Cutting grip, do it or not?

Cutting grip, do it or not?

This is a discussion on Cutting grip, do it or not? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thinking of cutting the grip on my Glock 20sf down to subcompact size. Any thoughts, experiences, or positive or negative comments on vendors that do ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Cutting grip, do it or not?

Question Cutting grip, do it or not?

Thinking of cutting the grip on my Glock 20sf down to subcompact size. Any thoughts, experiences, or positive or negative comments on vendors that do excellent work in this area. Am I wading into a mistake. I like the idea of the short grip with full length barrel for CCW.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I've seen it done with other models, so it seems feasible. Mike1956 has a gripped-chopped G17 he is fond of... he'd be a good person to ask, I'd say.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

It's just my opinion but I would not do it. Others may have a different opinion but if I wanted a sub compact Glock I'd buy one. To each his own of course.
    archer51, miller_man and CDW4ME like this.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    the grip is the hardest part to conceal so it makes sense. now before you get out the hacksaw, can you just install the G20 slide to the G29 frame?
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I've seen it done with other models, so it seems feasible. Mike1956 has a gripped-chopped G17 he is fond of... he'd be a good person to ask, I'd say.
    Lou at Custom 1911-Glock- M&P's chopped my 17 down to a 19 length. He did a perfect job on it. You are right, I am quite fond of it. If it is being considered solely as a means of improved concealment, I would recommend trying an Ohio Special prior to the grip chop.
    Ohio Special IWB - MidWorld Holster
    That holster is specifically designed for the full-sized semi platforms. Remy did a nice review of it here:
    My Ohio Special IWB
    As it is, I now have one holster which accommodates both my carry Glocks.
    Attached Images
    Aceoky likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

From full size (G20) to subcompact (G29) is a pretty big jump. Most "conventional" GLOCK grip chops are from full to compact or from compact to subcompact. For instance, I like G17 to 19 chops. And I like G19 to 26 chops. I don't know that I've ever seen a G17 to 26 chop. IMHO, I'd just go pick-up a G29 & have... both!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I say go for it. Post pics when you do. Thought of doing it to my XD, but haven't got around to it.
    I like the idea of the shorter grip for concealment with the longer barrel.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    In all likelihood you'll ruin any resale value. You'd be better off buying a subcompact if that's what you want.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    One thing to consider is the loads you fire in your G20. If you are shooting something in the neighborhood of slightly hotter than .40 it would be no big deal, but if you prefer to run a lot of the Norma level or hotter boutique rounds the mass of the full sized slide may be a hindrance with a super short grip in recoil management.

I had a G29 years ago that I purchased specifically to run full power ammo in and I didn't like it with the short grip. If I had gotten the G20 I would likely still own it today.

The one thing I've learned about Glocks over the years is, whenever I make some kind of customization, I always end up regretting it. I would not chop the G20. Instead, I'd be tempted to get a G29.
    CDW4ME likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    In all likelihood you'll ruin any resale value. You'd be better off buying a subcompact if that's what you want.
    This isn't aimed solely at OldVet but the quote neatly sums up that position. I disagree with it. The grip is generally the main issue when CCW and primarily dictates how concealable a sidearm is. Going to a compact/sub-compact will indeed make the gun more concealable. But doing so gives up slide mass, barrel length and sight radius. All else being equal, a full size gun with a shortened grip should be easier to shoot well. The increased sight radius makes it easier to aim and the increased mass of the slide improves you ability to deal with the recoil. It makes a lot of sense to chop the grip if you can do so without damaging the gun.

A Glock is a good candidate for this, obviously. It wouldn't work at all with, say, an HK USP where the mainspring runs down the inside of the back strap.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I wouldn't do it.
    If it didn't turn out right...
    I would just get a 29SF if that's what I wanted.

However, if you do decide to do it, post pics.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

No! I wouldn't, but I'm not you.

I think going from full to sub will make the gun top heavy. I hate top heavy guns, which is why I quit carrying the XD40SC.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Wonder if its possible to get A new lower and just move parts including serial number part. To a 29 sf lower???
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I'd buy another gun before I chopped one. That's just me.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links