How do I CC when traveling from Illinois to Missouri?

This is a discussion on How do I CC when traveling from Illinois to Missouri? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a FOID holder and look forward to getting my Illinois CCW, but that's going to be about 270 days. I have a Florida ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Fausty
  • 2 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By Fausty

Thread: How do I CC when traveling from Illinois to Missouri?

How do I CC when traveling from Illinois to Missouri?

I am a FOID holder and look forward to getting my Illinois CCW, but that's going to be about 270 days. I have a Florida CCW. I live in southwest Illinois (AKA St. Louis metro area). I'd like to carry in Missouri, but I live in Illinois. While driving in Illinois, I must have my handgun (Glock 19) in a case and unloaded. Now, when I cross the state line, I can holster. Obviously I cannot do this whilst driving as that can be a bit dangerous.

My real concern is how to holster my weapon safely, accurately, and in a manner that maintains concealability. I've tried it once, but it involves (1) opening the case (2) inserting magazine (3) racking the slide (4) leaning forward to holster said weapon. All of the above items carry the risk of being seen, be it by a person or a camera. Item 4, I feel there is a certain amount of safety risk.

I've been considering an ankle holster. This would allow me to do items 1-4 while keeping the weapon at a reasonable low height and out of visibility. From here, if I wanted to holster IWB, I could find a solid bathroom with good "stall coverage" where I could make the transition from ankle to IWB. What process would you recommend I use.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Remove Ads

I would not carry a G19 in ankle holster.

I reholster in my car every time I have to drop off or pick up my daughter from school. No biggie. You are most likely over thinking this. Just don't do it while driving and you should be fine if you keep your finger off the trigger.
    stevenshizzle and joker1 like this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

VIP Member
    Holstering while seated in a car takes a bit of getting used to, but can be achieved much more easily using a holster with a mouth that stays open when empty.
    Aceoky and joker1 like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Honestly I think you are overthinking just a little bit. While I don't have to pack my pistol away much, there have been times where I just had to drive through, or in, Illinois, so I just make a quick stop prior to hitting the state line, unholster and unload while sitting in the vehicle. Pack it away in the pistol safe, then I hop out and stow the safe in the rear of the vehicle. Same goes for entering back into a free state . I usually wait until I find a rest area, since they are usually close to the border, but I have been known to pull over wherever, as long as it's safe. Anyway, I just grab the gun box and get back in the drivers seat. Load and holster the weapon while sitting and move on.

Unless you happen to be surrounded by people at the time, the risk of being spotted is fairly low, especially if you do it all in your vehicle, and at least in Missouri, simply exposing a weapon like that isn't a criminal charge, so it's not like you will get in trouble for it even if someone happens to glance at you and think they see you holstering. Pointing it at them to get them to mind their own business wouldn't be advisable though...

One thing to remember, and this I believe is especially hard for folks that aren't accustomed to carrying, is that nobody really notices all that much; so things that you feel are going to be glaringly obvious will most likely not get a second look from most folks. Now the one thing that will draw people's attention is you looking or acting suspicious, so just do your thing and relax. The more you make of it, the better chance that someone else will make something of it as well.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    I would not carry a G19 in ankle holster.

I reholster in my car every time I have to drop off or pick up my daughter from school. No biggie. You are most likely over thinking this. Just don't do it while driving and you should be fine if you keep your finger off the trigger.
    I agree you are way over thinking this. Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. You can holster your weapon just fine in your vehicle while you are not driving. No need to find a restroom. With that said, I have never ankle carried but I don't think it would be that hard to transfer from there to IWB in a vehicle.

IWB with a Glock takes a certain presence of mind IMO that not only one's finger doesn't touch the trigger but nothing else does either (clothing, holster opening etc. etc. etc. )

On another note- I thought IL would NOW accept other states CCW permits while DRIVING (you cannot exit vehicle armed to pump gas etc. - without an IL permit however) ???? So methinks that solves the entire issue IF you remain in your vehicle while IN IL...

When you can, pull into a rest stop and holster your firearm. That's what I do when I get out of Illinois. good luck
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

I am always confused about this, do I need an FOID card to transport a gun within IL as a non resident? (cased, locked, etc) Also, what is this about honoring permits provided I stay in my vehicle now?!

The new CC law just passed allows for non resident CCW permit holders to carry (ONLY inside vehicle ) IF you exit for any reason you must put inside a locked vehicle OR inside a locked case- you cannot carry at all outside of vehicle without an IL permit (which no one knows when they will be available) check Gary Slider's posts for more info

HERE:

Info on New Mexico, Idaho, Illinois, Mississippi and Arkansas.

Illinois is now a “Shall Issue” state. There are numerous places off limits. Other than being Shall Issue they do allow you to store your firearm in your vehicle in most places that are off limits. They also have a safe journey section. If you have a permit/license to carry from your state of residence you can keep your concealed firearm on your hip while travelling through Illinois.

That's great news. Not so much for the OP since he is an Illinois resident, but great news for anyone in an adjoining state (like me).

You must have a valid resident Permit/License from your home state to Carry a Loaded Handgun in a Vehicle in Illinois.
    Aceoky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    That's great news. Not so much for the OP since he is an Illinois resident, but great news for anyone in an adjoining state (like me).
    Same here!

Links