really.
    Nothing to apologize for, IMO. I found your post very interesting. I also like your approach! I am decidedly anti-organized religion but your style is laudable!

I don't care what people wanna do, as long as they don't try to force it on me. You're not pushing an agenda nor a religious belief. OK in my book. Using the same approach for trying to make gun-converts is a very good idea. Don't force it and let them see and decide for themselves. Good job!

You get more flies with sugar than with vinegar, eh?
    Aceoky and Bob2.0 like this.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

...I've heard from non-believers all my life that they don't have a problem with God, but with those who claim to be representing Him and their actions/attitudes don't match the Bible...it's said of Ghandi that he told someone that if he'd ever met a Christain, he'd have become one...

...Mama used to say our actions speak louder than our words...as Bob 2.0 showed us...we can draw others to want to find out more of what we're about...whether guns, God, or bowling...

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    I've known a couple people who found their faith as they approached their late years. Although it happens, I think it is less common for "well seasoned" people to turn from God. Similarly, I'd bet it is far more common, as they age, for non gun owners to find our path than for gun owners to become anti- gun.

I suppose there is something to be said about age and wisdom. Maybe it's a simplicity of priorities that gives us great clarity as we approach our final judgment?

Thank you for your work.
    Aceoky likes this.

9. We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of certain subjects (politics, religion, abortion, sexual orientation, etc) often degenerate quickly. For this reason, we DO NOT allow the discussion of these topics. We also discourage "caliber war" threads and strongly encourage you not to post a thread starting one. Regardless of your level of experience, caliber is a personal preference and what is right for you may not be right for others.
    Just remember we're talking guns here, nothing else.

GUNS
    Brent95 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    As we age, we become more aware of our weaknesses. I know I have, and for that reason I feel an increased need for protection in the form of a firearm. I am no longer young, dumb, and invincible. In my youth, guys slugged it out and settled their differences. Now they turn to extreme violence.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    I had someone who knew nothing about guns,but,wanted to learn.They asked me,if i could help them learn.I tried to show the basics,safety,and the normal stuff.

Personally,i don't discuss religion..If someone is truly anti gun,i've found out,at least so far,it's like talking to a wall.

I nicely tried to direct the conversation herein. Some chose to ignore me. Those that ignored me have been deleted. I am done arguing semantics and messaging and such. Read the rules, please, and understand WHY we have them.

Links