Nation Wide Permit to Conceal

This is a discussion on Nation Wide Permit to Conceal within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Without diving into your personal lives, I was wondering who carries a permit for where they live, where they travel, or for as much of ...

View Poll Results: Where I apply to carry

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • My State of Residence

97 55.75%
  • Wherever work/vacation takes me

10 5.75%
  • As much of the US as I can

67 38.51%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Nation Wide Permit to Conceal

Nation Wide Permit to Conceal

Without diving into your personal lives, I was wondering who carries a permit for where they live, where they travel, or for as much of the nation as they can. Obviously, we all have non-gun friendly states we try to avoid, but I find myself wanting to obtain a permit for as much of the United States as I can. The reason being in case of travel for business, vacation, and some times termporary duty away from my present duty station. So I attached a poll to find out who: Carries a permit just for where they live, where business/vacation often takes them, and for as much of the US as you can. Trying to find out if I'm the crazy one or if I'm just joining the club! Lol

-Kyle

2. Remove Ads

The two that are most-often obtained for that purpose are Utah and Florida. There are advantages and disadvantages to each. A great place to research these and others is www.handgunlaw.us.
    StormRhydr and squid86 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GSDSchutzhund View Post
    Without diving into your personal lives, I was wondering who carries a permit for where they live, where they travel, or for as much of the nation as they can.
    I do.

My home state, states I travel to, with the rare exception of a couple states I end up in where my CHL and OC is verboten.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaSig View Post
    The two that are most-often obtained for that purpose are Utah and Florida. There are advantages and disadvantages to each. A great place to research these and others is Handgunlaw.us.
    I've got my Az one, non-resident, but that pretty much covers my preferred travel routes from west to east coast and the majority of places I like to/would like to vacation at.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I obtained my CWFL for where I live. Fortunately, it also covers any state I'm likely to visit. Anywhere else is pure gravy.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Our North Carolina permit is good in over 30 states and covers anywhere I want to go and even some places I have no desire to go.
    Ghost1958 and PatAz like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I have my Missouri ccw and the Missouri permit is the most accepted in the country. So I'm covered. Whatever states that don't except it I don't want to visit.

I obtained mine from NC where I reside. That covers me most places I travel (excluding other countries). My HR 218 (for retired LEO's) covers me most other places although with that permit I have to carry a semi-auto because thats what I qualified with.
    GhostMaker likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

VIP Member
    Hard to answer with the limited choices given. I have my permit from my home state. It also covers where I work as well as where I vacation/travel to. As for work travel, I don't. Not many places a warehouse manager travels for work.

PS: My TDY days ended 19 years ago when I retired from the military.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GSDSchutzhund View Post
    Without diving into your personal lives, I was wondering who carries a permit for where they live, where they travel, or for as much of the nation as they can. Obviously, we all have non-gun friendly states we try to avoid, but I find myself wanting to obtain a permit for as much of the United States as I can. The reason being in case of travel for business, vacation, and some times termporary duty away from my present duty station. So I attached a poll to find out who: Carries a permit just for where they live, where business/vacation often takes them, and for as much of the US as you can. Trying to find out if I'm the crazy one or if I'm just joining the club! Lol

-Kyle
    I'm assuming when you go TDY you travel by private conveyance and reside off the base while there?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I'm assuming when you go TDY you travel by private conveyance and reside off the base while there?
    As much as I can. Sad to say but its the way to make the most money to bring back home.

I have a Georgia permit and it covers any state I wish to visit.

I avoid long-distance travel as much as I can. When I MUST go visit relatives (in-laws) it's in California so I'm screwed no matter what permit I have. There are enough folks at work that volunteer for TDY that I never have to go anywhere for that. If I did it would be San Diego, Pearl, or Yokosuka, so I would still be screwed.

So I've not had much interest in getting any other permit than WA.
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    I have both my state's permit, and the Utah non-resident permit. The latter I got so that I could carry in Ohio...we have family there and travel there at times. Actually, I wish they had a "national" carry permit, but am a bit afraid it would turn into some kind of registration scheme under this administration.
    Oldpsufan likes this.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

I have an Oregon Concealed Handgun License and a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit that cover me in most of my travels. Nothing works in California. I was going to add an Arizona permit, but Nevada dropped them as a reciprocal state. Florida doesn't add anything for me.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

NRA Endowment Life Member.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links